DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 489
3 members and 486 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
gas tank help
Unread
  (#1)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

gas tank help - June 21, 2010, 12:57 PM

My gas tank looks like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...c/DSCN1430.jpg

I was referred to this post: HOW-TO: Clean, fix & seal the inside of a tank.

However, I do not have a rust problem. I have the remnants of the gasoline that was in there. For a lack of a better description, my gas tank looks like the inside of a heavily used bong.

Until today I was going to use what was recommended in Nunya's post because it seemed most excellent advice. But when I was at the place that sells the product he recommended the dude told me that was only for rust. What he recommended was to use kerosene (about a 1.5 gallons) to break up, and remove, said gunk. If I were to use kerosene would I have to seal the tank again or would it be a one shot deal?

Or please recommend the right way to go about this.

Thanks!!

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I hate Hybrid drivers

June 21, 2010, 01:21 PM

Today's gasoline breaks down a lot faster than it used to.

I'm no professional but this is what I would do. Get some BBs, dump some in the tank, add some carb dunk tank cleaner, crank up the volume and listen to your favorite dance song and shake that ass. Dump all the stuff out of the tank and then clean the tank with spray carb cleaner. Don't use WD40, it leaves a residue just like gas. Inspect and repeat as needed.

Or if you are super talented, cut the gas tank in half, clean it out really good, then weld it back together.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Meh

June 21, 2010, 02:46 PM

Kerosene will not strip whatever the coating on the tank is.

Remove the pump assembly if you have one inside the tank.

Acetone will break up damn near everything but may strip the tank. It will also break down rubber.
Unread
  (#4)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

June 30, 2010, 08:57 PM

This process is the biggest pain-in-the-ass ever.

I am following the advice of some and have purchased carb cleaner and the 3 piece kit (marine cleaner kit).
I am at the carb cleaner part of it all. I put in about 20 bb's and have only been able to locate 14 of them. I have gone through two cans of carb cleaner and still have a fair amount of sludge that doesn't want to come out. I have devised a plan to make a scooper and a sponge to extract the remainder.

I haven't even started step two, being the marine cleaner.

The advice of cutting the tank in half has been contemplated repeatedly but the idea of welding it all back together.... yeah...

Also, buying a new tank alltogether would have been the more cost-effective way to go. I've invested a lot of money and time into a nightmare!!!!!!

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

June 30, 2010, 11:39 PM

Well, there's no easy answer on this one...BB's, a length of dog-chain, etc, they all work, but take lots of shaking, and in my case, a loud 80's music soundtrack. I've gone the acetone route with older tanks on bikes that had carbs, but with newer bikes that have EFI, I didn't go any stronger than kerosene if there was a pump assembly in the tank. The only thing I learned from all this was, to keep my tank full of fresh gas (which is no problem, as I ride year round), and if I'm getting a project bike, it better be damn near free if it needs a "carb," or "tank" "cleaning".....
Unread
  (#6)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

July 5, 2010, 12:57 PM

Finished:

This is the most work I've ever done myself on my bike and I am so grateful for having done it myself. I complained but it was worth it. It made me overcome my fear "doing it myself." Surprisingly it was quite simple and fun. I was taught how to take apart a lot of other things too. Changing plugs, air-filters, batteries, chains, wheels, and a few others, are no longer a mystery to me. It's just a matter of doing it.

I take a little more pride now in my motorcycle.

Thanks to all those who threw advice my way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gastank1.jpg (301.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Gastank2.jpg (461.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg gastank3.jpg (40.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg gastank4.jpg (168.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg gastank5.jpg (29.6 KB, 14 views)