DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 501
4 members and 497 guests
GRN96WS6, MPSniper, Sal_the_man, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
HOW-TO: Be a Track Buddy
Unread
  (#1)
Addicted to Cajen food...

HOW-TO: Be a Track Buddy - March 2, 2006, 12:47 PM

http://www.balsamfir.com/MotoJournal/moto/track-buddy.html

Arrive Early

Be sure to get a good night's sleep. You are going to be running around a lot, and it will be a long day. If you are sharing a room with someone bring ear plugs. Bring ear plugs even if you aren't sharing - your room may be next to the freeway.
Expect an early start. If you are supposed to be at the track at 7:30 a.m. you probably need to get up at 6:30 a.m., maybe 6 a.m. if you are going to get breakfast. Some track day sponsors provide a full eggs and bacon breakfast, some provide a continental breakfast, some leave you on your own. I suggest that you eat a good breakfast, some protein, some carbohydrates, lots of water/juice. I think it is a good idea for the rider to have a good breakfast too, but each rider has their own routine. If your rider has the jitters and doesn't want to eat, you will likely have to feed them after the sighting laps.

Unloading the Vehicle

Pull everything out of truck/van and set it aside where it will not get in the way of unloading the bike. I don't set up anything until the bike is on the ground. See Unloading the Bike.

Setting Up the Pit

Most riders have a minimum of a canopy and couple of chairs. Some riders set up a pit that downright comfortable as well as efficient. See Setting Up the Pit.

Getting the Bike Ready

Like the old saying goes, "Take care of your horse first." Most riders will want to check out their bike as soon as you get it unloaded.
See Preparing Your Rider's Bike.

Registration

Your rider must register. You can't help here. Use this time to finish getting the pit set up.

Tech Inspection

Your rider brings their bike to technical inspection.
For schools, typically the rider's gear is inspected as well. Some riders put on their gear and ride over to tech inspections, other riders go over in street clothes and will appreciate your carrying some of their gear for them.

Riders Meeting

Track buddies should attend this meeting. Information about the weather, the condition of the track, how the riding groups are set up, and other important tidbits are announced in this meeting.
If you want to ride the track on the back of a bike, talk to the track day sponsor. Most sponsors will allow this, but only certain riders may take people 2-up on the track, and, you must have appropriate riding gear. At a minimum this means jeans, a leather jacket, a helmet, gloves, and sturdy shoes that will protect your ankles. The 2-up session typically happens right after lunch. You will be asked to sign a waiver.
Some track sponsors include lunch in the price of the track day. Some don't. Some tracks have a roach coach or snack bar. In my riding group, the track buddy's lunch is arranged and paid for by the rider. If your lunch is coming from a sponsor's catered lunch, now is the time to verify that you have either the hand stamp or the meal ticket.

Getting Your Rider Ready to Ride

See Getting Your Rider Ready to Ride.

Sighting Laps

The riders ride the track in groups behind a person who knows the track well. The first lap is a slow lap, it gives the tires a chance to warm up and it gives riders who have the jitters a chance to ride them out.
You may want to talk to the person in the pit next to you to find out where the good places to watch the riders are. In general, I try to be back in the pit before my rider returns.
Sometimes you won't know what to do to be useful, and you may be tempted to start moving things around just to be doing something. Please restrain yourself.

Morning Session

My perspective as novice track rider is that the rides during the morning session are good for getting the rider and the bike in the track groove.
See Supporting Your Rider During the Rides.

Lunch

Before you go to lunch suggest that the rider put on some sunscreen. You should put some on too, even if it is cloudy.
Eat. Drink plenty of fluids.
Ask your rider if they want aspirin. If they do, this is an early sign of dehydration - the rider needs to be consuming more water.

Afternoon Session

There may be a meeting for riders who are less familiar with the track after lunch. If so, attend the meeting with or without your rider. If a map of the track is passed out, take one. The map will help you understand what the rider is talking about after the track day is over.
Your vigilance in the afternoon session will pay off for your rider in a big way. The rides in the afternoon session are more intense. Statistically, more crashes occur after lunch. It is crucial that you help your rider stay hydrated and keep their blood sugar up. Remember that your rider is expending a huge amount of mental and physical energy. A session is like running four 20-minutes races with a break in-between. Also, take care of yourself. Eat to keep your own energy up, walk around so you aren't sitting still for long periods of time (even if your book is really really good), drink water to stay hydrated, put sunscreen on yourself!

See Supporting Your Rider During the Rides.

Wrap-up Meeting

There may or may not be a wrap-up meeting. If it wasn't mentioned in the riders meeting, there probably isn't one.
If your rider is attending a school, there will likely be a wrap-up meeting because the track day sponsor wants to collect evaluations and/or distribute diplomas. If your rider wants to leave early, it is courteous to let the sponsor know, and offer to fill out the evaluation form before leaving.
Regular track days may have a wrap up, but you don't need to stay.

Pack Up the Pit

At some point your rider will decide they have had enough or the sponsor will announce that the track day is over. It's time to pack up and go. Here are a few tips:
  • Leave the canopy up as long as possible to provide shade on sunny days. If it is windy, you won't be able to do this because as soon as you release the canopy from its anchors (the ramps, the tool box, and cooler), the wind will try to carry the canopy away. In windy conditions, take the canopy down first.
  • Load the bike first. See Loading the Bike in the Truck/Van.
  • While your rider is out on their last ride, inventory the tools and the bike's supplies. Is everything back in its proper place?
  • If there are multiple riders in your pit and you aren't sure what belongs to whom, remind the riders to inventory their own tools before they leave; it is annoying to get home and discover that your tire pressure gauge went home with someone else.
That's a typical track day. It is a lot of work for the track buddy.

Preparation and Equipment

Preparing for a track day includes:
  • Verifying that the bike has the right amounts of its fluids, is set up appropriately for the track, and starts cleanly.
  • Assembling pit equipment and supplies for towing
  • Verifying the proper tools and bike supplies are in the tool chest
  • Assembling food and drink for the rider and track buddy in a cooler
  • Packing riding gear (if you want to ride 2-up, see Riders Meeting)
  • Packing street clothes and toiletries
  • Verifying you know where lunch is coming from for you and your rider. (see Riders Meeting)
  • Loading the bike. See Loading the Bike in the Truck/Van.
A note about rental trucks/vans and manual shift vehicles:
  • If your rider is renting a truck or van, make sure you are authorized to drive the vehicle. This usually means that you have to go to the rental location and sign papers. If your rider is unable to drive home, you will be driving the vehicle home.
  • If your rider drives a manual shift vehicle, you need to know how to drive it as well. You may be driving it home.
If your rider crashes and is taken to the hospital, do you know whom to notify (family, employer)? Do you know whether your rider wants extraordinary measures taken to extend their life?
If you are new to the track, your rider will probably take care of assembling pit equipment, towing, food and drink. You should check in with your rider about the rest.
If you decide you like being a track buddy, the more items on this list you can take responsibility for, the more your rider will bless you.
See Preparation.

At the Track

When you arrive at the track, you will sign in. The first paper you sign is the track owner's waiver - it basically says that you release them from any and all responsibility. You are also asked what your role is. I sign in as the "pit babe." "Track buddy" or "pit crew" works fine, too.
You set up your area, or "pit", in the "paddock." The paddock is essentially a parking lot. The lines show where to drive and where you can park. The paddock will become a tent city in a short amount of time.
Here are my criteria for selecting a location:
  • Near the bathrooms (porta-potties get pretty stinky as the heat increases)
  • Near the Start/Finish area (this is where the riders enter the track)
  • Near the meeting area
  • Near a place on the track where you can see the riders in sufficient detail to pick out your rider
Once you determine where you are going to set up in the paddock, the fun begins. See these topics:After the Track Day Is Over

