DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 536
4 members and 532 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, onel0wcubn
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Make any glove work w/touchscreen! (even ipod)
Unread
  (#1)
TPG og

Make any glove work w/touchscreen! (even ipod) - November 25, 2009, 10:37 AM

http://www.instructables.com/id/Maki...-Touch-Screen/

step 1What You Need

Most modern touch screens use "capacitive touchscreen" which you can read about at length here, but in short it means that for a glove to work with a touch screen it needs to complete a circuit with your finger. So that's what we're going to do by putting some conductive thread between the screen and our finger.

Skills
You need to be able to sew a few stitches without killing yourself.

Supplies

You will need:
  • A glove.
  • A needle.
  • 12" (30cm) of conductive thread.
What's conductive thread? This great article over at Fashioning Technology will tell you everything you need to know and where to get some. And when you get some, you'll find there are tons of interesting things you can do with it.
step 2Sew

#1 Thread your needle
You don't need a whole lot of thread, just a foot or so.

#2: Sew a few stitches in the finger of your glove.
On the outside try to make the stitches pretty close so it only touches the screen in a smallish area (about 1/4" or 6mm in diameter.) This will help your finger touches be more accurate.

Tip: Don't make it too small! The iPhone, for example, will ignore small touch areas. If it doesn't seem to work very well, try increasing the size of the stitches on the outside.

On the inside of the finger, it's actually good for it to be messy (See #3).

3-5 stitches should be enough.

#3: Leave some extra inside the glove.
You want to make sure the thread touches your finger or your hand on the inside, so leave some extra. Leave danging thread on your knots, etc. You might even tack a bit to the lining of the glove

#4: Repeat on other fingers (optional)
If you use other fingers or thumbs to use your screen repeat the step on them too.

That's it!

Last edited by b00st; November 25, 2009 at 11:02 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 25, 2009, 10:42 AM

Weird I get my Garmin to work with gloves on. good idea though.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG - screw face

November 25, 2009, 10:42 AM

Unread
  (#4)
TPG Bannings: III

November 25, 2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Weird I get my Garmin to work with gloves on. good idea though.
Your garmin uses a resistive touchscreen, not a capacitative touchscreen, but thanks for playing.
Unread
  (#5)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 25, 2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEaton View Post
Your garmin uses a resistive touchscreen, not a capacitative touchscreen, but thanks for playing.
Not my fault I buy stuff to use while riding! Its called research!

www.RnRcycles.com

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

November 25, 2009, 10:54 AM

if you are going to steal someone elses work, you should wait a bit after it is not all over the geek sites.

http://lifehacker.com/5412625/make-a...-a-touchscreen

*edit*

haha, your pic is linked from instructables...

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury

Last edited by spud; November 25, 2009 at 10:57 AM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#7)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 25, 2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
if you are going to steal someone elses work, you should wait a bit after it is not all over the geek sites.

http://lifehacker.com/5412625/make-a...-a-touchscreen

How is it stealing if it is out there for public knowledge?

www.RnRcycles.com

Unread
  (#8)
Site ADMIN

November 25, 2009, 10:57 AM

I am not a fan of folks posting stuff as if it was their idea.. rather he be more clear on where he got his instructions from.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

November 25, 2009, 10:58 AM

quoted before edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
step 1What You Need

Most modern touch screens use "capacitive touchscreen" which you can read about at length here, but in short it means that for a glove to work with a touch screen it needs to complete a circuit with your finger. So that's what we're going to do by putting some conductive thread between the screen and our finger.

Skills
You need to be able to sew a few stitches without killing yourself.

Supplies

You will need:
  • A glove.
  • A needle.
  • 12" (30cm) of conductive thread.
What's conductive thread? This great article over at Fashioning Technology will tell you everything you need to know and where to get some. And when you get some, you'll find there are tons of interesting things you can do with it.

step 2Sew

#1 Thread your needle
You don't need a whole lot of thread, just a foot or so.

#2: Sew a few stitches in the finger of your glove.
On the outside try to make the stitches pretty close so it only touches the screen in a smallish area (about 1/4" or 6mm in diameter.) This will help your finger touches be more accurate.

Tip: Don't make it too small! The iPhone, for example, will ignore small touch areas. If it doesn't seem to work very well, try increasing the size of the stitches on the outside.

On the inside of the finger, it's actually good for it to be messy (See #3).

3-5 stitches should be enough.

#3: Leave some extra inside the glove.
You want to make sure the thread touches your finger or your hand on the inside, so leave some extra. Leave danging thread on your knots, etc. You might even tack a bit to the lining of the glove

#4: Repeat on other fingers (optional)
If you use other fingers or thumbs to use your screen repeat the step on them too.

That's it!

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#10)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 25, 2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I am not a fan of folks posting stuff as if it was their idea.. rather he be more clear on where he got his instructions from.
I am pretty sure everyone here knows that in no way Booby came up with that! DUH!

www.RnRcycles.com

Unread
  (#11)
Site ADMIN

November 25, 2009, 11:02 AM

not everyone, cause i dont know bobby.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#12)
Mojito Anyone?

November 25, 2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
I am pretty sure everyone here knows that in no way Booby came up with that! DUH!

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#13)
TPG og

November 25, 2009, 11:04 AM

"Most modern touch screens use "capacitive touchscreen" which you can read about at length here, but in short it means that for a glove to work with a touch screen it needs to complete a circuit with your finger. So that's what we're going to do by putting some conductive thread between the screen and our finger."

cuz I speak and type so eloquently Mr. Spud! Jk.

Yeah, I had the link at the top but had to edit a few times cuz the format jank got all mixed in there and looked like poop. Must've gotten deleted in the mix. I don't even know how to sow! Hope I don't get an F in class for plagarism

gracias Mike!

Last edited by b00st; November 25, 2009 at 11:06 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#14)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 25, 2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
not everyone, cause i dont know bobby.
Not my fault you don't ride anymore. Maybe you should get a pass to get out and meet some of the new .net people!

www.RnRcycles.com

Unread
  (#15)
ZX6R

November 25, 2009, 11:06 AM

my gloves didnt work before but lately its been working. idk how

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime.

2014 ZX14R
2006 ZX636

www.MohawkRyderz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ShroomDuck Send a message via MSN to ShroomDuck