DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
0 members and 534 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Beefing up a TTR230: YZ250/125 suspension on TTR230??
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Exclamation Beefing up a TTR230: YZ250/125 suspension on TTR230?? - November 11, 2014, 12:03 PM

I will get Flamed....but...

So i have a TTR 230 and a TTR125, I love both of them and have no plans on getting rid of them. A bunch of my friends local to me have locations that are pretty treacherous but once there...good times. They said my 230 is "OK" but not really lol.... basically it needs suspension. for my weight (235 lbs) and maybe a little bit more power. I was going to do a gearing change first for more torque....

I do plan on getting a 250cc Four stroke YZ or WR at some point next fall (2015), but I do not have the money to get a real nice one now. So...

Ive seen this done on 125cc but have anyone or do anyone know if you can take the front suspension from a 250/125cc YZ and put it on a 230cc TTR?
Along with the swing arm and shock? what years may be swap-able?

Online I have found a bazillion forks and triples...some even with bars for $100 to $200 and more for newer shit.
I dont want to spend a grip on this project...bare minimum.

Once I get my YZ or WR 250 Id let my GF use my moded TTR230 to come out with us. I love the 230 because it is so reliable. Starts every time even after sitting for months.

I dont think Ill ever be airborn flying on a dirt bike...just trails woods, sand traps and stuff, but no real MX type shit.

What do you guys think or know?

my TTR 230

My boys YZ 250F

Of course he wont let me take it apart to see if shit fits lol

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

November 11, 2014, 01:21 PM

Wat? No CR500???

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#3)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 11, 2014, 01:23 PM

Lol still a noobie on the trails. ...

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#4)

November 11, 2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Lol still a noobie on the trails. ...
That's why I didn't suggest the CR640.

Unread
  (#5)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 13, 2014, 01:17 AM

so we got nothing?

Unread
  (#6)

November 13, 2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
so we got nothing?

You got nutink.
Nada.
Zip.
Zilch.
Zero.

Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

November 13, 2014, 06:43 AM

Yeah, I'm sure you'll need some machining tools to do any of it. That said, I've seen a KE100 project bike that someone put "real" suspension on. It's just not something you'd do unless you were planning to ride the bike long term or you were the tinkering type.

You might look in the TTR forum at thumpertalk:
TTR - ThumperTalk
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 13, 2014, 09:13 AM

I checked out TT right after I made this post. Originally I saw where one guy did a late 1980s YZ front end swap that was closer to the TTR spects, but it was still a bit of work.

This was the best quote I found so far:

Quote:
There are 3 things to do to a 230 that are worth doing, and are dirt cheap.

Change the front sprocket to one tooth bigger, jet it so that it breathes better, and put thicker fork oil in the front.
Other than that, it is a terrific bike that won't get much better by spending money on it.
I have a feeling I will just do as this says.

I have a full exhaust and jetted the carbs...

So might just do the 15w oil in the forks and I had plans to do the front sprocket, but I thought I would go down one tooth in the front like I do on sport bikes, but they are saying go UP on tooth in the front...any reason why?
The 230 feels as thouh it needs more torque, and going down one in the front I assumed would do that.

I may just have to wait and get a WR250f

also sounds like a YZ125 suspension that is fully adjustable fits better and uses stock wheels...

Quote:
From what I've read, the 'basic' upgrade is 1.5" of pvc spacer that gets put on top of the fork springs and adding 15cc of fork oil in each leg.
Beyond that you start messing with oil viscosity and more or less oil to suit heavier or lighter riders.
If you are bigger (over 180 or so) it's probably pretty necessary to go to heavier springs. ($110ish)
Bigger improvements with more $$ would be adding Gold Valves ($135 or so) which should come with specific tuning instructions (many rave about these) and sending the stockers out to be tuned for your weight and riding style. I had that done to some XR400 forks of mine (about $200) and they are VERY good, as good as the USD on one of my other bikes.
A machine shop can do the swapping of bearings and or machining of the steering stem, welding of the bearing race mod. Not really anything else to it.
My son rides ours and I should just do the basic mods, but of course I have to keep tweaking every toy I get so I just bought some 2001 YZ125 forks/triples for $100 shipped. Doubt it will take more than another $100 to have the mods done (I'm no wrench either) and that's it.... uses the stock wheel and brakes.

