DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 533
2 members and 531 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Inverting forks
Unread
  (#1)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

Inverting forks - October 7, 2010, 12:50 AM

Is there any disadvantage to inverting forks? It seems every bike I see nowadays whether it's street, sumo, or dirt has inverted forks. All I can find are benefits as to unsprung weight reduction and such.

The only problem I see is that if your fork seals blow you drain out the fork oil since the reservoir is on top now, but I don't particularly want my seals to go anyway with my regular forks.

I guess my biggest question is, I want to remove the black rubber fork guard tubes because I hate cleaning them but short of cutting them off I'd have to remove the forks anyway, so would I be able to put them back on upside down and throw some fork guards on? I'm a pretty big noob to this whole thing so I'm just trying to learn haha. The top and bottom diameters aren't the same but would a new triple clamp and axle mounts do the trick?

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

October 7, 2010, 02:24 AM

It would probably be easier to find a oem inverted fork set up from a model/type of newer bike that will work with your triple and geometry.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
The last urrbendah

October 7, 2010, 06:13 AM

Don't you have a drz? Should be pretty easy I'd think. Look for a set of triples and forks off the SM. Can't be that hard.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
opossum puncher

October 7, 2010, 08:05 AM

Inverting your current forks is out of the question, purchasing inverted forks is an option.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#5)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

October 7, 2010, 09:04 AM

cool thanks guys! I figured when I did searches on here and SMJ and nothing came up I was crazy, good deal.

I'll probably just stick it out with my current forks then and go crazy this summer when I can afford a track only bike

Unread
  (#6)
Playing in the dirt

October 7, 2010, 09:42 AM

Inverted forks are more rigid and offer less flex, as well as having less under hang than conventional. They are also built completely differently, as the outer tube is 1.5 - 2x as long on an inverted fork.

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

October 7, 2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokierider View Post
cool thanks guys! I figured when I did searches on here and SMJ and nothing came up I was crazy, good deal.

I'll probably just stick it out with my current forks then and go crazy this summer when I can afford a track only bike
All the above info is great but the forks you have are very capable of doing anything you're looking to do. If you want a better fork just spring and valve the stock fork to fit your needs. I have done many revalves and resprings on the drz forks and NO ONE has ever had a complaint. The little flex the forks have is actually not a bad trait for off road riding. Hell Scott Summers (Many time GNCC champion ) use to take the conventional forks from his XRs and install them on his CRF450X because the added flex helped fight rider fatigue.
I also noticed you have B-burg as your current location. Have you found the many dual sport friendly roads in the area? I grew up there and we use to spend many hours riding the trails and jeep roads.
Unread
  (#8)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

October 7, 2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
All the above info is great but the forks you have are very capable of doing anything you're looking to do. If you want a better fork just spring and valve the stock fork to fit your needs. I have done many revalves and resprings on the drz forks and NO ONE has ever had a complaint. The little flex the forks have is actually not a bad trait for off road riding. Hell Scott Summers (Many time GNCC champion ) use to take the conventional forks from his XRs and install them on his CRF450X because the added flex helped fight rider fatigue.
I also noticed you have B-burg as your current location. Have you found the many dual sport friendly roads in the area? I grew up there and we use to spend many hours riding the trails and jeep roads.
Hmm that's really interesting, I've never rode a bike with inverted forks so that's where I'm coming from. The springs seem fine since I only weigh about 130 without gear but I've heard nothing but good things about revalving jobs

I've found quite a few roads down here, mostly old fire roads and logging roads that run along the VA/WVa border, they're too much fun. Interestingly I seem to be the only one with a dual sport around here though so I usually ride alone unless my friends with 4runners come out which means I can't have tooo much fun

Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

October 7, 2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Hmm that's really interesting, I've never rode a bike with inverted forks so that's where I'm coming from. The springs seem fine since I only weigh about 130 without gear but I've heard nothing but good things about revalving jobs

I've found quite a few roads down here, mostly old fire roads and logging roads that run along the VA/WVa border, they're too much fun. Interestingly I seem to be the only one with a dual sport around here though so I usually ride alone unless my friends with 4runners come out which means I can't have tooo much fun
Lol..... trust me you're not alone. When I come back home I always bring my dual sport. Have you rode Brush Mountain? How about the trails on Mountain Lake? Next time I'm in we should hook up and I could spend the whole day showing you some kick butt trails.
Unread
  (#10)
Shot, over.

October 7, 2010, 12:52 PM

If you're dual sporting the DRZ, you do not need male-slider forks.

You will only feel the difference under really exceptional conditions, like landing off a 40' double, or charging through stadium whoops. Or perhaps super hard braking on the street.

I have a 2002 DRZ-S and it's more than capable. I also have a KTM 525EXC and a 2006 YZ250. The real differences are made with valving, springing, and proper oil height.

If you are looking for folks to DS with, try advrider.com, or thumpertalk.com. They are more dirt oriented.

Last edited by pplassm; October 7, 2010 at 12:54 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

October 7, 2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Lol..... trust me you're not alone. When I come back home I always bring my dual sport. Have you rode Brush Mountain? How about the trails on Mountain Lake? Next time I'm in we should hook up and I could spend the whole day showing you some kick butt trails.
Definitely! Brush mountain has a fire road along a ridge that you get on off 460 right? One of my favorite ride is out to butt mountain to an abandoned firetower and weather station

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

October 7, 2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Definitely! Brush mountain has a fire road along a ridge that you get on off 460 right? One of my favorite ride is out to butt mountain to an abandoned firetower and weather station
That's brush mountain for sure. I'm pretty sure the butt mountain you speak of is the mountain lake trail. If the view from the abandoned fire tower looks like something off a post card then they are one and the same. We also have a few awesome miles of trails down in the Mccoy area that lead over into Giles county and depending on your skill level I can show you some nasty single track that will work you and your bike to it's limits.
Unread
  (#13)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

October 8, 2010, 01:23 PM

That would be awesome, I'm not too skilled yet because my offroad experience consists of the paths I can find on my own, but I haven't found anything that's completely stopped me yet. I took my TW200 on a mountain biking trail by accident off of the brush mountain road because I thought it was a jeep trail with gatekeeper obstacles until it narrowed up real quick

I went camping up at the firetower and took missed a turn off of mountain lake road and got mixed up in the logging roads north of the lake and by the sheer grace of God found the campsite coming the from the other direction. Now that I know where I went though I can't wait to get back out there