DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
1 members and 555 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Front end chatter??
Unread
  (#1)
RIP Jeff Vega

Front end chatter?? - March 23, 2010, 08:07 AM

I have an XR650R with 17's and when really cranked over, I'm getting front end chatter? That have something to do with the long fork tubes flexing on me?

Remedies?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

March 23, 2010, 08:26 AM

My bike is known to have some front suspension issues when really pushing at race speeds. I myself do not have this experience yet, but a guy called paab on supermotojunkie went to town on this issue (look for a thread called something like 690 SMC measured, if interested). I think he and his suspension guy eventually changed all kinds of things including offset, tube position relative to the clamps, valves, springs, and maybe even preload. The problem seems to be that the tubes are just not adequately set up for road racing.

Why did a type all of that? Because my 620 was similar (but not as harsh), and I suspect that your front suspension may be similar as well. In order to ensure that you don't bottom out after a little bit of air, Honda probably set the front up stiff and clunky. It's asking a lot of a bike to handle well on pavement at speed and also not blow up on the trails.

Do you have any air vent screws on the top caps of those fork tubes? If so, start by venting them. Then soften the compression damping all the way and see how that is. Then I guess tighten that down again as needed. The other thing to start testing is triple clamp height/position. If you have adjustable offset, then you can experiment there too. Otherwise you're looking at needing to tear them down and upgrade the internals.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

March 23, 2010, 07:47 PM

The forks on that bike stink for SM use. When I had my 650r motard I pulled the forks down and installed the proper springs for my weight .49 verse the .43 that are stock. Then I installed the gold valve with a single stage stack to better suit the street. The suspension on this bike is way to soft and the front is way worse than the rear. After doing the fork and shock I installed a fork brace from summers racing and she was perfect. I had debated putting the CRF450 forks on the bike but figured I would see how the suspension worked after upgrading it. Needless to say the CRF swap never happened and the guy who bought the suspension emailed me after he installed it on his bike and said it was awesome. I should've never sold the bike
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

March 24, 2010, 09:32 AM

I used a 600r at many trackdays at beaverun. The best way to set this bike up is using stiffer fork and shock springs, fork brace and slicks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96xr600r3small.JPG (100.4 KB, 58 views)

Its not how fast you wreck, its how fast you stop.
Unread
  (#5)
RIP Jeff Vega

March 24, 2010, 09:38 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. In reality I'm not riding hard enough on the street (or shouldn't be for that matter) to get enough chatter to worry about on a regular basis. However, I would like to change the spring rates on the bike so it will handle better in the future.
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

March 24, 2010, 09:41 AM

No way, a motorcycle question answered, with out bs and stupid posts!?

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#7)
RIP Jeff Vega

March 24, 2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
No way, a motorcycle question answered, with out bs and stupid posts!?
Thats cause its a supermoto
Unread
  (#8)
Derpentine Dealer

March 24, 2010, 11:24 AM

Less image-oriented supermoto owners than sportbike owners.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#9)
God of the Gaps

March 26, 2010, 02:40 PM

Is what you feel chatter/skipping, or the weaving/wobbling caused by soft suspension and chassis flex? If it's real chatter, you should feel it under braking, and could be too much compression damping like OSD said, or the damping/springs can just be so worn or soft you're bottoming the forks out and causing it.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
540 Boyz Stunt Team Rider

April 4, 2010, 09:57 PM

I know in Motocross chatter is caused by rebound damping that is too fast....also anyone that has an SM on the street should have a steering stabilizer...
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to