Last edited by vonstallin; November 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM..
Unread
  (#9)

November 13, 2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I checked out TT right after I made this post. Originally I saw where one guy did a late 1980s YZ front end swap that was closer to the TTR spects, but it was still a bit of work.

This was the best quote I found so far:

I have a feeling I will just do as this says.

I have a full exhaust and jetted the carbs...

So might just do the 15w oil in the forks and I had plans to do the front sprocket, but I thought I would go down one tooth in the front like I do on sport bikes, but they are saying go UP on tooth in the front...any reason why?
The 230 feels as thouh it needs more torque, and going down one in the front I assumed would do that.

I may just have to wait and get a WR250f
Put a ziptie around the fork tube. See how much you are using. Like me, you are not the targeted 150lb rider. So typically springs are the first step. I don't know how adjustable the forks are. Adding thicker fork oil will typically slow down the rebound, as well and the compression. This would make it harsher. Since the bike is several years old, I would more likely just refresh the stock oil....as what is in there is likely pretty thin by now. You will feel a difference in the suspension just from that.

Changing the sprocket will change the RPM range in which you are riding. Going up means it's taller gearing - more top end. So at the same speed over an obstacle you will be able to be lower in the RPM's. If you are rev'ing out too much this might help. I do something similar on my 300's by changing the gearing to make 1st obsolete, but 2nd becomes very useable. It's a tradeoff.

Right now? I wouldn't bother with either until you notice handling or drive issues. Riding around Paul's place will not stress that bike. Even the jumps are pretty mild. Just get on and ride the bike. But wear all of the proper gear!!!

Unread
  (#10)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 13, 2014, 12:35 PM

at pauls it felt like I was landing on bolders just from that little hill lol .... your ktm felt good....worlds different...all the little things....I did not feel at all. Bike was just tall as hell.

the forks on the 230 have no adjustments on them at all lol not one knob.
I read that dudes put 1.5inches of pvc inside to tighten up the preload and heavy oil.

Ill see how it do at my boys spot...since its just wild forest and rough construction site shit and other things....ill see how well she do stock.

Unread
  (#11)
Aqua Velvet

November 13, 2014, 12:52 PM

I'll sell you parts off OkayH's TTR that he didn't want to buy back...
Unread
  (#12)

November 13, 2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
at pauls it felt like I was landing on bolders just from that little hill lol .... your ktm felt good....worlds different...all the little things....I did not feel at all. Bike was just tall as hell.

the forks on the 230 have no adjustments on them at all lol not one knob.
I read that dudes put 1.5inches of pvc inside to tighten up the preload and heavy oil.

Ill see how it do at my boys spot...since its just wild forest and rough construction site shit and other things....ill see how well she do stock.
Can I help it you are a dwarf from middle earth? yeesh!

And yeah, I work on my suspension. Otherwise I'd wreck. Er. More.

Spacers = band aid for wrong spring rates. And they tighten the suspension yes, but that can coil bind and make it harsh as well. Fresh oil, then see if there is a difference. After that you can try thinner oil. And stick with the same brand so it's apples to apples.

Unread
  (#13)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 13, 2014, 01:38 PM

Buy an old KDX200 and have fun with it before messing with that swap shit. It aint worth it. Hell you can pick up older KTM's for under 3 grand and parts galore

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#14)
Chasing the dragon

November 13, 2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospected View Post
I'll sell you parts off OkayH's TTR that he didn't want to buy back...
This mofo right here. I'm sure Tyrik is still up on 1 running from bacon around bmore with it

Von, for the ttr125, just spring it, jet it, add appropriate tires on it, and go have fun. My old one had YZ85 forks on it. The front end felt stupid awesome for motard and flat track, but unless you are dumb fast, you won't get the most out of it. Save the coin for now...unless you come across a deal on CL for a roller. You still have to spring that shit though...

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#15)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 14, 2014, 01:00 AM

I just wanted to get something on my TTR 230 because this little hill....

felt like I just landed from this hill....