DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 189
5 members and 184 guests
2blueyam, CCS762ZX6, GRN96WS6, RRonin, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Wax and stomp grips?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Wax and stomp grips? - June 2, 2008, 10:08 AM

I got in on a group buy for stomp grips. They showed up, I got all geeked up and ran out to clean my bike. I was at it, so I waxed it. I double waxed the stomp grip area. Then I went in and opened the package up. I actually read the directions and it sounds like the wax is a bad idea. Should I strip the wax off? Do we have a good write up for installation so I don't get any ugly bubbles and they actually stay attached?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Tough guy

June 2, 2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter
I got in on a group buy for stomp grips. They showed up, I got all geeked up and ran out to clean my bike. I was at it, so I waxed it. I double waxed the stomp grip area. Then I went in and opened the package up. I actually read the directions and it sounds like the wax is a bad idea. Should I strip the wax off? Do we have a good write up for installation so I don't get any ugly bubbles and they actually stay attached?
I have never done Stomp Grips but, Techspec recommends cleaning the area - then wipe with an rubbing alcohol - let dry and apply.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#3)
Like a clown car on fire

June 2, 2008, 10:35 AM

Yeah, I'd take the wax off that area... Just wash that area with dawn or joy.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#4)
It's a Triumph thing...

June 2, 2008, 10:36 AM

I cleaned all of the wax off before I put mine on, and have had no problems with them coming off.
Unread
  (#5)
Ling Long

June 2, 2008, 11:13 AM

Just rub the area down with rubbing alcohol to remove any residue. Put windex on the back of the stomp grip so you can move it around how you want without it instantly sticking. Push the bubbles out and then heat the stomp pad with a heat gun or blow dryer to get the glue to stick through the windex. Voila! Done.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 2, 2008, 12:40 PM

The windex being under there doesn't matter? It doesn't come back to bite you on the ass a month later?
Unread
  (#7)
Asstastic

June 2, 2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
Just rub the area down with rubbing alcohol to remove any residue. Put windex on the back of the stomp grip so you can move it around how you want without it instantly sticking. Push the bubbles out and then heat the stomp pad with a heat gun or blow dryer to get the glue to stick through the windex. Voila! Done.

Dat boy gud!!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
Unread
  (#8)
Ling Long

June 2, 2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter
The windex being under there doesn't matter? It doesn't come back to bite you on the ass a month later?
No, Though you can use plain water if you're worried about it. You'll just have less time to work the bubbles out with water than you will with Windex.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

June 2, 2008, 02:22 PM

Awesome - thanks Yao!