DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
5 members and 558 guests
GRN96WS6, onel0wcubn, Scot, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
1200GS off road
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

1200GS off road - October 14, 2015, 05:53 PM

If you had the opportunity to take someone with a 1200GS who "rides it like an enduro" to taskers gap would you take them up the rocky hill leading to the ridge trail on the peters mill side?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

October 14, 2015, 06:13 PM

Have you seen them "ride it like an enduro"? If not i would say no...
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

October 14, 2015, 07:00 PM

I got my SM-T up there once, and I seem to recall someone doing it on an SV650 as well (several years ago though). I'd say if he rides it as well as you say then it should be fine, though my ego hopes he at least finds it a little bit challenging! LOL.

Disclaimer: I haven't been to Taskers this year and don't know what shape it's in.

An an addition: If this fellow happens to be the local dude that qualified for the BMW Trophy challenge he will probably be able to do it in his sleep.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.

Last edited by windblown; October 14, 2015 at 07:05 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 14, 2015, 07:38 PM

So, someone went up that hill with the fairly big rocks on an SV? Huh, I would really like to see that.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

October 14, 2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
So, someone went up that hill with the fairly big rocks on an SV? Huh, I would really like to see that.
Yeah, they had pictures. Might have been off the old .com site, not sure anymore. It was smoother back then. Before Taskers opened up as a OHV area I took a fullsize stock K5 Blazer from Taskers to Petersmill a few times.

Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

October 14, 2015, 07:58 PM

And now you have me curious how things are up there this year...

I know a dude that rode from Petersmill to Taskers Gap with an 1190 earlier this year. I haven't tried it on the Tiger. I ran from Skidmore Lake to Reddish knob on the Tiger without any trouble but I think parts of the Peters Mill run are harder due to a greater level of commitment required in parts of it where a certain amount of speed is actually required, not just optional.

I was going to give Union Springs a shot on the Tiger but haven't yet. Now that leaves are coming down I'm even less inclined to attempt it on the big bike. I've got fairly decent protection on the Tiger but big rocks have a habit of finding weak spots...

Last edited by windblown; October 14, 2015 at 08:01 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

October 14, 2015, 08:16 PM

Are we talking about the same thing? I mean 457 (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...ev3_000235.pdf).
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 14, 2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
Are we talking about the same thing? I mean 457 (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...ev3_000235.pdf).
Oh hell no! LOL.

Anyone who can take a 1200GS through 457 earns off-road God status in my book. It kicks my ass pretty good on the 525. If they do it on a GS please take video so I can watch the big dogs play from the safety of the porch. I want no parts of that trail on a big bike.

I can't imagine how one would get a 500+lb bike started again if they lost momentum on the climb up, or the damage that might ensue with a bobble coming back down thru the rock garden.

You're definitely talking BMW Trophy Challenge territory on 457 with a big bike IMHO.

Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

October 15, 2015, 05:28 AM

Ok, I was beginning to think I suck worse than I actually do and wondering why I haven't taken my cbr up there.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

October 15, 2015, 06:59 AM

So, the reason this is interesting to me is due to the kind of claims I see from a lot of folks with GSes (faster than sportbikes on the road, faster than dirt bikes in the dirt, etc). I'd like to see one of these guys on the sort of stuff that's really not bad at all when riding a full on dirt bike (I can get up and down the hill on 457 pretty quick and I'm just an ok dirt rider - I've still got plenty of things that give me trouble off road).

I should probably just do an official dual sport ride and see what kinds of bikes do the hero sections rather than getting myself into the position of having to help someone wrestle a big, heavy bike out of a bad situation (or worse). I've got a tag for my kdx220 now so it's just a matter of getting some street legal accouterments added to meet the tech requirements. It's just that this guy is local and seems game.
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a llama again!

October 15, 2015, 07:25 AM

LMAO yeah I would like to see one try, but with them being aware I am not here to help them get that bike down.

But honest I think someone with way more skill then I have could do it. I think it's more getting over the fact it's going to get scratched and possibly broken parts.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

October 15, 2015, 10:45 AM

I've watched vids of riders on GS's & 1190's doing amazing things with the right rider on them, and those same riders are generally even more amazing when on a bike that's more narrowly focused for the environment it's being ridden in.

If this guy can walk the walk in tough terrain on that Swiss army knife of a motorcycle that's impressive as hell. Doesn't change the fact that the bike isn't better than a sportbike in the twisties or a dirt bike in the rough stuff.

I might be dead wrong, but most folks making a claim like that from my experience are comparing themselves to other riders with less skill or daring. Put equal riders on both machines and the limits of an all-arounder type bike get very apparent very quickly.

I caught up to a rider on a sportbike at Deals Gap while on my Tiger shod with knobbies. The Tiger must be a paved twisty road carving machine! Hahahaha.

Unread
  (#13)
Sewing Machine Rider

October 15, 2015, 11:23 AM

I've gotten over the pissing contest of "how big of a bike can you do this on" after watching a pro destroy an 1190 on a trail that was a cake walk for me on the 350. Didn't drop it, but a bunch of stuff fell\was hanging off, including the skid plate. I'd be amazed if the motor didn't take some serious shots thereafter. The fact of the matter is that's not what they're designed for and it's like yeah, I could probably do that too if I didn't give a shit about the bike. Pick the appropriate tool for the job, it's that simple. Even if you are an off-road god, ADV bikes are not up to the task of being ridden like a dirt bike.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

October 15, 2015, 12:26 PM

Yep, you guys have got it. I'd just kind of like to see what happens when you've got someone who's been drinking the koolaid faced with reality. If I end up going out to ride with the guy I won't be a prick about it or anything.

Shoot, I have trouble with the idea of buying a brand new dirt bike knowing what I do to them. Forget taking a $20k adv bike out for serious off road riding.