Managing Your Tired and Cranky Rider

Your rider has just completed a very stimulating day. Most likely they have expended every ounce of energy they had. The day may have gone well, it may have gone badly, it may have been a roller coaster of accomplishments and disappointments. In any event, your rider is tired (and so are you) and there is still a lot of work to do. See:And, you have to drive home.
If your rider is cranky, don't take it personally. Hopefully you know your rider well enough to know whether to work but stay out of their way or work and be nearby.
If your rider is an introvert, now is not the time to ask for a recap; your rider will talk when they're ready, and that may not be for a while. Your silent, efficient work will be greatly appreciated.
If your rider is an extrovert, they will likely process all that stimuli by talking constantly, and, they may not make much sense. Just listen and participate in the verbal deluge as best you can.
In about an hour when you are sitting in some nice air-conditioned restaurant and your rider is drinking something nice and cold out of a real glass, and dinner has been ordered, you should start to hear coherent words out of your rider. If you picked up a track map, bring it to the table; it will help you understand what your rider is talking about. At this point, a beer is undoubtedly what you are thinking about. Think again, you have a long drive home. If you must have a beer, maybe you could split one with your rider. By the way, in my riding group, the rider treats the track buddy to dinner.
Keep an eye on your rider on the drive home. Usually they will be pumped up with beta-endorphins for several hours, but when those endorphins start to ebb, have some snacks handy.
If your drive home is long, think about having dinner about halfway home. Why? Because when you get home, there's still work to do. You will help your rider unload the truck/van. If, heaven forbid, the bike is going to the repair shop, you will unload everything but the bike. Don't rush the unloading - you're tired, your rider is tired, and that bike still weighs a lot. Use gloves that have palm protection.
Once the bike and the gear are unloaded you can have a beer.

Details

The descriptions above walked you through a typical track day. All the step-by-step details and tips are here.

Preparation

List of Pit and Bike Equipment

TrackJunkie.com has a great list of pit and bike equipment by Scott Storkel at http://www.trackjunkie.com/features/...1/0801_003.htm. This URL keeps changing. If the link is stale you can't find it on the site in the articles archive, send a request to the editor. His email is in the contacts. Scott's equipment list is probably more comprehensive than you need because he races. Review the list with your rider and make it work for you. [I will provide a pointer to my list.]

Food and Drink

I like to bring snacks that are simple, nutritious, and easily digested. While a bag of pre-washed baby carrots sounds silly, carrots sit better in your tummy than junk food snacks (choking back a tirade). Seriously, some fruit (bring a knife that has a sheath), some crackers, fruit leather, energy bars, trail mix, and decently flavored electrolyte replacement drinks (e.g., sports drinks) will keep your rider happy and healthy. I bring Gatorade powder to fortify the water. Don't forget paper towels. [I will provide a pointer to my list.]

How Much Water to Bring

Here's how I figure it:
  • The track buddy and rider should be consuming about 15-20 ounces of water an hour (less in the morning, more in the afternoon).
  • You're at the track from 7:30 a.m. to around 5 p.m.
  • It is better to have more water than you need.
My general rule is 8-10 bottles per person. In early spring and late autumn, 8 bottles. In July and August, 10 for sure. Your and your rider's needs may vary!
If you know you are going to be in hot weather, start hydrating a few days early, take potassium daily unless there is a reason why you shouldn't (e.g., kidney disease).
What's with the potassium? Potassium is a major mineral that the body uses in these ways:
  • Works with sodium to regulate fluid and electrolyte balance in body cells
  • Maintains normal blood pressure
  • Enables muscle contraction
  • Enables transmission of nerve impulses
Potassium is good stuff. There is no recommended dietary allowance for potassium, but the minimum amount suggested for adults is 2,000 mg a day. One medium-sized banana provides 450 mg, one medium-sized orange provides 250 mg.

Other Good Stuff

When you stick your fingers in the bike's innards, you'll find that although bikes may be sleek, fast, and sassy on the outside, they have sharp, jagged edges on the inside. When you set up the pit and help with the bike, especially the first time, you might cut yourself. Good enough first aid stuff to bring:
  • Antibacterial ointment, e.g., Neosporin
  • Clean cloths to clean your hands, preferably pre-moistened
  • Bandaids
  • Aspirin/Tylenol/your rider's preferred pain medication
What to Wear
  • Pants: Wear pants with pockets, and the pants need to be something that you can get grease, gas, oil, and dirt on. You will also find yourself sitting and kneeling on the tarmac in these pants. I also bring shorts with pockets for when it really heats up.
  • Shoes: Wear comfortable shoes that will protect your feet from the hot tarmac. Closed-toe shoes protect your toes during loading/unloading of pit gear.
  • If you are planning on riding 2-up, bring shoes that protect your ankles.
  • Head covering: Bring one.
  • Cool weather clothing: Even in the summer, the track environs can be cool in the mornings. Bring a long sleeved shirt and a sweatshirt. You may strip down to your T-shirt by 11am, but you could be quite cold before then in just a T-shirt.
  • Useful items: Sun glasses, work gloves, ear plugs
  • Rain gear: In early spring and late autumn bring warm clothes and bring rain gear.
Loading the Bike in the Truck/Van

The steps below describe how my riding group loads a bike. Your rider may have their own way. There is no one right way. The objective is a securely stabilized bike that is safe from gear that is also loaded in the truck/van. If you are using an open truck or trailer, you also want to be sure that nothing can fall out. If you see something that doesn't look right, speak up.
Let your rider take the lead here; they are responsible for their bike.
  1. Pushing a bike up a ramp is a pain. Pushing a bike across a level ramp is much easier. Position the vehicle so that the ramp is as level as possible. The path of the bike should be as straight as your driveway will allow.
  2. If you have gloves that protect your palms, such as gardening gloves, wear them. You can thank me for this tip later.
  3. It may be possible to load the bike with one ramp, but if you have two it will be much easier. In either case be sure you have two people. Having some extra muscle will help. Set up the first ramp along the line that the bike will travel, typically that line is right down the center of the truck/van. Set up the second ramp slightly to the left or right of the first ramp. You will walk up the ramp on the side while guiding the bike up the center ramp.
  4. Secure the ramps with the tie downs (webbed straps with "S" hooks at either end) to the vehicle's bumper. You may think this is overkill, but all it takes is one time for the ramp to slip.
  5. If you have a stationary stand (not one with wheels), place it in the center of the truck bed/van.
  6. If there is a wheel lock on the stand verify that it is in the unlocked position.
  7. If you are using a sport chock, verify the wheel guide is "down" and unlocked.
  8. Typically one person guides the bike up the ramp, another person "spots" the bike. You are likely to be the spotter. Your job is watch the bike go up the ramp and tell the person guiding the bike that the bike is "doing fine," or needs to "move to the right (or left)."
  9. The person guiding the bike runs the bike up the ramp straight into the chock/stand.
  10. Lock the chock's wheel guide.
  11. If you aren't using a chock/stand, put the kickstand down.
  12. Retrieve the tie-downs from the ramps. <LI class=Numbered>Place the handle bar harness on the handle bars. You can use a rope instead of a harness.
  13. Verify the harness or rope isn't interfering with wiring or cables. If you are using a rope, verify that the rope isn't rubbing against painted body work.
  14. Hook a tie-down on each end of the harness/rope, hook the other end of the tie down into the truck/van's stationary loops.
  15. Compress the front suspension of the bike. Here is one way to do this:
    * Sit on the bike.
    * Hold the adjustable end of each of the tie downs that are attached to the
    harness.
    * Lay your chest on the tank and pull the tie-downs until you feel the front suspension compress a bit, but do not try to lock it down tight.
    [There is some controversy as to whether compressing the front end is good or not.]
  16. Secure two more tie-downs to some part of the frame on the left and right rear of the bike, secure the other ends of these tie-downs to opposite walls of the truck/van.
  17. Test the bike to verify that it is secure. Will the bike stay upright and in place on a bumpy section of highway? If you have to swerve, will the bike be okay?
  18. Put all the rest of the stuff in the vehicle. I like to put soft stuff next to the bike, like my duffel bag, and the hard stuff, like the tool box, between the van wall and the duffel.
  19. Tie down anything that might shift around.
  20. Put those gloves in the vehicle where you can find them easily when you unload.
  21. Drive about a mile (not more than 20 miles) then stop to re-check the security of the tie-downs and the equipment. [Me? A safety freak? What makes you say that?]
Unloading the Bike

