DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 521
3 members and 518 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
HOW-TO: Ride in Cold Weather. It’s easy as warm apple pie.
Unread
  (#1)
Pleased to meet me

Lightbulb HOW-TO: Ride in Cold Weather. It’s easy as warm apple pie. - September 28, 2006, 07:31 AM

Brought to you by nunyadambusiness and rekoniz:
  • Wind protection. Getting the wind off you should be your first priority. Tall windscreens may not look hip but they will make a big difference. Tucking in close to the bike and getting the most of your faring will help as well. If you have exposed skin, cover it.
  • Electric clothing. Safe and cozy describes the next step. Electric liners, vests, grips and such will guarantee a longer riding season. Check out www.aerostich.com and www.gerbing.com for tons of electric goodies.
  • Layers. Dress in layers and remove them as the temperatures rise. The outer layer works best if its wind/water resistant. Blocks wind, traps body heat and repels precipitation. Ride all day and slowly reverse the process.
  • Be aware of your core temp and possible signs of hypothermia. It slows mental and physical reflexes. Stop more frequently to warm up if necessary. Don't let yourself shiver too long.
  • Plan routes according to the weather. Not good to be in the middle of nowhere with no place to get dry or warm up. Heck, stop in the middle of a ride and get some warm apple pie.
Ride in the cold and laugh as you pass the fat HOG member in their gas guzzling SUV.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Rocket girl

September 28, 2006, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the info.... I didn't ride at all last winter, and I get cold riding in the evenings now.... So thanks again!!!

Angie
05 GSX-R 600 sold

I will be back on 2!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to angiegsxr 600 Send a message via MSN to angiegsxr 600  
Unread
  (#3)
whoa preppy......

September 28, 2006, 08:17 AM

To add some:

Make sure your winter gloves are NOT tight. Tight gloves reduce circulation. Reduced circulation makes it very hard for body to pump warm blood to your extremities.
Same goes for boots. Wear a size bigger if need be. They will allow for additional layers without constriction.

Heated gloves and grips work well but only heat your hands. A jacket will keep your core warm. Keeping your core warm with also keep your hands and feet warm due to warm blood being pumped to your extremities.

Do NOT eat a heavy meal during a ride. (some might say this is never a good idea) A big meal with FREEZE you. I am not exactly sure as to the reason that is, but small light snacks will keep the chill off.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

September 28, 2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
Do NOT eat a heavy meal during a ride. (some might say this is never a good idea) A big meal with FREEZE you. I am not exactly sure as to the reason that is, but small light snacks will keep the chill off.
Blood is required for digestion, the more food ingested the more blood needed for digestion. And as you pointed out, reduced blood flow means a reduced ability to heat the extremities. It also causes the brain to slow down, this is the reason a lot of people get tired after eating large meals (which is always magnified when turkey is a part of that meal, hooray tryptophan).
Unread
  (#5)
back.

September 28, 2006, 08:52 AM

and wear ur chaps!

that helps me.

may the force be with you

Unread
  (#6)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

September 28, 2006, 01:38 PM

But chaps leave the most valuable parts unprotected! BRRRRR!

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

September 28, 2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
this is so true. your better off starving.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#8)
DCSB.net NC division

September 28, 2006, 06:17 PM

warm up your tires before you lean and roll on the throttle.. they're like hard plastic when you first roll out of the garage in december on diablo corsas.

get a neoprene face mask like this http://www.s4military.com/wnfm114h.jpg

'04 CBR1000RR and lots of Volvos (and now a new Tundra for hauling them around when they all break)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to boostdemon Send a message via Yahoo to boostdemon Send a message via AIM to boostdemon Send a message via MSN to boostdemon  
Unread
  (#9)
Lurking

September 28, 2006, 07:57 PM

Get a neck gator made by columbia or someone similar made out of fleece to block wind and trap heat. In my opinion, this one piece will make the most difference in winter riding.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa  
Unread
  (#10)
Posting Nothing Relevant

September 28, 2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:

if you can eat and ride safely you SO rock!!!

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#11)
DCSB.net NC division

September 28, 2006, 11:53 PM

oh... and in Nunya's case... get a warmer seat

'04 CBR1000RR and lots of Volvos (and now a new Tundra for hauling them around when they all break)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to boostdemon Send a message via Yahoo to boostdemon Send a message via AIM to boostdemon Send a message via MSN to boostdemon  
Unread
  (#12)
Pleased to meet me

September 29, 2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdemon
oh... and in Nunya's case... get a warmer seat
Yeah, that seat is either too cold or really hot. Warmed my hands on the oil tank at a stop light this morning. Good times, good times.
Unread
  (#13)
DCSB.net NC division

September 29, 2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness
Yeah, that seat is either too cold or really hot. Warmed my hands on the oil tank at a stop light this morning. Good times, good times.
hehe.. undertail exhaust kept me mostly warm this morning. But adding the fleece liner into my firstgear jacket makes all the difference... i think i can do another 10 with the pants too, but once its less than ~45 i think im gonna take the gas guzzler this winter.

Unread
  (#14)
Retired to most ...

September 29, 2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness
I've done that a million times riding in the winter. Rollin along, hands get cold, each down with the left hand and grab the crank cover ... instant HEAT!!! Don't do this if you are a bit on the short side or you're riding a much larger bike.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#15)
whoa preppy......

September 29, 2006, 07:37 AM

I loved my Vmax for the fact I'd place my hands on the rear cylinders at stop lights when it was chilly. Grip heaters with V-boost.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to