DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
0 members and 556 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Adopt a noob
Unread
  (#1)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

Adopt a noob - July 10, 2014, 11:38 PM

Well, like the title says, anyone wanna adopt a nooob and show him the ropes to trail ride?! I will be hopefully picking up a trail bike this weekend. So i guess my first question is new vs old? I am leaning towards new because I have found some left overs for quite cheap, and i sorta just want to get on it and ride without worrying about it breaking down.

That being said, I have found a 2013 Husky TXC250R for about $4700 (new). Is this a good bike to begin on/price? Other bikes I am looking at are the wr250f, Ktm 250 4 strokes (xcf,xcfw), crf250x, klx300, and husaberg 250s. Any preference as to which model? I was looking at the wr250fs, but from i read the AIS needs to be removed to get good throttle and thats what the dealer said as well, quoted me $500. I mean it looks easy enough, dunno if dealer was just tryn to scare me into buying a KTM. Any help would be much appreciated!

Id like to keep this thread running as I come up with more noob questions!. Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

July 11, 2014, 09:10 AM

Any of the 250 four strokes are a decent bike for woods. Most will need some basic tweaking due to emissions to get them to full potential. As dirtbikes you will be working on them regularly. They are great, but take a beating and therefore are designed with maintenance in mind. Unless you'd prefer to push you bike out of the woods.

If you can afford new, fine. But expect to drop the bike on day 1 in the woods. get bark busters and a skid plate for this region. Plus offroad helmet, knee & elbow guards, chest protector, pants, shirt, gloves, and offroad boots.

Then find some folks riding at someplace easy like Wicomico and tag along.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#3)
250 cc's of awesomeness

July 11, 2014, 09:30 AM

The Husky TXC250 is a great bike, however (and I'm sure gots a sol will be along to scold me shortly) I wouldn't buy an Italian Husky now. I owned a new 09 SM450R and parts were a pain back then. It seemed everything was special order only, aftermarket support was poor in the states, and most of the cool stuff came from either the UK or Italy and was not cheap.

The Husaberg is nice, but again, it's a dying brand, and it has the same problems as other exotics when it comes to parts cost and availability.

This leads us with the 4 best choices for a 250cc 4 stroke woods bike, the Yamaha WRF, Honda CRX, and KTM XC or XCW. Personally, I am a fan of the Yamaha, it's a smooth bike, very reliable, and parts are plentiful and cheap. I own an 09 WR250F that's street legal, very good bike. The Honda is also good, and parts are everywhere. The KTM is a great bike too, the XC is more race focused, it kinda fits in between a MX bike and a trail bike, the suspension is more aggressive, the transmission has tighter ratios, and you will need to add lights, but IIRC all you need to do is buy them and plug them into the factory wiring harness. The XCW is a bit milder, has softer suspension, wider ratio gearbox, and has lights from the factory.

Regarding new or used, I'm not sure of your budget, but you should be able to get a new WRF or CRX in the $6500 range, maybe a bit cheaper if you shop around. The KTM's are gonna be north of $7500 usually. I'm not a fan of buying used dirt bikes, and would personally recommend new if your funds allow.

Here is my plated 09 WR. It's been uncorked with a few YZ mods and is great on the trails or short trips around town.

Unread
  (#4)
250 cc's of awesomeness

July 11, 2014, 09:33 AM

Oh, and the AIS removal kit is $50 from GYTR (Yamaha's performance division) and it takes less than a half hour to install. I removed the AIS, installed a YZ exhaust, removed the airbox snorkel, did the grey wire mod, rejetted the carb, and installed a new fuel adjustment screw. The bike is night and day better than stock. All that stuff above only cost me about $200. The most expensive item is the exhaust, but I scored a like new YZ muffler on ebay for $80 shipped.

Any offroad dirt bike will need to be unrestricted after buying it. The only ones that aren't corked up are the competition MX models like the YZ, CR, SX, etc.
Unread
  (#5)
100% Kawasaki Biased

July 11, 2014, 11:09 AM

I would not be afraid of a used dirt bike. Just make sure you bring someone along that knows what to look for. It's depressing how quickly they depreciate, but I love my KX. Probably not the best choice to learn on or start out on in the woods/rocks, but what can I say, I like overkill.