Follow your your rider's lead here. These numbered steps show the order I have found most useful.
  1. 1. Unload the ramp(s).
    2. Set up the ramp(s), one for the bike and one for your rider to walk down while guiding the bike (if you have the second ramp).
    3. Secure the ramps with the tie downs to the vehicle's bumper. Think securing them is silly?
    • If you are just starting the track day, why take the chance of ruining the track day before it even starts?
    • If you are at the end of the track day, you're tired. Why take the chance of ruining an incident-free track day by dumping the bike when you get home because the ramp slipped?
    4. Pay attention when you remove the tie-downs from the bike.
    Hopefully the bike is secured in a sport chock or stand so that when you remove the tie-downs and the handle-bar harness (or whatever your rider used to secure the front end of the bike) the bike will not fall over. If the bike is not in a chock/stand, someone (likely you) should hold the bike steady while someone else (likely your rider) removes the tie-downs from the bike.
    5. Spot the bike for the person guiding the bike down the ramp.
    6. Once the bike is on the ground, if the bike doesn't have kickstand, get the chock or rear-stand and help your rider stabilize the bike.
    7. Pull everything else out of the truck/van. If it is a rental, it needs to be cleaned (at least broom-swept) before you return it.
Setting Up the Pit

Some people can set up a canopy by themselves. If you are doing it for the first time, get someone to help you.
Many tracks are located in a place where the wind will kick up at some time during the day. Place a tie-down at each corner of the canopy. Some heavy things that you can secure the ends to are: the air compressor, the cooler, the tool chest, and the ramp(s). You may move these anchors around later, but at least if the wind kicks up unexpectedly the canopy won't go flying. While it is tempting to use the gas container, it will lose ballast as the day progresses. If the wind gets a hold of it and it doesn't have spill prevention cap, the gas could go flying into the pit next to you (and the rider's spouse could be a smoker).
If you came up in a truck, you can use the tailgate of the truck as table. I like to have the tool chest near the bike, preferably on the tailgate. Finally,
  • Set up the chairs (and tables if you have them)
  • Set out some bottles of water
  • Know where the sunscreen, potassium capsules, aspirin/ibuprofen, and bananas are
Preparing Your Rider's Bike
  • Your rider should review the bike's fluids, tire pressure, and other vitals. Any assistance you can provide is helpful. If you are mechanically inclined, help your rider perform a mini technical inspection.
  • If necessary, add gas. The last thing your rider wants is to have to walk the bike around the track because there wasn't enough gas in the tank. You may laugh, but it has happened. If you don't have a gas container, someone needs to ride the bike to the track's gas station. If you can ride, great, you can do it. Some track sponsors require you to wear a helmet when riding in the paddock area. Some don't. If you aren't sure, ask. If the bike doesn't have a kickstand, be prepared to lean the bike against the pump while you swipe the credit card.
  • You or your rider should fire up the bike just to make sure it starts. If you don't know how to do this, ask. Usually it is pretty simple, but some bikes may be quirky.
  • If the bike is configured for the track, the last thing to go on the bike is the body work. Of course, it may go on and have to come off a few times depending on what your rider thinks the bike needs.
  • Ask your rider if they have had their potassium. Try to get either a banana or a potassium capsule into them. If your rider is over 30 years old, also try to get them to take some aspirin or ibuprofen. Until the bike is ready, your rider may ignore you. As soon as the bike is ready, offer again.
Getting Your Rider Ready to Ride
  • If your rider hasn't already taken their potassium or eaten a banana, offer again. <LI class=Bulleted>Offer sunscreen - your rider should put some on the back of their neck, even if it is cloudy.
  • Clean the helmet visor. Most glass cleaners work great on Plexiglas visors. Use a soft cloth, not a paper towel that might scratch the visor.
  • You can help by getting the bike started and warmed up.
  • You can also help your rider put their gear on. Watching someone getting into riding gear is like watching someone put on a clown outfit. Don't be shocked if your rider's sole attempt at modesty is to face the truck before shucking their pants. You will see some of the most outrageous boxer shorts at the track. Enjoy the show.
  • Your rider will most likely need help pulling the jacket portion of the suit up over their shoulders. If the suit is a two-piece, they may also appreciate help aligning the jacket's zipper with the pant's zipper.
  • Get the truck keys from your rider. These keys are now your responsibility.
  • If the bike is on a rear-stand, help launch your rider and the bike by removing the rear-stand - after they have mounted the bike! When they come in from the sighting laps, you need to be there to help put the bike back on the rear-stand.
Supporting Your Rider During the Rides

You will do the same things before and after each ride. The afternoon session require a little more attention to both your rider and the bike.
All Riding Sessions

Before each Ride
  • About ten minutes before your rider's next ride, remind your rider that the next ride is going to start in about ten minutes. Some riders want to be ready to ride and waiting at Start/Finish as the last rider of the previous group gets off the track. Other riders like to wait for the "hot to trot" riders to get out first.
  • Help your rider get into their track suit.
  • If they are using a rear-stand, launch them.
During the Ride
Your rider may ask you to time their laps. Many watches have a timer. I don't wear a watch but my cell phone has a timer! Write down the lap times; minutes and seconds is usually sufficient.
After each Ride
  • If bike needs a rear-stand, be ready to help your rider put the bike on the stand.
  • Have a bottle or cup of fortified water ready.
    You can fortify your rider's water with Gatorade powder or some other electrolyte replacement. The fortified water will help keep your rider's energy up and forestall cramps.
  • Help your rider out of the jacket part of their leathers.
    Your rider is sweaty and the leathers are likely to be sticky. Pulling down on the leathers does not help. Better, stand behind your rider and hold the ends of the sleeves. Let them shimmy and shake out of the jacket.
  • Ask if your rider experienced any cramps.
    Typical locations for cramps are hands, arms, feet, or legs. If so, your rider needs to take some potassium or eat a banana now.
  • Check the fuel level.
  • Clean the helmet visor.
  • Chat with them about how the ride went.
    Ask about tires, suspension, lines, speed, anything that will get your rider talking. You can get a sense of your rider’s condition and state of mind. Ask which corners are fun or easy, which are troublesome and why. Later, if you are so inclined, find a helpful experienced rider and ask for tips about the troublesome parts of the track.
  • If your rider wants to change anything such as tire pressure or suspension settings, take notes. A good log will help sort out what changes were good and should remain versus those that were bad and should be reversed (or taken in the opposite direction).
You might notice that we've gotten a little more technical. Wanna get in deeper? You can do a mini technical inspection as well. Here's what to do:
  • Check the tires for wear patterns.
    Be alert to “funny” signs that may indicate “cold tear” or “shearing.” These tire conditions point to poor suspension settings, improper inflation, or poor warm-up procedures. You don't need to know what good tires look like; just asking, "Do the tires look okay?" will alert your rider to check the tires.
  • Look for fluid leaks from the engine (oil, coolant).
    If you see fluid leaking, do not let the bike back out on the track. It will endanger other riders.
  • Look for signs of fluid on the fork tubes (leaky fork seals).
  • Look for fraying of lines (brake, clutch, or fuel lines).
  • Look for proper chain slack (it might change from when it was tech-inspected).
  • Look for loose components (clip-ons, brake calipers, rear sets, pipes, anything that isn't the bike frame itself).
  • Check the throttle action; when you roll it, it should snap closed.
  • Check brake pad wear.
None of this is rocket science. If you watched the tech inspection in the morning, this is what they did. If you have a question now, look for an experienced rider, or, the track buddy of an experienced rider, and ask. People are usually happy to answer questions like, “Why do I need to be checking this? What is it, anyway?”
You don’t need to understand it all. Just be observant, take notes, and show your rider anything unusual.

Afternoon Session

Before each ride:
Do everything described in Before Each Ride.
After each ride:
Do everthing described in After Each Ride. In addition:
  • Offer fortified water (e.g., Gatorade)
  • If it is really hot, have a wet towel ready to put on their neck. Some riders will pour water on their heads. [Find out what your rider's heat tolerance is. If it is low, you must be especially vigilant about keeping them hydrated.]
  • Offer sunscreen for the back of their neck.
    Most sunscreens need to be reapplied every couple hours or so.
  • Offer a snack, sweet or salty. Your rider can benefit from both.
  • Look for signs of fatigue such as
    * Staring off into space
    * Not being able to keep track of where things are
    * Stumbling around the pit
    If you see signs of fatigue suggest that your rider eat something like a banana, drink more fortified water, rest, and in the next ride take it easy or come in from the ride early or even skip the next ride.
Some track sponsors allow anyone who still wants to get out there for the last ride of the day. This ride is guaranteed to have someone crash. Some riders realize how tired they are, know their limits, and opt out of the last ride.

