DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 552
4 members and 548 guests
CCS762ZX6, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
GSXR 600 2006 - What is FI indicator?
Unread
  (#1)
accuratecy is final...

GSXR 600 2006 - What is FI indicator? - September 30, 2007, 08:47 AM

Need help finding owner's mannual. I have the service manual but that does not have the info I'm looking for. Anyone know where I can get one?

Just changed my oil and radiator fluid and went out for a test ride. While riding, noticed the red lamp on and FI flashing. What does the FI light mean? Fuel Injection? Just filled the tank also... if it has anything to do w/ it.

Getting ready for a long ride tomorrow to PA for a steak&cheese...

Any advice is appreciated.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
It was me.

September 30, 2007, 09:38 AM

It does mean fuel injection. It could be a bunch of things. Got to get it looked at. I just recently had that light on an it turned out to be my exhaust valve.

Mohawk Ryderz Road Captain
www.MohawkRyderz.com

"We drop sukaz!"

-
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GwgOmlI0ht.../s400/byah.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Widow Maker  
Unread
  (#3)
TEAM.SUKUZI

September 30, 2007, 10:20 AM

all suzuki's years 2006+ will get the flashing FI light...it's a dumb sensor, but nothing to effect ure bike..it can be adjusted by the dealer...it usually is the exhaust valve.

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#4)
Now with a TBSP of love

September 30, 2007, 10:37 AM

http://pdftown.com/Suzuki-GSX-R600-Service-Manual.html
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
FI...
Unread
  (#5)
Got my Permit

FI... - October 2, 2007, 05:07 AM

V,

The FI definately indicates a problem. You can pull the dealer codes by shorting out a coupler located in the tail section of your bike. There is one error that is a hugh problem with the 2004 and up models; code C28...C28 is an error code for the STVA, (Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator...)

Hopefully that is not the case...Check some of the Gixxer forums out there, I have seen plenty of write up's on pulling the codes...but if your still under warranty take it to the dealer....

SG...
Unread
  (#6)
Do you need an eDUCATIon?

October 2, 2007, 06:12 AM

It's a Suzuki, the light will eventually just turn off.

http://www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
1999 Ducati Monster 900s
2003 Suzuki SV650

Nubbs: You can play with my underwear, but don't f*** with my beer.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Retired to most ...

October 2, 2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space-ghost
V,

The FI definately indicates a problem. You can pull the dealer codes by shorting out a coupler located in the tail section of your bike. There is one error that is a hugh problem with the 2004 and up models; code C28...C28 is an error code for the STVA, (Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator...)

Hopefully that is not the case...Check some of the Gixxer forums out there, I have seen plenty of write up's on pulling the codes...but if your still under warranty take it to the dealer....

SG...
If the STVA valve is going out you will be able to tell without flashing the code.

Put the bike in neutral, pull the clutch in and turn the key to the on position. If you hear anything other then the high pitched whine you always hear when you start the bike the STVA valve is done and needs replaced. It will normally sound like a clicking or grinding noise and then quickly smooth out to the normal high pitched whine.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#8)
Spike

October 2, 2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblizzxdc
all suzuki's years 2006+ will get the flashing FI light...it's a dumb sensor, but nothing to effect ure bike..it can be adjusted by the dealer...it usually is the exhaust valve.
Not true, is your STVA valve. If you start loosing power around 5-6k rpm's then you have to replace it. It is no longer a servicable unit. In order to get a new one, you have to buy the whole upper throttle body.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#9)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

October 3, 2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954
If the STVA valve is going out you will be able to tell without flashing the code.

Put the bike in neutral, pull the clutch in and turn the key to the on position. If you hear anything other then the high pitched whine you always hear when you start the bike the STVA valve is done and needs replaced. It will normally sound like a clicking or grinding noise and then quickly smooth out to the normal high pitched whine.
What is that high pitched whine?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#10)
Resident Rodent

October 3, 2007, 07:55 PM

Yup. That light means something.

I've had GIXXERS since 2003. Here's what it meant for me when I saw it:

- '03 GSX-R 600 - It meant, "you idiot, when drilled that hole through the battery box to mount that extra brake light, you drilled though the ECU ... and the ECU doesn't work too well with a hole through it."

- '04 GSX-R 750 - It meant, "you idiot, when you cut the exhaust off you cut it too short and those wires you taped off were used for sumthin that the ECU needs to do it's thing."

So, that's my story.

Hopefully, yours when you figure it out, won't begin with "you idiot".

LOL

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com

Last edited by Magic-Rat; October 3, 2007 at 07:58 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Got my Permit

October 4, 2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH
C2H5OH

The high pitch whine, I believe is the little moter within the STVA, combined with the actual secondary valves opening and closing...If I remember correctlly, the part has a mini controll board in it with a motor and a quarter gear sprocket...When you turn the bike on, the STVA(or the ECU) runs a quick test where it fully opens and closes the secondary valves. If the part is not functioning properly, it will not fully open and close the valves...
Unread
  (#12)
Retired to most ...

October 4, 2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH
The fuel pump and the STVA valve. Should sound like a smooth high pitched whine and then silence.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#13)
Winnar!!

October 4, 2007, 08:23 AM

it's your set valve... it needs adjusting. Easy fix once you understand how to tighten the actuator cables.

I bet you fugged them up when you put the right fairing back on... Or you started the bike before it was done with the set valve voltage calibration. It's a headache, a lot of people on gixxer.com have had to deal with (i.e. look it up).

BTW, I'm in springfield too... so if you need help with it let me know.
Unread
  (#14)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 8, 2007, 02:40 PM

Get aftermarket exhaust and remove that valve and the wire in the ECU, no worries.

I got that light once when I didn't let the bike go through it's diagnostics at startup when I first got the bike but now I have a complete exhaust system with no valve!
Unread
  (#15)
PewPew

October 8, 2007, 02:47 PM

buy something besides a gixxer... never seen an FI light or FI code flag on another other brand after servicing

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost