DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 458
3 members and 455 guests
GRN96WS6, MPSniper, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
I'm Addicted To Stalling...
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Angry I'm Addicted To Stalling... - October 10, 2010, 10:06 AM

I tried searching for a thread that had the same topic but I guess I'm the ONLY ONE with this problem . If there is a thread like this please correct me and I'll move/delete this one.

Sup dot net! I'm not really new here..I had an account but I forgot my login..haven't been on here in a while . I'm new to bikes though.

When I made my previous account earlier this year I was waiting to take the MSF and now..long story short..I didn't do so well. I FAILED . I was beating myself over about it and eventually went into denial and was like i got a car i don't need a bike. But I stay seein riders everywhere and I feel that spark coming on again. SO..I need one or two tips that I can take with me THIS TIME when I go for the MSF again.

When I was taking the MSF my BIGGEST motherf*ckin problem was stalling the damn thing. I could never find that sweet spot to shift perfectly and keep on going. Everytime I would pull the clutch, shift, throttle (while letting go of the clutch slowly) the bike would lurch and turn off. Frustrated me so bad.

I'm a little short so maneuvering (sp?) was a little tricky. And we were on buell blasts..if that helps at all. Buell blasts are legit though. Nice, nimble little bikes..

So if any experienced/seasoned riders can give me some insight..that'd be of HUGE benefit. The tight corners and weaving..I think I've gotten down..it's just that GODDAMN STALLING ISSUE!

Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

October 10, 2010, 10:09 AM

Give her more gas.
Unread
  (#3)
Do you need an eDUCATIon?

October 10, 2010, 10:16 AM

Did you ever feel the "friction zone"? If not, say you need some extra time on that drill.

http://www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
1999 Ducati Monster 900s
2003 Suzuki SV650

Nubbs: You can play with my underwear, but don't f*** with my beer.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)

October 10, 2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatista View Post
Did you ever feel the "friction zone"? If not, say you need some extra time on that drill.
Lol I didn't really pay attention to the friction zone. To be honest I was paying more attention the cones.. And yes I definitely need to clock in more hours on it. Where do you usually feel it? People have told me it's around when you first pull in the clutch. But my instructors were saying to pull it in all the way...idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zice View Post
Give her more gas.
Oh yea giving it gas helped a TON! But that was only when I didn't have any cones or obstacles in front of me..I wasn't afraid to go fast then. But when you only have like 40 or so feet to accel, upshift, accel, and then downshift and then skid break..I stalled almost everytime. I didn't wanna give it anymore gas than it already had cuz I was approaching the skid pad pretty fast..

How would you shift in a tight spot?

Last edited by GUNSofREDEMPTION; October 10, 2010 at 10:35 AM..
Unread
  (#5)
GDMFSOB

October 10, 2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNSofREDEMPTION View Post
I didn't wanna give it anymore gas than it already had cuz I was approaching the skid pad pretty fast..

How would you shift in a tight spot?
You sure you were going fast enough? 2nd gear, and maybe 3rd on those things shouldn't stall at 25mph.
For slow tight (figure 8's) turns just rev and don't let the clutch all the way out. You should drag the rear brake a little as well. The motor rotation will act like a gyroscope to help keep the bike upright. Using the rear brake, which has less power than the front, will keep your speed down. Don't use the fronts.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#6)

October 10, 2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
You sure you were going fast enough? 2nd gear, and maybe 3rd on those things shouldn't stall at 25mph.
For slow tight (figure 8's) turns just rev and don't let the clutch all the way out. You should drag the rear brake a little as well. The motor rotation will act like a gyroscope to help keep the bike upright. Using the rear brake, which has less power than the front, will keep your speed down. Don't use the fronts.
Hmm..not really sure how fast I was going.. I think most of time was the bike stalling and me trying to turn it back on while it was just coasting heh. I think that was why it felt like i was fast approaching the pad with little accomploshed. There were times when I did it perfectly..mostly thanks to the bike already in motion instead of coming off a stop (personal pref?). It always happens when I'm shifting up to 2nd.

THE REAR BRAKE! DAMN..I kept using the fronts (instinct). The instructors tend to emphasize the fronts a little too much.. Thanks though! I'll practice a little more this afternoon.

Last edited by GUNSofREDEMPTION; October 10, 2010 at 02:02 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

October 10, 2010, 11:09 AM

sounds like your shifting when you don't need too. if it stalls when you go into a higher gear then you need to be going faster for that gear.

more gas, less shifting.

-Matt
CCS Ametuer #981

Last edited by Matt98; October 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM..
Unread
  (#8)

October 10, 2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt98 View Post
if it stalls when you go into a higher gear then you need to be going faster for that gear.

more gas, less shifting.
Alright. Thanks that was pretty straightforward (+1); I'll research the ranges for each gear..hopefully I get it right today. damn..i LOVE .net

Unread
  (#9)
Ballaugh Bridge

October 10, 2010, 11:53 AM

Go learn how to drive a manual transmission car first. Then it will be really easy.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#10)

October 10, 2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMotorcycleGuy View Post
Go learn how to drive a manual transmission car first. Then it will be really easy.
I know how to drive manual. It's probably cuz I'm not familiar with clutch and throttle with my hands yet.. But you're right if i've never driven a manual before i can see how much harder it'd be for me lol thanks.
Unread
  (#11)
Silence... I keeeel you

October 10, 2010, 01:47 PM

Are you stalling with starting from a stop? Or when shifting to a higher gear?

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#12)

October 10, 2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
Are you stalling with starting from a stop? Or when shifting to a higher gear?
Starting from a stop..100%.

I never stalled once when shifting to a higher gear (or downshifiting to a lower) once the bike was in motion.
Unread
  (#13)
I got nuthin

October 10, 2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
damn..i LOVE .net

You havnt been on .net long enough. Just wait.

good luck!

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2002 Ducati Monster Dark 600
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2011 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2001 Suzuki SV 650
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Taty  
Unread
  (#14)
Licensed Rider

October 10, 2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Starting from a stop..100%.

I never stalled once when shifting to a higher gear (or downshifiting to a lower) once the bike was in motion.
If your stalling when starting out then you need to learn how to modulate the clutch lever more. You can actually get a bike rolling without feeding any gas if you have good clutch control and know how to slip it out slowly.

It's all in the clutch. Slip it slowly while feeding throttle, if you feel it start to stall or take off too quickly then pull it in just enough but not all the way.

I thought you were having trouble when shifting too a higher gear, so nevermind my first post.

-Matt
CCS Ametuer #981
Unread
  (#15)

October 10, 2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatyfool View Post
You havnt been on .net long enough. Just wait.

good luck!
Hahaha very creative. When I was using my previous account I remember reading alot of hot debates on these forums. Most of them were about "beginner" bikes and such. This forum is legit though. Everyone is nice, respectful, and very helpful.

Tags
beginner, msf, newbie, noobie, stalling