What to Do If Your Rider Goes Down

There are two types of riders: those who have crashed and those who are going to crash. The corner workers know how to calm and care for an injured rider until the ambulance arrives. The track day sponsor will send experienced riders to the scene; they will take care of your rider and the bike. The track is the safest place for your rider to crash.
In the worst case, your rider may be put on a helicopter and flown to a hospital. A less serious injury may be handled by an ambulance trip to the local hospital. Your job will be to pack up the pit and meet your rider at the hospital later.
Sometimes they are fine, just some cuts, scrapes, bruises, maybe a sprain. In this case they will be brought back to the pit, either on the crash truck or they may walk back. Offer your rider their preferred pain killer and water immediately, then offer a snack. Expect your rider to be annoyed with themself and more concerned about the bike than about their own injuries. If the bike is not going out on the track again, clean the helmet's visor and put it in its bag. If your rider hasn't started changing suggest that street clothes might be more comfortable.
If your first aid kit doesn't have something needed for your rider, there is a first aid station at the track. If it is a minor item, your rider will appreciate your going to get it. If you think your rider needs to be examined, encourage them to come with you.
Any bike that has crashed has to go through technical inspection again. Depending on what happened the bike may or may not be in condition to ride again. If the bike does not pass tech (e.g., the bike is mangled), load the bike back into your vehicle. If the bike is really messed up, the people who brought the bike to you will expect to help you get the bike onto your vehicle. Once loaded, check the bike for leaking fluids. If there are leaks, use plastic bags to contain the leak. Secure the bags well so that they don't blow off when you hit highway speeds.
Your rider may want to hang around or they may just want to pack up and leave.
If your rider is an introvert, now is not the time to ask what happened, your rider will talk when they're ready, and that may not be for a while. Your silent, efficient work will be greatly appreciated.
If your rider is an extrovert, most likely you won't be able to stop them from telling you all about what they thinks happened, over and over again. Listening is the best thing you can do.
Keep an eye on your rider; they have sustained a shock. They may experience fatigue. If your rider won't sit down and rest for a while, about all you can do is keep water and a snack handy.

Last edited by LaoTzu; March 2, 2006 at 12:55 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Super Moderator

March 2, 2006, 01:46 PM

This is actually pretty good info. I'm going to pass it along to a couple of my friends who come to track days with me.

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#3)
tang ama ka !!!!!!!

March 2, 2006, 04:05 PM

wow.. my eyes...good read tho....

Anthony
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to totnac  
Unread
  (#4)
Owner of the Site Owner

March 2, 2006, 05:48 PM

this is awseome for me for someone who is having their first track day next sunday :thumbup:

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
I'm a Realtor in VA

March 2, 2006, 07:26 PM

I will buy beer for a friend that does all that for me. If it's a hot chick I'll buy her a house!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to highsider Send a message via AIM to highsider  
Unread
  (#6)
Has an idiot exemption

March 2, 2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsider
I will buy beer for a friend that does all that for me. If it's a hot chick I'll buy her a house!!
True dat! I'm with Ben.
Well...not the house part.
But for sure dinner and drinks.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
1E-9

March 15, 2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsider
What if she already has a house?

Sarah -Red-
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to tsairyn  
Unread
  (#8)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
March 16, 2006, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsairyn
What if she already has a house?
Take her to it and bang her on the couch.

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD  
Unread
  (#9)
1E-9

March 16, 2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpD1!
Take her to it and bang her on the couch.
Before or after you have her unload the trailer and clean the bikes?

Sarah -Red-
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to tsairyn  
Unread
  (#10)
I'm a Realtor in VA

April 30, 2006, 08:59 PM

Red, so you do and congrats.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to highsider Send a message via AIM to highsider