DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 573
6 members and 567 guests
CCS762ZX6, davidcycle, Nobrains, ReasonableDoubt, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
How to - 1/5 throtte control on your Gixxer
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

How to - 1/5 throtte control on your Gixxer - March 10, 2010, 09:59 PM

This is kind of a "how I did it" and a product evaluation all in one...

A popular modification is the 1/5th throttle control. What is this you may ask? Well, the easiest way to explain it is this - it's a mod that enables you to turn your wrist less for full throttle. Have you ever just twisted your wrist all the way and then you have to readjust your grip to turn the throttle a little more? Well, with this mod - that's no more. Double Z Racing ( www.doublezracing.com ) sells such a mod. Here is their description - "If you twist that throttle at all, you know how long and slow the stock factory throttle is on your bike, reaching for WOT (wide open throttle) can be a real pain. The solution is easier then you may think. Installing a 1/5th throttle spacer onto your stock throttle grip will reduce that long slow throw to a quick crisp 72’ of rotation. Click 1/5th throttle insert to find out if your bike can be converted and how to do it." A lot of brands sell conversion throttle conversion kits that are about $100 bucks or so. I heard that a lot of Suzuki guys are putting R-1 throttle tubes on their bikes since they are bigger for the same effect. Double Z Racing basically came up with a plastic mold that increases the circumference where your throttle cables are and voila! I have put this on all my bikes and I will continue to put this on my future bikes...

This modification is a breeze and doesn't take long at all.I just installed one on a 2006 Suzuki GSXR600.
A couple of minor modifications had to be done. Here how it went:

Remove the bar ends. The throttle assembly is only held on by two phillip screws. Take them off and the housing separates into two pieces.The throttle cable is held in place by two silver pins. Twist the throttle as far as it can go and one of the throttle cables will be loose. Remove the loose cable and let go of the throttle. Twist the throttle the other direction and remove the other cable. The throttle grip should now slide off

The top photo is a picture of a stock throttle. The second photo is a picture of the throttle with the insert installed. I forgot to take a picture of it standing alone. OOPS..

When I reassembled the throttle tube to the casing, I noticed that it started to bind. What I had to do is take my Dremel and shave some of the plastic from the inside.
Before and after shots:

I also had to make the throttle cables a little longer. I cut off the lock ring of the and adjusted the cable as far as it could go. On my Kawasaki ZX10R, I actually had to cut a little of the threads off so I could adjust it all the way.

Reassembly time. Make sure that you get that little pin in the hole of the tube or it wont mount correctly and it will spin everywhere.

Reinstall the casing and your DONE!! There are WAY better directions and pictures on his website. I give this mod a thumbs up. Put this mod along with some gearing and that about as close as to a MotoGP WOOOOOT as your going to get...This mod definitely helps you with throttle control and if your a track junkie - its a must have..

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588

Last edited by Scorpion9R; March 10, 2010 at 10:01 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 11, 2010, 09:25 AM

I so want to do this on the SV....

I just get nervous as shit working on my bike...lol...It's like if it isn't broke then don't fix it and I can see it now, as soon as I take apart my trottle cable, I'll have some shit go wrong with my throttle that NEVER was an issue...lol

Damn. One day, I'll do it.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Here we go Steelers :)

March 11, 2010, 12:49 PM

You can also buy a $15 R6/R1 throttle tube to achieve 1/5 or 1/6 throttle throw on a Gsxr. This way you dont have issues with the PVC changing the throttle action on you bike. I did the R1 throttle mod a few years back in about 15 mins without any issues. The R1/R6 throttle tube are a direct replacement and are grooved so the throttle line doesnt move left or right.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213953
Unread
  (#4)
Super Moderator

March 11, 2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Ryan View Post
You can also buy a $15 R6/R1 throttle tube to achieve 1/5 or 1/6 throttle throw on a Gsxr. This way you dont have issues with the PVC changing the throttle action on you bike. I did the R1 throttle mod a few years back in about 15 mins without any issues. The R1/R6 throttle tube are a direct replacement and are grooved so the throttle line doesnt move left or right.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213953
Good to know. But I dont think itll work on other manufacturers will it? Ive been running this setup for years and never had an issue..Its part of my top 5 mods!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#5)
Mojito Anyone?

March 11, 2010, 05:19 PM

Just like this..

The "Zip Tie" Mod

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

March 11, 2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
I so want to do this on the SV....

I just get nervous as shit working on my bike...lol...It's like if it isn't broke then don't fix it and I can see it now, as soon as I take apart my trottle cable, I'll have some shit go wrong with my throttle that NEVER was an issue...lol

Damn. One day, I'll do it.
Yep but you gota start somewhere. When I started working on my bike last year I broke something else every time. What ysed to take hours takes minutes now.

R6 Throttle on my 06 GSXR. It barely doesn anything...but I dont have to regrip anymore atleast.

CCS Expert #13

The few, the proud, the last of the GSXR riders...
Unread
  (#7)
Super Moderator

Angry March 11, 2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew231506 View Post
Yep but you gota start somewhere. When I started working on my bike last year I broke something else every time. What ysed to take hours takes minutes now.

R6 Throttle on my 06 GSXR. It barely doesn anything...but I dont have to regrip anymore atleast.
That's the biggest thing right there..It made a bigger difference on my 10r..I also went two up in the rear sprocket..touching the throttle makes that monster wheelie

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
Unread
  (#8)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 12, 2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew231506 View Post

lol....you are right....I think the FIRST thing I ever replaced on my bike was a bar end weight....then I did a clutch lever....next thing I know I was pulling out clutches, breaking chains and replacing sprockets, and popping in new spark plugs....

