DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
4 members and 555 guests
GRN96WS6, HenryW, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
HOW-TO: Install a scorpio alarm
Unread
  (#1)
B
It goes to 11.

HOW-TO: Install a scorpio alarm - April 28, 2006, 03:56 PM

The brand harness was literally plug and play, you will have the generic harness left over, you will not need to use it. I would suggest investing in the Brand Harness ($25) for you bike model.

Supplied Parts:
Main control Unit - MCU (the black box)
6 Vampire clips (2 extra)
Generic install Harness
Dust cover for components socket (on MCU)
Rechargeable Keyfob (Pager)
Power Cord for Keyfob recharge
Install instructions/User Manual

Optional Parts:
Brand Harness (for individual brand of bike, no splicing required)
Perimeter Sensor (jacks into components socket)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preping the Bike

Brand Harness:

1) Sink 4 vampire clips to the turn signal, the power brake wire, and the ground brake wire (consult your install manual for colour codes for each bike manufacture)
2) Those vampire clips then each connect to a slip connection on the brand harness
3) Connect the "O" connector from the brand harness to the positive battery terminal (dont connect it to the negative or the unit wont power on ... disreguard that)

Overview : We have spliced the 4 vampire clips to the bike, connected them to the brand harness via the slip connections, and connected the "O" ring power wire from the brand harness to the battery.

Note : DO NOT have the brand harness connected to the MCU especially durring step 3, that is the LAST thing you will do

Main control unit:

4) Run the anntenna wire from the main control unit along a fairing, it's best to keep it away from metal parts so mount it on plastic
5) The perimeter sensor connects via the alternate components plug on the main control unit (if you do not have a perimeter sensor plug the supplied dust cover into the alternate components socket on the main control unit)

Overview : We have connected the perimeter sensor to the Main Control Unit (MCU) and placed it inside a fairing or trunk on the bike via the provided velcro, and have run the antenna from the main control unit along a fairing in the bike.

Connecting the two components

Now you will proceed to plug the brand harness into the main control unit. It will beep twice loudly. Now power on your Keyfob (pager) by holding down the top left button. Keyfob programming and instructions are included in the supplied install manual.

You're done!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Script - By way of a product review the scorpio is VERY sensitive out of the box. Arming the perimeter sensor with 5 of us standing 5 feet away set it off immediately. The MCU sensitivity and the perimeter sensitivity can both be calibrated on the respective units.

Total install time - in the dark, for the first time, in a parking lot, with 15 hecklers and one JohnnySpeed: 45 mins

Pictures will be posted following my next install of this unit.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.

Last edited by B; April 28, 2006 at 04:01 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#2)
Retired to most ...

April 28, 2006, 08:31 PM

Man you gotta break down the exact how to's on testing the alarm ... it's gotta be done right!!!!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#3)
Asphalt, its what it is

April 28, 2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954
Man you gotta break down the exact how to's on testing the alarm ... it's gotta be done right!!!!
How to test : Show to Bens and not let him know, walk up to bike shake it and count how many seconds it takes for Ben and Tanya to RUN out of the house. BTW it was like 12 seconds, Friggin awesome I was rolling in the parking lot
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Retired to most ...

April 29, 2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidearm
How to test : Show to Bens and not let him know, walk up to bike shake it and count how many seconds it takes for Ben and Tanya to RUN out of the house. BTW it was like 12 seconds, Friggin awesome I was rolling in the parking lot
Ok now THAT is funny!!!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

May 3, 2006, 09:23 AM

I finally installed mine last Friday. Ben was right... the alarm is SIMPLE to install (a blindfolded chimp with one hand tied behind it's back could install this thing!). It's neat. It's loud. AND I'm sure happy I got this model with the rechargeable remote. That little sucker drains fast. The alarm has been on full time since the install, so now I just have to go check the drain on the bike's battery.

Ben -- one thing tho'. Did we not get the RIDs with this order? I checked a couple of sites on the "SW (-0034)", and it seems the RID does not come up on the package contents list. Did we overlook that? I see the RID on the list for the "SE (-0006)", but it looks like it was swapped for the "super" remote in the "SW (-0034)". Don't know what would possess Aritronix to do that. Let me know if I am mistaken, but in any case, there wasn't one in my box. Just in case, I will probably talk to Derek about ordering one. Let me know...

I hope the rest of you are basking in the relative 'safety' of your new alarms. Peace!
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

May 3, 2006, 09:32 AM

David, if you could talk to Derek about that, there wasn't one in mine either. This should have been the full taco setup. See if he can throw them in, or give us a deal on a few. I am leaving for cancun so I wont be on or availible until Tuesday most likely.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#7)
BOHICA

May 3, 2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidearm
+ Rep for you on that one.

One a sidenote, what type of amp draw does the system put on the bike? Should I look into getting one of those solar cell battery trickle chargers or something for when the bike is in Germany? It won't be ridden everyday, though I'm sure I can muster a few miles in to keep things up to snuff.

Does the manual have any statistics on current draw?

'05 SV
'05 SSR 125 SB-A
'98 Impreza RS

Member of the 72% Club
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to AJ711  
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.

May 3, 2006, 09:59 AM

Very low draw... however there is one, if the bike is parked for an extended period (over 2 weeks) I would put a solar trickle charger on it.

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

May 4, 2006, 03:28 PM

OK. I contacted Aritronix (the makers of the Scorpio Alarms). First off, let me say that Anthony in Customer Service is AWESOME! That dude is like the great Zen Master of Scorpio Alarms -- he holds a wealth of information in his noggin', and is willing to share it all!!!

Anyway, it seems the "SW (-0034)" models do NOT come with the RID accessory. It is NOT everything in the “SE (-0006)” plus a weatherproof remote. So, if we want the RIDs for our bikes, we will have to order them. I’ve already spoken with Derek at Coleman, and he can get them for us at $20. Just let me, or Ben, know how many are needed.

Sorry about the confusion, but blame it on Parts-Unlimited for publishing a catalog that, without close inspection, can be misinterpreted when contemplating the various versions of Scorpio Alarms. Aritronix has made the same complaint, but have no say in what Parts-Unlimited ultimately publishes.

ALSO, Derek says Coleman in Woodbridge still has four (4) SW’s in stock. So, if any of you still want an alarm system, they are there.

MORE INFO…
(1) There should be factory connector kits available for the 2005-6 Honda 600RR/1000s. This fact is not listed on the websites yet. ALSO, you lucky bastids will have an easier time installing the RID accessory, as you will no longer need to splice it into the bike wiring. Honda changed over to flat pin connectors in the wiring for the newer bikes, so that is now plug-n-play, as well. The rest of us will have to continue cutting our wires. =(
(2) For Honda owners, when installing RIDs, disregard the included instructions, and install the RID at the Fuel Pump. The vibration at this site is vastly lower than at the install location designated in the installation instructions.
(3) The FY2006 Main Control Units (MCUs) were upgraded with newer battery backup systems than from the previous FY2005 models. They were able to upgrade with newer capacitors, so battery lifetime is increased.
(4) The range on the SW models has been improved over the SE models. Say mile for the SW vs. mile for the SE.
(5) For those of you (i.e., R-1BobbyB) who snapped off the antenna on the SE version remote, then superglued it back. NOT GOOD! Please contact Aritronix (1-800-428-0440) and get another case for your remote. JUST a case, NOT the entire remote. [Apparently this happens a lot.]
(6) For those of you with an SE version, an are wowed by the SW version’s waterproof remote… Sorry, but the software is different between both versions. Also, I was told that the SW remotes have A LOT MORE scratch-resistance than the SEs.

That’s all I can remember for now. If I think of anything else, I will edit this post later.
Unread
  (#10)
MSF Student

May 10, 2006, 10:44 AM

UPDATE:
In case some of you are having issues with your alarm triggering improperly....

I called Scorpio today, and told them my alarm is triggering immediately when I arm it. They said, Yes, there is a problem with it. They discovered a software glitch 2 days ago. Seems that when arming the alarm, the electrical current from the turn signals is being mistaken for the ignition, and the alarm is like, "Hey, don't steal the bike!" To fix this problem, they are sending me another MCU to replace the one I have.

So if any of you are having the same problem... it's not you... maybe. ;p
Unread
  (#11)
B
It goes to 11.

May 10, 2006, 11:13 AM

Cool, thanks for the updates David. My bike's still in front of my house but they towed my contour... my fucking condo association is a bunch of heartless black souled nazis...

SV650s for SALE!!!

Last edited by B; May 10, 2006 at 11:16 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
Addicted to Cajen food...

May 10, 2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
Cool, thanks for the updates David. My bike's still in front of my house but they towed my contour... my fucking condo association is a bunch of heartless black souled nazis...
What else is new... That's over half the country and all US policies in your eyes... hahahahaha
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Italian segziness...

May 15, 2006, 07:27 PM

cool so sounds like you guys are liking these things. Hey ben, I plan on getting one when I get back from mexico on the 17th. also let me know if you guys are still gonna do that group buy for the pcIII's.
Unread
  (#14)
Boonie Crew Rider

May 21, 2006, 09:57 PM

I've got one of the SW's for my Gix 6, but couldn't get any more than 100 yards Line of Sight before I wasn't able to control my alarm. I'm sending back the remote and the MCU. They think the software was locked into bench test mode. *shrug* As far as the remote being more resistant to scratches, I've already got a nce one across the face of mine.

Hagar
2000 YZF-600
2003 Dodge Dakota R/T
2006 GSX-R600
2008 Toyota Solara Sport
Unread
  (#15)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

August 8, 2006, 09:37 PM

Do these void the warrenty on the bike?