If you show up with a good attitude and a well maintained bike, I think all of us that ride dirt would be glad to let you tag along and learn the ropes. None of us want to use our trail time to be your personal mechanic though, so a well sorted and equipped/protected bike is a must.

You can live in your car, but you can't race your house.

'07 ZX-10R - 156 RWHP/182 MPH
'09 KX450F - VCHSS 29F
'85 ZL-900 Eliminator
'01 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'06 636 (Sold)
'99 ZX-6R (Sold)
'94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'99 YZ-250 (Sold)
'73 CL 450 (Sold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Jpc...eature=related
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...bud_408656.htmfeature=related

The difference between men and boys is that boys make excuses and men make changes.

Last edited by Thomas; July 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM..
Unread
  (#6)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

July 11, 2014, 11:28 AM

Awesome, thanks for the helpful information. Alot of good information that is gonna make me go back to the drawing board regarding on what bike to get. I have been scowering CL, thumpertalk, and cycletrader for used bikes but seems there arnt many in this area (100 mile radius). I am expecting to drop it a lot, but i dont really care about the bike cosmetically ( i thought dirtbikes were meant for crashing !), so i dont mind binning a new bike but i am concerned about replacement parts on the husky as mentioned. Thanks again! Will report back with pics of the new bike thisbweekend hopefully!
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 11, 2014, 12:02 PM

Buy this and be done looking. bike is in excellent shape and James is a stand up guy. it will do everything you bwant and then some. F/S 2009 CRF250X
Unread
  (#8)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

July 11, 2014, 12:24 PM

Thanks, was looking at that!
Unread
  (#9)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

July 11, 2014, 12:29 PM

I would concur. James takes care of his bike, it's already armored up, and I've seen him ride it at Taskers with no problems several times. Solid used bike.

Mud

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

July 11, 2014, 12:33 PM

Yeah, James' crf-x is sweet and very easy to ride fast (or slow). I was immediately faster on it than on my 2 stroke KX (but I like banging my head against the wall with the KX ). I wouldn't mind having that thing myself but the well is dry.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

July 11, 2014, 01:12 PM

Thanks for all the kind words.

The 2009 specs are the same as the 2014 model. This one is just cheaper and has the pricey goodies you'd want to put on a new one already included.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

July 11, 2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRider View Post
The Husky TXC250 is a great bike, however (and I'm sure gots a sol will be along to scold me shortly) I wouldn't buy an Italian Husky now. I owned a new 09 SM450R and parts were a pain back then. It seemed everything was special order only, aftermarket support was poor in the states, and most of the cool stuff came from either the UK or Italy and was not cheap.

The Italian Huskies are great bikes, but like mentioned (and I agree 100%) parts can be an issue, especially now with the sale of the company. Which is why I own more than one

The lack of aftermarket support never bothered me on these bikes. They come well equipped from the factory and really the only things added to them is armor, which is available from a few companies.

If you join the Husky camp, be sure to check out Cafe Husky

-Joe

17 Beta 250RR/RE
09 Husky WR177

Last edited by Gots_a_sol; July 11, 2014 at 05:09 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Gots_a_sol  
Unread
  (#13)
Que se jodan!!

July 12, 2014, 07:59 AM

There are a bunch of solid off-road guys on this board that are great to ride with - watch for the posted rides and you'll learn a lot. At this point, the bike you choose isn't that important, except in the sense of ease of repair, as you will be wrecking that bitch like the Germans did the Brazilians.

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#14)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

July 12, 2014, 08:09 PM

LOL thanks, ill def keep an eye. Ended up doing cspin last minute this weekend so the bike will have to wait till mext week!
Unread
  (#15)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

July 26, 2014, 06:24 PM

Update: ended up pulling the trigger on a 2013 husky txc250r, price was just too low to pass up! Just gotta hope for the best regarding the parts issue i guess lol.

Im super excited but wont be able to ride it for another 2 weeks until i go on vacation as ill be at njmp next weekend. However my vacation will consist of loading up the street bike and dirt bike, and head back down to chattanooga, tn for some much needed street and now trail therapy! It seems there are alot of offroad trails close by, so im stoked!

In the meantime i have to select my gear. Question about armor, is there any difference in the level of protection between getting the jersey style body armor and seperate elbow pieces vs like those astar type upper body gear that has them all connected?

Also what kind of tire pressure sohoudl i run?

Obligatory pic:
20140726_185816.jpg

Last edited by Riz; July 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM..