DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 560
1 members and 559 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Finally tarded!
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Finally tarded! - August 16, 2009, 04:46 PM

Today was the first real hooliganish motard ride for me and my KTM. Even though Interceptor and I rode only in Maryland, if Virginians had found out what fun this bike was today for us, they would have surely sent the SWAT teams out.

Just a few weeks ago, I was still at this stage (all that fucking bullshit in the background is my housemate's, btw. no self-respecting person would keep their space like that.):

Ah, but now I'm at this stage:

Ok, so I know the rear tire is mounted backwards. This happened at RnR yesterday, and it was not their fault. I forgot to mention that the knobbie rear that was on there was on backwards.

I have the original mirrors and front signals. The only holdup on the front signals are getting some connectors from radio shack. The headlight is cracked and won't pass inspection, but I have an Acerbis Cyclops to replace it. Only problem is that I'm going to have to rig up a mounting system that will work with the protruding instrument cluster and wirging connectors. I need to get some better mirrors and a slick tail light thing so I can get rid of the Soviet mud flap.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG og

August 16, 2009, 04:49 PM

NICE John I'm mad jealous. Hows it handle on the street?

Oh and lol at the VA stuff hahaha.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#3)
Magic Carpet Ride

August 16, 2009, 05:05 PM

I can attest to the fact that the KTM is definitely fun! I was having such a good time riding it I didn't want to give it back. I'm dying to get that thing off road!
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

August 16, 2009, 05:21 PM

I would say between 0 and 80, this bike handles pretty well. Above 80 and it handles ok, but it's sort of pointless. I topped out today at about 95, and that was all she had. That's with a 14T front and 40T rear sprocket. If I slapped the 15 or 16 on there, it might do 100. This is all in Madagascar, of course. I would never dream of exceeding the speed limit here in the United States of America, especially since they're already set so high at like 35 mph out in the country side and such.

I have a stiffer rear shock spring to swap in one of these days. There are a couple oil leaks I need to fix too. (I guess the Austrians took a page from the Brits?)

I have a couple jars set up on my shelf for dropping pennies towards a 17" wheelset.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

August 16, 2009, 06:04 PM

Looks like its time for me to make another appearance in MD aboard the DR-Z. We'll go for another nice mellow ride with that dude named mike up near Baltimore.
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

August 16, 2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
I forgot to mention that the knobbie rear that was on there was on backwards.
MX tires don't really have a "backwards", with knobbies you can mount the tire either way. That's than old motocross trick to save money, once the knobs on the tire to to get worn and rounded, you turn the tire around and use the fresh side of the knobs.

The bikes looking good! I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a WR450F to turn into a supermotard. You should have told me you were looking for a 17" wheel set, I had a 17" Excel set that I have sitting around for while that I just got rid of. I had a YZ450F that I raced supermotard with in Germany but the guy I sold it to wasn't interested in the supermotard parts so I sold it to him in stock trim.

Charlie
Unread
  (#7)
Ballaugh Bridge

August 16, 2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post

Ok, so I know the rear tire is mounted backwards. This happened at RnR yesterday, and it was not their fault. I forgot to mention that the knobbie rear that was on there was on backwards.

I doesn't help that your sprocket is on the wrong side.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#8)
TPG

August 16, 2009, 08:39 PM

Nice, I could have used that today....

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG