DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 496
4 members and 492 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929, car54, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Purchasing air compressor
Unread
  (#1)
Fast Lane Racing

Purchasing air compressor - July 1, 2015, 04:23 PM

I'm looking to purchase a new air compressor and am a bit confused as to what to purchase. I currently have a small electric Husky that I use at the track for tires etc. I don't think it has the muscle to do what I want to do.

I want to do things like loosen that front sprocket nut on my ZX6 and use for removing lugs on my vehicles. If possible, I would also like to use a spray attachment to stain / paint my fence and barn.

I have a shed type room attached to my garage so I could put the compressor in there. Noise wouldn't be an issue. I have a bunch of copper pipe I could use to eventually plumb throughout the garage.

I've read a few things online, but still not certain what I need.

What do you all recommend?
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Real Men Pedal

July 1, 2015, 05:18 PM

If you can afford it and have the power, go 2 stage and a large tank.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

July 1, 2015, 09:23 PM

So I've been down the route you are going. I have a nice one from sears. It's about a 30 gallon setup. I have the heavy duty hose and everything. I bought mine with the same ideas in mind. Here's what I found:

1. Go to harbor freight, buy the electric impact driver/gun. Like $40. I've had mine for 19 years with flawless performance. It was the same as the sears one, only a different company name on it.

2. Are you really going to drag the compressor around the yard to pain the fence? Did it once, never fucking again. Never. Even with the 50ft of hose, and 150feet of heavy duty power cord it was a pain in the ass. Better way? But the $20 weed sprayer you pump up by hand, spray liberal covering, have somebody with roller come behind you. Took 2 hours to do what I did in a 10 hour day with the compressor.

3. I have the heavy duty hose, but Home Depot sells some really light thinner hose for pretty cheap. Decent for home use. I still have the heavy hose if I need to run out 100 feet. Which isn't often.

I could have gone with a small pancake one and been just as happy. Too late now. It's in my workroom taking up an entire corner. On the upside, the wife bought it for me as part of my engagement present when we were getting married.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#4)
Playing in the dirt

July 1, 2015, 10:31 PM

60-80 gallon tank, 2 stage 165-175 psi, 15ish cfm @90-100 psi.

Truthfully though, a Milwaukee 3/8 cordless impact will take the lug nuts off a truck and its more convenient to use more often than an air impact.

Airless sprayer for the barn and fence, and not the hand held "wagners'

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#5)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 2, 2015, 03:08 AM

Yea be a real powerful cordless impact in 1/2 drive for sprockets. Or get corded but make sure 1/2 drive. Plus a real good air impact costs more than you will spend on the compressor.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#6)
Playing in the dirt

July 2, 2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Yea be a real powerful cordless impact in 1/2 drive for sprockets. Or get corded but make sure 1/2 drive. Plus a real good air impact costs more than you will spend on the compressor.
big numbers on the 1/2" drive.

100 & 700ftlb fastening modes, reverse is 1100 ftlbs
18-volt half inch fuel High Torque Impact Wrench w/ Friction Ring Kit | Milwaukee Tool

The small 1/2 and 3/8 impacts are 200/210ftlb

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#7)
GDMFSOB

July 2, 2015, 08:31 AM

I'd have to 2nd what Mud said. Even if you are looking to use paint on your barn, then you can pick up an electric paint sprayer for cheap. Then you can just toss it instead of cleaning EVERYTHING if you used a compressor.
I have a corded Milwakee impact. Half inch. I use for exactly what you want it for. My 5 gallon air compressor does the rest.
If you really want to use an air compressor, or just have one dedicated to shop use then at least 30 gallon and the highest SCFM @ 90psi you can get for air tool use.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#8)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

July 2, 2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS762ZX6 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a new air compressor and am a bit confused as to what to purchase. I currently have a small electric Husky that I use at the track for tires etc. I don't think it has the muscle to do what I want to do.

I want to do things like loosen that front sprocket nut on my ZX6 and use for removing lugs on my vehicles. If possible, I would also like to use a spray attachment to stain / paint my fence and barn.

I have a shed type room attached to my garage so I could put the compressor in there. Noise wouldn't be an issue. I have a bunch of copper pipe I could use to eventually plumb throughout the garage.

I've read a few things online, but still not certain what I need.

What do you all recommend?
I think you can use this sil-air 200-100 compressor. I use it before its an awesome compressor you can try that-

Technical Specifications:
* HP.(Horse Power) 4 X 1/2
* Output: 8.6 CFM(Cubic Feet per Minute)
* Max Pressure: 114 PSI ( Pounds per Square inch )
* Operating Pressure: 84-114 PSI ( Pounds per Square inch )
* Noise Level: 44 Decibels
* Tank Size: 26 Gallons
* Dimensions: 33.8" x 15.7 "x 29.5"
* Weight: 160 lbs.

Unread
  (#9)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 2, 2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
big numbers on the 1/2" drive. 100 & 700ftlb fastening modes, reverse is 1100 ftlbs 18-volt half inch fuel High Torque Impact Wrench w/ Friction Ring Kit | Milwaukee Tool The small 1/2 and 3/8 impacts are 200/210ftlb
Ever try to remove a counter shaft sprocket on a inline four. Sometimes I gotta break out the air impact which will break a cordless impact in half. Very tough nuts.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#10)
Fast Lane Racing

July 2, 2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Ever try to remove a counter shaft sprocket on a inline four. Sometimes I gotta break out the air impact which will break a cordless impact in half. Very tough nuts.
This is what I'm looking for. What compressor would I need to be able to do that?

Last edited by CCS762ZX6; July 2, 2015 at 11:36 PM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

July 3, 2015, 09:19 AM

Impact wrenches don't actually require a lot of air. They work in short bursts.

I usually "buy once, cry once" but sometimes you don't need to cry. The HF Earthquake impact is a very good value: 1/2 in. Professional Air Impact Wrench Just don't pay more than $80 for it.

The Milwaukee cordless impacts are also very good, but the cost of entry is pretty high.