Still get nervous as shit though as I'm working on random various things on the bike....

I will most likely do the throttle mod on the SV sometime this spring...

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#9)
Has an idiot exemption

March 12, 2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R View Post
That's the biggest thing right there..It made a bigger difference on my 10r..I also went two up in the rear sprocket..touching the throttle makes that monster wheelie
So because you didn't grip the throttle correctly in the first place you made your 1000 harder to control?

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#10)
RIP Jeff Vega

March 12, 2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9 View Post
So because you didn't grip the throttle correctly in the first place you made your 1000 harder to control?
Still haven't figured out what that throttle thing is for...but I sure know what the brakes are used for.

I've never really had to much of a problem with the throttles...some are longer than others, I just change my grip. But again, I'm not racing and trying to run by best lap time in general.
Unread
  (#11)
Super Moderator

March 12, 2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9 View Post
Its just more comfortable trouble maker!!

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
Unread
  (#12)
racer fo real

March 13, 2010, 08:38 AM

the r6 throttle tube is a safer mod. Ive done both ways. I had one of those inserts in an sv racebike a few years ago and at the gnf it cracked inside the housing and caused the throttle to bind up. luckily it didnt cause a crash, but the potential is there. It lasted almost a complete season

Arnie
A&M Motorsports-VP race fuel vendor
CCS/WERA - expert #38
AMA - #318
NESBA Control rider
Motorcycle excitement coach
2012 gsxr 750
2009 gsxr 1000
2012 rmz 450
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ahastings Send a message via AIM to ahastings  
Unread
  (#13)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

August 25, 2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahastings View Post
the r6 throttle tube is a safer mod. Ive done both ways. I had one of those inserts in an sv racebike a few years ago and at the gnf it cracked inside the housing and caused the throttle to bind up. luckily it didnt cause a crash, but the potential is there. It lasted almost a complete season
WoW!
Unread
  (#14)
Resident Rodent

August 25, 2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
lol....you are right....I think the FIRST thing I ever replaced on my bike was a bar end weight....then I did a clutch lever....next thing I know I was pulling out clutches, breaking chains and replacing sprockets, and popping in new spark plugs....

Still get nervous as shit though as I'm working on random various things on the bike....

I will most likely do the throttle mod on the SV sometime this spring...
It went like this for me ... so, I offer it to you:

After the "newness" of the shiny bike wears off ... well, if you screw up, it's just money.

And on the next bike, you'll be ready (or more ready) from what you learned on the first bike.

Don't sweat it. Just be careful and if you make a mistake, learn from it. You won't do it again ... and 8 years from now, you'll be a pro at it ... reaping return on your investment (of mistakes from everything you did before) ... and you'll be posting in these threads like I am now saying, "go for it".

Most of the pain will be in your time, rather than your money (if you take your time, think through what you wanna do, use the right tools, read the manual).

The single biggest expense I have had is: ... OVERTIGHTENING BOLTS

Probably 20 different occasions ... and $2,000 of "oops" over the last 10 years.

You would not believe how easy it is to do. You are better off under-tightening and using thread lock.

Hints (from 10 years of "the hard way"):

- Buy the service manual for your bike

- Get stands

- Torque on bolts matters (a lot) ... don't over do it ... really use the numbers they say

- I say again ... Torque on bolts matters (a lot) ... don't over do it ... really use the numbers they say

- Use the proper tools (metric means metric ...)

- Use thread lock on everything except the bolts that are there just to hold on a fairing or screen.

- Do not use an electric drill driver to take-out/put in bolts ... use hand tools (trust me on this ... you won't go wrong with hand tools)

- When the book says "do not re-use" ... they mean it. For example, certain washers ... and bolts.

- When the book says "tighten bolts in a star pattern" ... they mean it.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#15)
Super Moderator

August 25, 2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Rat View Post
It went like this for me ... so, I offer it to you:

After the "newness" of the shiny bike wears off ... well, if you screw up, it's just money.

And on the next bike, you'll be ready (or more ready) from what you learned on the first bike.

Don't sweat it. Just be careful and if you make a mistake, learn from it. You won't do it again ... and 8 years from now, you'll be a pro at it ... reaping return on your investment (of mistakes from everything you did before) ... and you'll be posting in these threads like I am now saying, "go for it".

Most of the pain will be in your time, rather than your money (if you take your time, think through what you wanna do, use the right tools, read the manual).

The single biggest expense I have had is: ... OVERTIGHTENING BOLTS

Probably 20 different occasions ... and $2,000 of "oops" over the last 10 years.

You would not believe how easy it is to do. You are better off under-tightening and using thread lock.

Hints (from 10 years of "the hard way"):

- Buy the service manual for your bike

- Get stands

- Torque on bolts matters (a lot) ... don't over do it ... really use the numbers they say

- I say again ... Torque on bolts matters (a lot) ... don't over do it ... really use the numbers they say

- Use the proper tools (metric means metric ...)

- Use thread lock on everything except the bolts that are there just to hold on a fairing or screen.

- Do not use an electric drill driver to take-out/put in bolts ... use hand tools (trust me on this ... you won't go wrong with hand tools)

- When the book says "do not re-use" ... they mean it. For example, certain washers ... and bolts.

- When the book says "tighten bolts in a star pattern" ... they mean it.
+100000!!!! These are golden words to live by,,,

-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588