DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 481
2 members and 479 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
HOW-TO: Sell a used sportbike
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

HOW-TO: Sell a used sportbike - May 6, 2009, 04:41 PM

This will be developed more later. Right now, the most important tip I have is to be very careful about maintaining a relationship with the buyer. The problem I'm having is that the new owner calls me every time something happens with the bike, even though I explicitly stated that I was selling "as is" with no warranty, written or implied. My suggestion is to cut the line at the point of sale unless you already know the buyer from before.

Feel free to post your tips and information that directly relates to selling a used bike. I will ask mods to remove any nonsense posts so consider yourself warned.

CHECKLIST:

1. Do your homework before you advertise. Visit the website of your state's DMV to find out what documents you need and how to fill them out. You may need a separate bill of sale with the selling price, in addition to the title application on the back of your title. You may also need the signatures witnessed by a Notary Public so make arrangements for that.

2. Take flattering photos of your bike before you advertise to include in the advertisement. Posting internet classifieds without at least one photo is a waste of everyone's time. If you don't know how to get a photo from your camera of choice to the advertisement, then take some time and learn.

3. Make it very clear that the bike is being sold "as is" with absolutely no expressed or implied warranties. Only offer some sort of guarantee if you know exactly what you are doing. Do not be tempted or pressured to offer any sort of warranty in order to complete a sale.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; May 14, 2009 at 10:31 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

May 6, 2009, 05:19 PM

Buy a new digital speedo and cruise around for a few miles and advertise low mileage.

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#3)
Snuggly Jeff can't b dead

May 6, 2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiixerFiend7 View Post
Buy a new digital speedo and cruise around for a few miles and advertise low mileage.
Yeah, make sure it isn't lower than what's on the title...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to andyman97  
Unread
  (#4)
unapologetic

May 6, 2009, 05:33 PM

• Guarantee that every low side has been from a tip-over in the driveway and that "the scratch" is only visible from like 2 feet away and not further.
  • List aftermarket items at FULL RETAIL PRICE (because that's what everybody pays these days with the internet and all) and factor it into the selling price. Then show the math and offer like 20% off the retail price! Like everyone would put that mod on, right?
  • Warranty the bike for like 30 days and 1000 miles to ensure COMPLETE second hand, used product customer satisfaction. Offer to give the bike monor services for free through a "hook-up".
  • Offer to take the new buyer on a ride where he can follow you on his "new" purchase and drag knee like the pros!
  • Offer free set-up advice for as long as he owns your bike.
Just a few. They will keep coming as the night wears on.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#5)
2 wheels for life

May 6, 2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
  • Guarantee that every low side has been from a tip-over in the driveway and that "the scratch" is only visible from like 2 feet away and not further.
  • List aftermarket items at FULL RETAIL PRICE (because that's what everybody pays these days with the internet and all) and factor it into the selling price. Then show the math and offer like 20% off the retail price! Like everyone would put that mod on, right?
  • Warranty the bike for like 30 days and 1000 miles to ensure COMPLETE second hand, used product customer satisfaction. Offer to give the bike monor services for free through a "hook-up".
  • Offer to take the new buyer on a ride where he can follow you on his "new" purchase and drag knee like the pros!
  • Offer free set-up advice for as long as he owns your bike.
Just a few. They will keep coming as the night wears on.
Hilarious!

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

May 6, 2009, 06:10 PM

OSD --- this is a great idea for a thread. I just sold my 07 rr last week and I had no idea what I was doing!
Unread
  (#7)
2 wheels for life

May 6, 2009, 06:13 PM

My question is do you need a bill of sale? I have my tag and registration to return to DMV

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#8)
GDMFSOB

May 6, 2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
My question is do you need a bill of sale? I have my tag and registration to return to DMV
You only need to notify the Nazi's in Richmond. No need to turn tags in or anything else. The back of your registration has the form on it. Notify them that it has been sold, notify your county too. PP tax and regristration fees are pro-rated so you may have a $ or two coming back to you.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

May 6, 2009, 11:40 PM

In Maryland, you have to return the tag BEFORE you drop the insurance. If you call your insurance company and drop the insurance and then go to the MVA and return your tag, you will be hit with insurance violation and fined. I sold a car once and didn't realize this because where I'm from (Kansas), they don't give two schlitz what you do with the tag after a sale. Maryland requires electronic insurance reporting straight from the agency so they know exactly when you terminated the coverage. You do not need to prove the sale occured with any bill of sale or any other documentation.

Another thing about Maryland, you pay for two years of registration at a time. If you sell the bike within the second year, you get no prorated refund. If you sell it before you get into the second year, you can get half refunded.

If you sell a newer bike in Maryland, make sure to provide a bil of sale to the buyer. The title application will suffice for older bikes. I don't remember what the cutoff is, maybe 5 years old or so.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#10)
TPG og

May 7, 2009, 12:19 AM

Marylands a real PITA, especially if you bought the bike outta state. Gaithersburg MVA has gotta be the dumbest MVA around. Sucks your still getting calls, I call the guy who sold me mine to tell him how badass the bikes been. Why don't you tell the dude to join a forum and bother them? Hell they could join .net and post up all they want.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#11)
Snuggly Jeff can't b dead

May 7, 2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
In Maryland, you have to return the tag BEFORE you drop the insurance. If you call your insurance company and drop the insurance and then go to the MVA and return your tag, you will be hit with insurance violation and fined. I sold a car once and didn't realize this because where I'm from (Kansas), they don't give two schlitz what you do with the tag after a sale. Maryland requires electronic insurance reporting straight from the agency so they know exactly when you terminated the coverage. You do not need to prove the sale occured with any bill of sale or any other documentation.

Another thing about Maryland, you pay for two years of registration at a time. If you sell the bike within the second year, you get no prorated refund. If you sell it before you get into the second year, you can get half refunded.

If you sell a newer bike in Maryland, make sure to provide a bil of sale to the buyer. The title application will suffice for older bikes. I don't remember what the cutoff is, maybe 5 years old or so.
It's seven years. Any vehicle 7 years old or newer, Maryland MVA requires a bill of sale.

It's funny, my girlfriend moved from PA to MD last year. She was a student and her car was registered and insured for NY state. Immediately after moving, she got a MD license. Soon thereafter, she registered it in MD, but she left NY state insurance on it. Guess what? No FR-19 was being sent to MVA. They tried to hit her with about 2k worth of insurance costs through a letter in the mail. Fortunately, I used to work in insurance, dealing with multiple states, so I understood how it worked. I sent her to the MVA and explained to her that she was ONLY required to carry the MD minimum liability limits (NY liability exceeds MD). Regardless of any stupid electronic form, the LAW says you have to carry these limits of liability and as long as you can prove that you have had no lapse in coverage they CAN NOT LEGALLY fine you or force you to pay anything else.

She dealt with someone at the MVA who couldn't grasp that concept and kept insisting that she had to pay the fees until she talked to a supervisor who was able to wrap their mind around what was going on. Needless to say, she didn't pay them shit. But I could see someone who didn't understand the process would be bullied into giving 2k to the MVA because they thought they had to.

On the plus side, although the MVA has ridiculous forms and procedures, if you just look at the MVA website, all the forms are there, along with instructions on how to go about doing almost anything. And if there's something you're unclear on, you can email them and they're always good about getting back to you. Everytime I went to MVA to do anything, I always printed out info from web pages and emails with questions I had, that way they couldn't bs me and tell me that I'm wrong.

Make sure you've got plenty of ammo and you're positive you have everything you need before going, though, or you could be wasting a lot of time on a trip there...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to andyman97  
Unread
  (#12)
T.R.I.T.D.H

May 7, 2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiixerFiend7 View Post

do people seriously do that? wow.....gives me a sick feeling to know that. but a good one to be on a better look out.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#13)
2 wheels for life

May 7, 2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
do people seriously do that? wow.....gives me a sick feeling to know that. but a good one to be on a better look out.
thats what I think of old bikes with few hundred/thousand miles

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#14)
Mommy's Little Monster

May 7, 2009, 10:51 AM

Yea when I sold my bike two months ago, I just had the buyer sign a bill of sale, and I emailed him a copy of it. He contacted me a few times after. I answered one email but that was it, after a while he stopped trying to contact me. If there were issues he was concerned about he should've brought those up sooner. (Not that there was anything wrong with my bike) but "Sorry, not my problem anymore."

Definitely always have the buyer sign a bill of sale stating it's sold in as-is condition and no warranty is involved. Include the amount paid for the bike, VIN, and mileage too.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#15)
I'm to good for your air

May 7, 2009, 11:24 AM

/\/\/\ +1

When they come to look at it, have them sign a liability form before they ever touch it. I've seen people who are looking at bikes in a dealership and just people looking at mine and when they swung their leg over the top, and lifted it up off the stand they almost dropped it because they were trying to look like they knew what they were doing and not being careful. The last thing you want before you sell it is for a potential buyer to tip it over, say his sorry's and leave and now your stuck with a bike that needs stickers...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hedfan1