DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 546
3 members and 543 guests
GRN96WS6, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
HOWTO: "Better" way to upright a downed Motorcycle
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Lightbulb HOWTO: "Better" way to upright a downed Motorcycle - January 2, 2009, 12:50 PM

I approve this message!!! Don't ask how I know...
I didn't see this technique noted in searched threads, so if it bores anyone, my bad... But, I think it's worth sharing as I'm willing to bet many don't know it~

10 Steps for Picking Up a Fallen Motorcycle
These steps are for a bike that has fallen on its left side.

1. Hit the kill switch. Make sure the motor is off.

2. Turn the gas off using the petcock on a carbureted bike if fuel is leaking.

3. Make sure the bike is in gear if you can get to it. If it is not in gear and you can't access the shifter to put it in gear, the technique becomes more difficult because the bike could roll, but it can still be done. You'll have to have find the balance point of the motorcycle between the two tires and leverage it as you lift.
4. Standing with your butt toward the seat, stoop down, and with your right hand grab the left grip.

5. When you grab the grip, pull it until it is as close to the tank as possible. With your left hand find something sturdy to grab hold of under the seat. Don't grab the seat. It's too flimsy to support the weight of your lift. Grabbing the bike by the frame is the best bet. The closer your left hand is to your body, the better.
6. Place your butt midway on the edge of the seat. This is crucial. The placement of your butt too high or too low on the seat will not give you the leverage angle. You are pushing the bike with your butt and upper legs. You will have to pull up with your arms a bit, but mostly you will be pushing the bike up with your legs.

7. You must have good traction under your feet or they will slip. If there is gravel under your feet, sweep it away with your boots. Same for grass.
8. Start pushing your butt against the seat using baby steps to force it upright. The hardest part will be the beginning. Once the bike starts to lift off the ground, you'll gain momentum to help you execute the rest of the lift.

9. Once you have the bike up, carefully put the kickstand down and lower the bike to it. If you can't get the kickstand with the heel of your boot, turn your body carefully toward the front of the bike and grab both grips, then put the bike on the kickstand or center stand.

10. The process is the same if the bike is on its right side. Your hands are reversed of course. It is easier to get it into gear. Remember to put the kickstand out first so that you can ease the bike onto it once it is upright.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
and go

January 2, 2009, 12:52 PM

yea i still can't pick mine up by myself.
Unread
  (#3)
The last urrbendah

January 2, 2009, 01:04 PM

Cue posts regarding my experience picking up downed bikes....

I've always picked up from the right side.

-Right hand on the bar, left under the tank crease. This allows you to grab brake if she starts rolling.
-Turn bar/clip on to the lock
-Squat down and use good deadlift form so you're lifting with your legs.
-Pick bike up and transfer lift to a push once your legs are fully extended.
-Get on bike, ride back to pits, spend 2 hours looking for parts and patching up the bike and leathers.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#4)
Super Moderator

January 2, 2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Cue posts regarding my experience picking up downed bikes....

I've always picked up from the right side.

-Right hand on the bar, left under the tank crease. This allows you to grab brake if she starts rolling.
-Turn bar/clip on to the lock
-Squat down and use good deadlift form so you're lifting with your legs.
-Pick bike up and transfer lift to a push once your legs are fully extended.
-Get on bike, ride back to pits, spend 2 hours looking for parts and patching up the bike and leathers.

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#5)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

January 2, 2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithabike View Post
yea i still can't pick mine up by myself.
Somewhere online there's a video of a petite woman lifting a huge touring monster with this technique while wearing a skirt. If she can do it I think anyone can do it.

I've never had to upright my bike alone. I've always had help.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#6)
BE ENCOURAGED!

January 2, 2009, 01:22 PM

I am going to use this opportunity to invite anybody interested in learning how to pick up bikes with hands on practice, to join MARRC as a saftey Crew member. Come work the corners some this season at Summit Point Raceway. You will get the best FREE training in the nation and all the hands on experience picking up bikes your heart desires. You may be surprised at all you learn, and gain tips that will help make you a better overall rider.

We are taking applications now. So PM me if you are interested or to find out more visit our website at www.marrc.org

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?

Last edited by GUZZ; January 2, 2009 at 01:24 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#7)
and go

January 2, 2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Somewhere online there's a video of a petite woman lifting a huge touring monster with this technique while wearing a skirt. If she can do it I think anyone can do it.

I've never had to upright my bike alone. I've always had help.
i'm sure i can if i try hard enough. both times it's been down, i've been too pissed off to actually concentrate on it enough. and i don't think i want to practice by laying it down. if i put it in my condo i may put plastic down and practice it on the carpet.
Unread
  (#8)
I just peed a little

January 2, 2009, 01:33 PM

When I decided I wanted to learn to ride, my friend tipped his bike over and told me I wasn't allowed to ride until I could pick it up on my own...I learned Then dropped his bike again
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Monkey Send a message via AIM to Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Monkey 
Unread
  (#9)
and go

January 2, 2009, 01:40 PM

good ideas! sign me up!
Unread
  (#10)
TPG - screw face

January 2, 2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithabike View Post
good ideas! sign me up!
there is a post on here about an article concerning the MAARC corner workers...lol read it before you say "sign me up"

i thought all they did was wave flags after someone went down...yea..WRONG...it's amazing how on point, precise, and flawless their motions and communication have to be...
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

January 2, 2009, 04:33 PM

just don't lay the bike down, they you won't have too

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#12)
USSA

January 2, 2009, 05:23 PM

I like picking my bike up. Makes me feel more like a man. The last go round i used the cross arm handle bar lift. Uses the front tyre to help leverage.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArrrSV  
Unread
  (#13)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

January 2, 2009, 06:06 PM

Sorry,but I think this is wrong and I was reassured after I saw it live at the International Bike Show at the convention center last year.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#14)
Brainwash Your Face!

January 3, 2009, 08:32 PM

Excellent thread...

Moved it to "How to" section

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#15)
TPG og

January 15, 2009, 10:01 AM

My method - left hand to left grip, facing bike, not away, right hand on lowest part of frame right before swingarm. Squat down and push up with legs. Squat thrusts help, hit the gym it gets easier each time...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st