DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
0 members and 550 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
The Fall - Or how NOT to go around a snowbank on the side of a mountain.
Unread
  (#1)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

The Fall - Or how NOT to go around a snowbank on the side of a mountain. - October 4, 2014, 08:52 PM

Yeah, interesting times doing this...

The height is about 300-400 feet down to where the ground levels out enough to truly be ridable. Ridable if you can run through a rockfield and stay up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsCbNO0Je5Q
Best if watched in 1080HD and full screen. It's kinda long, I was trying to capture the concept of just how hard we really did try to stay on the path when it blew out under my rear wheel and dropped me off the trail onto the side of the mountain.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#2)
Sewing Machine Rider

October 5, 2014, 12:07 AM

That looked like it sucked. Where was that?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)

October 5, 2014, 07:54 AM

Near Breckenridge. About 12,000 feet up. The only suck part was the wet soil giving zero traction. Other than that it just made for another epic day riding out there. We really do try to stay completely on the trails. But when the edge blows out...then it's a matter of doing what you can. So I will never try to bypass a snowed out trail on the edge like that again. Lesson learned.

Oh yeah, 150-200 feet dragging my bike down on the aftermarket Acerbis gas tank. Only very minor scratches. Tough tank. I'd buy another from them in a heartbeat. I've tossed, flipped, dragged, etc. No damage worth noting on it. Great product.

Unread
  (#4)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

October 5, 2014, 08:55 AM

Gee, that looked like...hufff....pufff.......fun....huff...puff.... ..

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Sewing Machine Rider

October 5, 2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
Near Breckenridge. About 12,000 feet up. The only suck part was the wet soil giving zero traction. Other than that it just made for another epic day riding out there. We really do try to stay completely on the trails. But when the edge blows out...then it's a matter of doing what you can. So I will never try to bypass a snowed out trail on the edge like that again. Lesson learned.

Oh yeah, 150-200 feet dragging my bike down on the aftermarket Acerbis gas tank. Only very minor scratches. Tough tank. I'd buy another from them in a heartbeat. I've tossed, flipped, dragged, etc. No damage worth noting on it. Great product.
Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way too this spring, except in my case there was a 6 foot gully in the middle where the drainage was running down and no place to turn around. Ended up getting stuck in the gully and had to ride down in the middle of it, tossing it a couple times along the way. Ended up very muddy, for CO at least.

I had family end up coming in that week, but did you guys end up branching out at all? I don't know of much single track around breck outside of those few trails in the horseshoe area, but that is definitely some of my favorite high altitude riding up there between breck and montezuma. Beyond that though, you guys should check out Bocco Mountain for some sweet single track. It's not that big relatively speaking, but that's probably my favorite single track so far and you can work in some jeep roads around there if you're plated and want some more mileage. There's also a lot of good stuff to the south around Buena Vista in the four mile OHV area which is huge.

It really is nuts how much epic riding is out here. I've put 60h on my bike this season, haven't repeated anything, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
Unread
  (#6)

October 5, 2014, 03:49 PM

The far side of Red cone from Webster pass has some really really fun roller coaster type of riding. Then you get into the 4 mile streambed of rocks. Still fun, but more difficult in the rain going up it. We did Hall Valley, and some trails out around the plains to come back up Georgia Pass from the opposite side of the Tiger road trails to it. Not really single track, more of 4th gear and hammer down stuff. But in the middle of the week there isn't anybody around at all and you can hand it out there a bit.

Hopefully I will be able to ride next year. Looking at shoulder surgery and being off the bikes for 6 months or so. We'll see. Who knows, I might come back better than before. Or I might just come back older than before...

We are usually staying at a house off of Tiger road. Where is Bocco mountain? And four mile OHV?

Unread
  (#7)
ELBOWZ

October 5, 2014, 04:53 PM

Wowzer, that was a workout!

CCS #720 Expert
Michelin Tires www.sportbiketireservice.com
EvolveGT www.evolvegt.com
MRP Motorsports www.mrpmotorsports.com
MOTO-D Racing Tire Warmers www.motodracing.com
EVIL Powder Coating www.evilpowdercoating.com
AMSOIL www.dc-moto.net
Trackside Parts Club www.tracksidepartsclub.com
James
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 5, 2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
Don't believe one word of it. I hear he hired a stunt double.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#9)

October 5, 2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshep View Post

I cut out a lot because it sounded like a 70's slasher flick with all the heavy breathing. Figure you saw about 1/3 of the time we spent fighting to get the bike onto the trail again. Then much less of the wiggle and slide down the mountain. Wish I'd gotten video from the bottom of the hill.

