DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 177
6 members and 171 guests
2blueyam, CCS762ZX6, GRN96WS6, nootherids, RRonin, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
DIY: Fender Eliminator (06 - 11 R6)
Unread
  (#1)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
DIY: Fender Eliminator (06 - 11 R6) - December 1, 2010, 09:50 AM

Okay, so I figured it could not hurt to show what I did since I see people regularly asking about options to clean up the ass of their R6. So, with out further ado.....

This stems from a combination of being a little cheap, liking do it your-self jobs, and random ideas that came to me.

1: I took the stock fender that comes with the R6 and pulled that sucker off the bike because let's face it, the stock fender is booty (and not in a good way).

2: Next, I bought a $4.00 metal saw blade at Lowe's (Home Depot was a buck more and I was in Lowe's that day). I choose to cut about two thirds of the stock fender off. This is the point of no return so make sure you like where you are going to cut. I had the original one off my 07 R6 so I could screw it up and know I had a back up if I did not like it.

3: I then took the actual bracket that holds the tag off the stock fender. That part was simple.....it's held on by two bolts and those are easy to undo. So far I have left the bolts in place rather than cut them in case I decide to use them to mount some kind of signal lights. Although I am probably going to go with tag bolt lights that also have a turn light option (I will keep you posted on how that works out).

4: This step is really not strictly necessary but hey, ya got a hot bike, why not keep it clean and neat. I Picked up a $4 metal file at Lowes also and filed down the rough edges so things were all smooth. We all know the ladies love a close smooth shave.

5: The next step is down to do what feels right for you (mind out of the gutters you sicko's). I dropped the whopping sum of $6 bucks at Lowe's (yeah, they cleaned up big time of this trip...my poor bank account..;(..) and picked up some JB weld.

*posters note* First, you will have to bend the piece you cut out just a little bit so it lines up on either side of the hole in the tag bracket. Also, you will have to experiment a little with the JB Weld to get a nice hold. The first time I did it I just put some on the face and let it harden. A co-worker was checking it out and pulled on the two pieces and on the second tug it came apart. The second go-round I made it a point take some of the excess and push it up on the sides so there was more to hold it in place. Works MUCHHHHHH better!

6: Last step I took.....spray painted it with a nice matte black spray paint. I went with the one that they make for outdoor grille's (home depot this time....gotta show the orange some love). This was the first coat but right after I re-did the JB Weld so it's not quite clean yet.

The best part is it will mount right back in place using the stock screws and not leave a hole in the ass of the bike. I will mount it late this week and see if the brake light provides enough light to see the tag at night.

So, that's it. Feel free to posted comments, criticisms, random disparaging remarks......

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#2)
SUPERBITCHIN'

December 1, 2010, 10:09 AM

they can still pull you over and give you a ticket because you don't have a light for the tag in VA. How do I know...

I do like it though. I got an inexpensive one on ebay last year. This summer actually put the stock one back on, it gives me more hook points for the bungy net.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#3)
konichiwa bitches

December 1, 2010, 10:14 AM

That's why I am picking up LED tag light bolts. Hold the tag in place and light up mah plate.... ;0

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#4)
SUPERBITCHIN'

December 1, 2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdgrphcs View Post
That's why I am picking up LED tag light bolts. Hold the tag in place and light up mah plate.... ;0
LED not DOT approved...just saying.
I still like your creation.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#5)
2 wheels for life

December 1, 2010, 10:27 AM

if it is close the tail light then you dont need extra lights

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
konichiwa bitches

December 1, 2010, 10:37 AM

Salva.....Ah, now it makes sense. Damn federal laws.

Deep.....It will sit about an 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the brake light so that should provide illumination. I will post up a pic once I get it mounted.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Unread
  (#7)
Got my Permit

December 20, 2010, 03:05 PM

I might be interested in doing this with my bike.

have you ever tried using door hinges? I think thats what i'll be doing.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
konichiwa bitches

December 20, 2010, 06:33 PM

No, had not thought of using door hinges. Try it and lemme know how it works.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Unread
  (#9)
Eddie would go ...

December 20, 2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6pit View Post
I might be interested in doing this with my bike.

have you ever tried using door hinges? I think thats what i'll be doing.
actuate them

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#10)
konichiwa bitches

March 26, 2011, 11:24 PM

Remembered that I was going to post a pic once it was in place so here ya go.....no need for the tag bolt lights I was thinking of. I re-did it using Fender from the new bike because the screws that hold it in place are a different size. I changed the position a bit and the brake/running light actually lights it up.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Unread
  (#11)
././././././././

March 27, 2011, 12:09 AM

Great diy write up..Integrated taillight or no?
Unread
  (#12)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 27, 2011, 06:31 AM

Looks good but be careful using JB weld were vibration can crack it and then break off. Would suck to get home and realize you have no tag. As for hinge material try The Tractor Supply. They carry smaller hinge stuff. Lowes and HD should also.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#13)
On vacation

March 27, 2011, 08:27 AM

Nice write up man! +1 to what Dodge said about the JB. I would suggest using a small L-bracket with 6-32 flat head bolts and lock nuts to hold it on. And you may have done this, but you'll want to prime any bare metal before spraying your top coat. Otherwise, the paint will usually peel off in a few months. You may have done it and just skipped it in the write up, but in case you didn't, just something to consider for next time. You did a great job, I dig it and thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#14)
konichiwa bitches

March 27, 2011, 02:22 PM

Jez.....No on the integrated so far but I am thinking about it.

Dodge....I did give a little thought to this not holding and actually have four zip ties in place in case it does come loose. That way the tag would still be there.

CantGetCaught.....I did prime the metal before hand. I should have mentioned that part.

Thanks for the feed back. I will look into the small hinges and see what I can find.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Unread
  (#15)
Railing!

April 6, 2012, 08:39 AM

bump,

Was using this. $20. Worked okay. Just cheap material. Had it break from normal riding. Supported it with some generic brackets while I work on this project. Have a buddy who can weld, so he's gonna legit weld for me vs JB weld(used to fix my cheap bracket, broke barely playing with it, no way it would have withstood the vibrations from daily riding)

What'd you end up doing for turn signals? Or did you not?