DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 575
6 members and 569 guests
CCS762ZX6, davidcycle, Nobrains, ReasonableDoubt, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
brakes
Unread
  (#1)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

brakes - August 3, 2010, 11:28 AM

I have absolutely no brakes (front nor rear). I bled the lines, no difference. This bike has sat unused for a few years. I'm currently tearing apart the caliper.

Any suggestions?

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Say Jur Oh

August 3, 2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlaw View Post
I have absolutely no brakes (front nor rear). I bled the lines, no difference. This bike has sat unused for a few years.

Any suggestions?
Start by rebuilding your master cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#3)
See the mouth and the eye

August 3, 2010, 11:30 AM

^ what he said, the plunger in your master cylinder is probably bad

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Unread
  (#4)
I hate Hybrid drivers

August 3, 2010, 12:22 PM

yep, had the same problem on my 1980 CB650.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

August 3, 2010, 12:46 PM

You can test the master cylinder before tearing it apart. Take a set of needle nose pliers and clamp the brake hose right outside of the master cylinder. Now squeeze the brake lever and if the master cylinder is the problem the lever will feel the same but if it's good you will be able to move the lever about an inch before it locks solid. I hope that makes since, if not I can take pictures to make it easier to understand.
Unread
  (#6)
2 wheels for life

August 3, 2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
You can test the master cylinder before tearing it apart. Take a set of needle nose pliers and clamp the brake hose right outside of the master cylinder. Now squeeze the brake lever and if the master cylinder is the problem the lever will feel the same but if it's good you will be able to move the lever about an inch before it locks solid. I hope that makes since, if not I can take pictures to make it easier to understand.
Pics would definite help .. trying to figure out the same thing for my bike as well .. brakes are soft and lever adjuster is on 1 and its coming to close to the handle bar upon squeezing

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 3, 2010, 01:36 PM

Okay with the needle nose pliers squeezing the hose where pictured you would squeeze the brake lever and if the lever was still spongy you either have air in the master cylinder or it needs rebuilt. If the lever is solid then you have a problem from the hose to the calipers or the calipers themselves. This test can't be performed if you have stainless still lines. Make since?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 1.jpg (96.8 KB, 119 views)
Unread
  (#8)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

August 4, 2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Okay with the needle nose pliers squeezing the hose where pictured you would squeeze the brake lever and if the lever was still spongy you either have air in the master cylinder or it needs rebuilt. If the lever is solid then you have a problem from the hose to the calipers or the calipers themselves. This test can't be performed if you have stainless still lines. Make since?

Thanks for that pic man!!

Ok, so... I bled the lines and pinched the cable and had pressure. So that means it's in the caliper?... Took apart the caliper and the 4 little circle things in there were stuck closed. Banged them to the fully open position and going to test that out.

Am I doing right?

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
Unread
  (#9)
B
It goes to 11.

August 4, 2010, 12:04 PM

You need to clean those four circle things. They are pistons that resemble cups that press the pads out against the rotor when you increase pressure down the line by pulling on the lever.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#10)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

August 4, 2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
You need to clean those four circle things. They are pistons that resemble cups that press the pads out against the rotor when you increase pressure down the line by pulling on the lever.
I sprayed them with brake cleaner, prior I soaked them (the whole caliper) in carb cleaner. Then they were hammered open. I did this all prior to heading to work, didn't have time to test them.

After these mamajama's are operational my bike will be back in working order. It's been a long time coming.

Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

August 4, 2010, 02:51 PM

If you pulled the calipers apart and soaked them you really should replace the rubber seals. The caliper pistons should also be cleaned with some emory cloth or some really fine grit sand paper. You want a nice cross hatch in the pistons before reassembly.
Unread
  (#12)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

August 4, 2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
If you pulled the calipers apart and soaked them you really should replace the rubber seals. The caliper pistons should also be cleaned with some emory cloth or some really fine grit sand paper. You want a nice cross hatch in the pistons before reassembly.
Why are you fuckin' with me

Unread
  (#13)
Licensed Rider

August 4, 2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:
He's not. You probably destroyed the rubber seals by soaking them in carb cleaner. In order to get the caliper pistons cleaned up really good, you use really fine sand paper to get them smooth. If you do'nt replace the rubber seals (rebuilding the caliper), dirt and grime will get into the pistons and youre pistons will be stuck (also known as a stuck caliper).
Unread
  (#14)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

August 4, 2010, 04:18 PM

Thanks guys!!

Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

August 4, 2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Lol... Why do you think I was fucking with you? I have been a motorcycle tech for 10+ years so if I make a suggestion it's for a good reason.