DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 463
4 members and 459 guests
2blueyam, MPSniper, Sal_the_man, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
PJ1 all over
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

PJ1 all over - May 7, 2007, 02:35 PM

Over the weekend I lubed my chain with PJ1. Now It is all over the exhaust, and rear wheel. Any tips of how to get it off because when i washed the bike it seems to smear.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Retired to most ...

May 7, 2007, 02:37 PM

WD-40

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#3)
Largely Unsupervised....

May 7, 2007, 02:50 PM

WD-40 does wonders to remove adhesives and any type of petroleum-based product. I've also used it to remove stubborn brake dust/stains on painted wheels (but DO NOT get it on your rotors.) ....rinse or wet-wipe the surface afterwards though.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#4)
Nothing here

May 7, 2007, 03:02 PM

Don't get it on the tire either!!!

Bleach White works just as well. Same warnings apply.
Unread
  (#5)
Eddie would go ...

May 7, 2007, 03:33 PM

Simple Green if you want to play it safe

this is why you use chain wax

your PJ1 only scored a 2/5

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...chain-lube.htm

apparent good stuff:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.

Last edited by Dutch; May 7, 2007 at 03:37 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Ling Long

May 7, 2007, 03:36 PM

Use Dupont Teflon Multi-Purpose Lubrication on your chain according to MCN. I've been having a problem with this silicate white shitty lube I've been using. Going to try this dupont stuff out and let you know how it goes.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#7)
Ling Long

May 7, 2007, 03:39 PM

Here's the article from another source.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#8)
I hate Hybrid drivers

May 7, 2007, 05:05 PM

PJ1 is fine to use. i use it and it's great. But you need to apply it properly. You are basically just lubing the rubber O rings on your chain so the manufactures recommend spraying it on and wiping it off right after. Spray and wipe. Also apply it while the chain is cold and wait at least 15 minutes before riding. A little comes off sometimes, but that just means you ride fast
I used to use the wax stuff but it turned my chain white.
Now i use PJ1 Black. Once you go black, you never go back.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

May 7, 2007, 05:32 PM

will look this stuff up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

May 7, 2007, 10:00 PM

Just picked up a can at Ace for 6.81. Got my 600 service so I wont use it till i need to lube my chain up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#11)
singin sweet home alabama

May 7, 2007, 10:32 PM

Just in time, I need a new can of chain lube.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#12)
Ling Long

May 8, 2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636
PJ1 is fine to use. i use it and it's great. But you need to apply it properly. You are basically just lubing the rubber O rings on your chain so the manufactures recommend spraying it on and wiping it off right after. Spray and wipe. Also apply it while the chain is cold and wait at least 15 minutes before riding. A little comes off sometimes, but that just means you ride fast
I used to use the wax stuff but it turned my chain white.
Now i use PJ1 Black. Once you go black, you never go back.
Except that you want the chain to be warm when you lube it so that the lubrication gets down into the O-Rings.
The lubrication has silicate and petroleum based product in it as well... meaning it helps prevent RUST. This is one reason you shouldn't wipe it off, among many others.

Here's how PJ1 says you should lube your chain:
  1. Your chain doesn't need much cleaning if you just ride on normal streets. WD-40 and a rag is about all you need and even then not very often.
  2. If you use gear oil, oil the warm chain after your last ride of the day using a brush (not an oil can). Put something under the chain to catch the drips and wipe off excess with a rag. Let sit overnight.
  3. If you use WD-40, spray on warm chain any time. Give it a couple of minutes to drip off or wipe off excess with rag. Ride anytime. Fly-off is moderate.
  4. If you use spray-on lubes, be sure to spray onto a warm chain. Do not over saturate. Spray it on the inside of the chain. That way on your next ride it will be slung outwards, through the chain.
  5. For O-ring chains, lube the chain hot. Spray PJ1 Blue Label chain lube directly at the center of the rollers at the rear of the rear sprocket. Move the rear wheel slowly and continue to apply. Let it dry.
  6. Clean-up: Oil and WD-40 are the easiest to clean up but also can create the biggest fly-off mess. PJ lubes or Chain Wax leaves the least amount of fly-off, but can build up on the chain itself.
  7. Chain lubing is another of many reasons why you shouldn't buy a bike without a centerstand.
Quick Tip: Warm the chain, lube every 500 miles, don't get any on the tires, ride bike right after to work it in.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#13)
Ling Long

May 8, 2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
Here's the article from another source.

I bought some of this last night. Cleaned and lubed my chain and rode in to work with it. So far so good. Runs smooth. I'll give you more feedback in a few hundred miles.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#14)
Nubbs ban yourself!

May 11, 2007, 12:18 PM

Rear Stand
WD 40 and an old tooth brush to clean the chain of any dirt the lube picked up.
Then I wash the bike to get the junk off the wheel and surrounding areas.
Then no matter what chain lube I use I no longer spray it on the chain because it gets all over everything. I spray it on a rag and spin the wheel to get it all over the chain. After a quick ride around the neighborhood or something I wipe any that slung off with a rag and simple green...

Simple Green is the best I have found for cleaning any chain lube off of bike if it needs to be done...

Lubing chain every weekend for me has resulted in almost never having to adjust/buy a chain...
Unread
  (#15)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

May 27, 2007, 06:35 PM

Man...this thread was right on time.Hit my chain with Motul chain oil.Went to wash my wheel this afternoon and stuff was all over my wheel and tire and wasn't budging.Simple Green took care of it.Great stuff....even took the numbers off my inspection sticker lol

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven