DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 488
3 members and 485 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Cleaning / Detailing
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Cleaning / Detailing - May 16, 2016, 11:17 PM

Im a clean freak! Ive been around cars all my life - so i know a thing or two.
However, apart from watching cleaning videos online i know nothing.

Last time i lubed my chain, i placed a bit too much and the next day i saw it all on my rim and under tail ...hell i even got some on my pants. I bought a degreaser and cleaned the chain, rim, tires, around the engine (where the the foot stand is).

But Im not completely satisfied and i would like to have it cleaned much better. Is there a shop that does such detailing? Or do you guys have a technique?
Any help will do...

Note: My bike is 07 CBR 600rr

AMIT
"work smart, not hard"

2007 CBR 600rr
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

May 17, 2016, 12:21 AM

If it's not a show bike or trailer queen, stop driving yourself nuts trying to detail it to the Nth degree.

Motorcycles are wide open to the elements. They're going to get dirty.

Wash it with Chemical Guys products. Make sure the solvents are safe for plastics and aluminums which are the two big errors made (in my opinion).

Use the two bucket method and a lead blower to dry for overall best results.

Wrap the rectifier in a plastic to protect it from water ingestion.

A nice easy stream is all you need to get started. Hosing the bike down does not mean turn it up to firehose strength. If you have a foamer attachment for the hose great, if not, be gentle - wash in one direction. Don't make swirly circles.

Always start with the chain and wheels. That's the dirtiest part. Clean the chain with a grunge brush (oversized toothbrush with a U shaped head and brushes on the inside of the U) and the wheels / brakes first, then work from the top of the bike down. If you work the wheels / chain / brakes last you risk blasting any of the leftover oil, sludge, brake dust and junk right back into your freshly washed bike.

Dry it well.

Clay bar it if you feel necessary. If not, add a layer of wax then shine. An All-in-one like Honda Clean still works pretty darn well but if you're cheap , you can hit the wheels with 99 cent store furniture polish and save the Honda clean for windscreen and bodywork

No tire dressing on the tires. That's dopey. Most dressing is silicone based, and silicone is slick. Who wants anything slick on M/C Tires? Someone with a death wish is what I reckon.

Finally get some lube on the chain. No need to douse it. Today's chain lubes are very good at penetrating o-seals and going where they need to be with just sparing amounts. I prefer to give each link a .2ths second burst of lube at the pins on interior surfaces of the link - then go for a slow 3 minute ride. Centrifugal forces will push the lube through the outer surfaces.

I hope off and inspect the chain again. Maybe another squirt if I missed a spot or I don't like the coverage. Any sling I wipe down and keep it moving.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student

May 17, 2016, 01:44 AM

Thanks! Few follow up questions:
1. What products from chemical guys do you recommend?

2. What is / where would my rectifier be?

AMIT
"work smart, not hard"

2007 CBR 600rr
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

May 17, 2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

Paging Turk

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com

ZX14: 222 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
EX650: 130.7 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

May 17, 2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

On your bike, I wouldn't know where the rectifier is, but on most bikes they're either under the tail section or under the seat.

I prefer their Car Wash & Gloss 1-step soap. It's a low sudding / foaming formula which makes cleaning much easier and has high lubricity so everything glides across the surface to prevent scratching. It feels like you're washing with a light machine oil and not soap and water, and it leaves the surface very slick and glossy. Sometimes I don't even need to polish after if I don't want to.

Chemical Guys - Wash & Wax Car Shampoo with Gloss (1 Gal)

The Pink is good too. Same as stuff as the Lemon, just a different scent and more suds
Chemical Guys - Mr. Pink Super Suds Shampoo & Superior Surface Cleanser Soap (1 Gal)

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

May 17, 2016, 12:13 PM

Get this kit. $80 including shipping.
Problems solved. Everything you need including buckets and chamois. Enough product for at least 50 M/C washes and probably 20 car washes.
Chemical Guys HOL121 - Best Car Wash Bucket Kit (11 Items)

Last edited by Heist; May 17, 2016 at 01:22 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

May 19, 2016, 09:53 AM

Thanks a lot!
Greatly appreciate all your insights also!

AMIT
"work smart, not hard"

2007 CBR 600rr

Tags
cleaning, detailing