And now you know why I look at hills around here and go ... Meh.

Unread
  (#10)
isn't camping great?!?!

October 5, 2014, 10:25 PM

what time of year was that? june, or recently?

team promotion coach #957
'o4 r6 track only - old pig in new shoes!
'o8 ktm 25o xc-w(e) street legal
'99 ktm 64o enduro a.k.a. "bad betty"
s2ooo street & track duty: volk, brembo, wilwood, ohlins ttx (soon!)

Unread
  (#11)
Sewing Machine Rider

October 5, 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
We are usually staying at a house off of Tiger road. Where is Bocco mountain? And four mile OHV?
Bocco is around an hour west on 70 and I think McCoy is actually above it too, but I haven't ridden that. It's more technical, but it's epic riding up there and it's all singletrack except for the central road.

Stay The Trail Colorado - View Trail System - Bocco Mountain

Stay The Trail Colorado - View Trail System - McCoy

Four mile is about an hour south outside of Buena Vista, which that whole area has a ton of riding. The OHV area is one of the larger ones and there's a good amount of singletrack mixed in with the double track and jeep roads. Outside of that, there's Mt Antero, where you can ride up to 13.8k plus Tin Cup pass will take you over to Taylor Park, which I haven't ridden, but have heard there is a ton of awesome single track between there and Aspen. Exploring that area some more is pretty high on my list, but it's starting to get questionable up high now so it'll probably have to wait until next year.

Stay The Trail Colorado - View Trail System - Four Mile Trail System

Stay The Trail Colorado - View Trail System - Taylor Park Trail System

Last edited by big_sur; October 5, 2014 at 10:40 PM..
Unread
  (#12)

October 6, 2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
what time of year was that? june, or recently?
Late July / Early August was when we were out there.

Unread
  (#13)
isn't camping great?!?!

October 6, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Late July / Early August was when we were out there.
i had a similar experience trying to go from buena vista to crested butte. just bought $50 worth of trail maps only to find 11k+ feet still had 2+ feet of snow on it. after the fact, back at the place i bought the maps, the lady said those passes were impassable until late august. i bit my lip from saying "well why didn't you tell me that when i told you the route i wanted to take and bought $50 of maps from you???" she did refund my money for the maps.

team promotion coach #957
'o4 r6 track only - old pig in new shoes!
'o8 ktm 25o xc-w(e) street legal
'99 ktm 64o enduro a.k.a. "bad betty"
s2ooo street & track duty: volk, brembo, wilwood, ohlins ttx (soon!)

Unread
  (#14)
Sewing Machine Rider

October 8, 2014, 12:09 AM

I was in Breck after work today picking up some parts and rode around a little; did Mt Bross, Wheeler Lake, and Peak 10. Have you guys done Wheeler Lake? It's got some fun trial-sy stuff.
Unread
  (#15)

October 8, 2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
I was in Breck after work today picking up some parts and rode around a little; did Mt Bross, Wheeler Lake, and Peak 10. Have you guys done Wheeler Lake? It's got some fun trial-sy stuff.
Mt Bross - Simple, just keeps going up and up and up. Just be careful about riding around the top. You will easily use up your oxygen and end up run down for hours. Ask me how I know this...

Wheeler Lake - We found this last year. Fun ride. Definitely technical. Due to rain this year I couldn't get anybody to bite and ride it this year. Maybe in 2015. When we did it last year it was *really* dry. The last serious climb on it was zero traction due to the dirt being like sand. We started with 10 or 11 guys. 4 made it to the lake.

Peak 10 - Rocky but not particularly difficult. That's usually one of our last days as we can knock it out in about an hour or two dependingon who is with us and how fast we are riding. Of course somebody always wants to hike to the peak from the weather station. Been there done that, worth the effort, but it's not without risks. Made more difficult usually because of all of the heavy riding gear we are wearing. Still, great view.