DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 492
2 members and 490 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
HOW-TO: Get my hands to stop vibrating
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

HOW-TO: Get my hands to stop vibrating - June 22, 2006, 10:05 AM

Alright...
During my last long ride I fell victim to the classic hand numbness that sometimes occurs from riding a good distance. Irish John (Mocaba) and I were discussing some of the remedies that may help reduce the symptoms of the classic vibrating hands... and sadly ladies... they only feel like they're vibrating and they actually are not (in this case).

Anyway, does anyone know of any remedies to lessen the symptoms? I usually try to clap my hands, give my left hand periodic breaks on clear straights, and wrap my hands around a cold drink at the gas station during refills... anything else? Figured someone out there might have something better... that is all.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to HUD750 Send a message via MSN to HUD750  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

June 22, 2006, 10:10 AM

You can try putting some rtv sealer in your handlebars. And make sure you have steel ends to help kill the vibes. Also make sure your levers are inline with your wrist.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Nothing here

June 22, 2006, 10:25 AM

Relax your grip and for some people.....shift to a higher gear.
Unread
  (#4)
( * )|( * )

June 22, 2006, 10:35 AM

Could be your grip, you can try using your legs to support your upper body which will take some of the pressure off your hands. Also, try not to hold the bars so tight.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#5)
Jeez If You Love Honkus

June 22, 2006, 10:43 AM

Couple things to try: change your grips out to gel or foam padded if you still got the stock grips on; try some gel-padded gloves; install a bar snake or lead shot in you handlebars to quell the vibes; like dodge said adjust the controls (brake/clutch levers) on the handlebar so that your wrists don't bend when resting on them or working them; buy a cheap $10 throttle rocker and clip that on your throttle.
Unread
  (#6)
Now Riding Red

June 22, 2006, 10:51 AM

Cool thread. I discovered the other night on the interstate that when I'm in the hunched over 'racer' position my hands don't vibrate/go numb. I think this may have to do with the angle of the arms and pressure on the internal blood vessels and veins in the hand and wrist. I sit upright again and within minutes that cold tingle comes again. Mostly to my throttle hand since you can't really take a break on that one while doing interstate speeds. I've tried repositioning my hand in every configuration that still lets me hold on to the throttle but to no avail. Best solutuion so far.. 'racer' position.

‎"Death walks beside every man, but only the mercenary turns and waves."

Troye-ame-Ven, Writer, Philosopher, Mortal

M
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

June 22, 2006, 01:34 PM

I'll check my control(s) position to see where they are at and also loosen my grip as I know I've got a tight grasp... hopefully it'll help. I already use my legs quite a bit. Wait... what were we talking about again?

Thanks for the input. Sounds like good advice.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to HUD750 Send a message via MSN to HUD750  
Unread
  (#8)
( * )|( * )

June 22, 2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUD750
I'll check my control(s) position to see where they are at and also loosen my grip as I know I've got a tight grasp... hopefully it'll help. I already use my legs quite a bit. Wait... what were we talking about again?

Thanks for the input. Sounds like good advice.
When I say legs, I mean pay special attention to your foot position and try squeezing your legs to offload the weight from your hands. Also, you could play around with your actual seat position as far as how far up or back you sit on the bike.

Another thing to consider is the amount of seat time you have, time away from the bike could give you these symptoms.

Hope some of this helped!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#9)
Eddie would go ...

June 22, 2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
When I say legs, I mean pay special attention to your foot position and try squeezing your legs to offload the weight from your hands. Also, you could play around with your actual seat position as far as how far up or back you sit on the bike.

Another thing to consider is the amount of seat time you have, time away from the bike could give you these symptoms.

Hope some of this helped!
+1

squeezing the tank helps offload those wrists...also work on a solid core (yep crunches)

a tip I got from RRonin works for me : change up your grip (right hand) from full hand to thumb forefinger every once in a while...

cheers

l
Unread
  (#10)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 27, 2006, 03:21 PM

Riding position has been discussed.
Gloves too tight.
Grip loosen it.
Bar ends.
Weight in bars.
Return spring removal

After these and they still don't work.
Look at a Throttle Body Sync.
It will make your bike run much smooter. No matter if you bike has 600 miles or 6000 miles it may still be off. My GSXR was off on all 4 and horribly rough. Now it is as smooth as my last bike the fjr.
The fjr too at 600 miles was off a lot and then I did it again at 7000 and it was only slightly off but it did make a difference.

One last thing, I have found that keeping my elbows in instead of riding with my elbows out like a cruiser or dirtbike (old habits) keeps my wrists in line and helps also...

Last edited by n2sport; June 27, 2006 at 03:55 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
You meet the nicest

June 28, 2006, 04:47 PM

Lots of good tips here.

Recently I installed a throttlemeister on my VFR because I intend to do some touring and numbness (of the hands!) has always been a problem even on short rides.

These bar ends weigh about a pound each. Not a cheap solution but very high quality machining and it works great. I just did a 480 mile day and my hands felt fine. Zero numbness.

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/home/ac...tlemeister.htm

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#12)
Give me the Ban Button!

October 19, 2006, 11:19 PM

I have this same problem. I have tried just about everything that you guys have suggested to no avail. I am thinkn it is just something i am going to have to deal with. The bar ends in that link are like $120. If they really work I do not have a problem with buying them. But are there any that are cheeper?

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#13)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

October 20, 2006, 07:07 AM

One person recommended a Throttle rocker. I use this and it helps for those long rides when you want to stretch that right hand.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#14)
Spike

October 20, 2006, 07:09 AM

These are great ideas. I don't squeeze my grips but not only do I get the vibration but my hands shake too. I'm not an aggressive rider anymore, I'm laid back and just relax but GSXR's are known for they're high vibration.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#15)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 20, 2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o
I have this same problem. I have tried just about everything that you guys have suggested to no avail. I am thinkn it is just something i am going to have to deal with. The bar ends in that link are like $120. If they really work I do not have a problem with buying them. But are there any that are cheeper?
I also have Heli Bars.
Another thing is a friend of mine put big rubber grommets at the tank bolts, that cut don't on some vibs also.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm