DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 548
2 members and 546 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
KTM 625 SMC
Unread
  (#1)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

KTM 625 SMC - March 28, 2011, 07:06 PM

So rather than spend all the money to get a set of rims and the other needed parts for my bike, I think I'm just going to look into getting a 625 smc this summer. (Kinda looking at the 690 but I don't know)

I've looked up info on the oil change and found a guide on advrider that makes it look more in-depth than normal but not too bad after a few times. Is any other maintenance really that hard compared to a 'normal' bike? I feel like being my first time away from the Big 4 I'll be a bit more paranoid (with or without reason) about making sure everything is working well.

The Husky 610 looks nice as well as the SXV 4.5, so I'll look more into those too and the final decision will probably come down to the best deal I can find when I have the funds put together.

I know there are tons of threads on smj and tt about these and I'm in the process of reading through them but for now I was just wondering what you guys thought about these choices since you all live relatively close by and ride the same stuff (except for my awesome roads and trails down here ) Thanks!

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 29, 2011, 11:50 AM

I love me the 625 SMC. I had the 640 Duke II. Great bike but if you ride it a lot you have to maintain it! The best oil and change it every 2000 miles. Hell if you want a project bike, Like rebuild the motor and put it back together, I have my Duke II still. All of it. PM me if you want more details. We could work out a good deal.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Pleased to meet me

March 29, 2011, 11:59 AM

Oil change is kinda involved but I always thought of it as KTM trying to make the bike solid.
Ya gotta find a 625 that's not beat to crap. Seat is hard and it's kinda tall. Not as good as the Duke on the street but funner than most other stuff.
Unread
  (#4)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

March 29, 2011, 07:45 PM

Hmm I hadn't looked at the Duke too much. I'll do some more research on it, sending you a pm. Rebuilding a motor could be a very fun start to summer project. And I LOVE the low front fender on there, one of the reasons I picked up the TW 2 summers ago

As to tall bikes and hard seats, I'm used to one foot on the ground now with my DRZ and took the 2x4 seat on an 10 hour ride with the club down here, so I'm going to take as full advantage of being young and resilient as I can hahah

Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

March 29, 2011, 08:11 PM

Banning loved his 625 SMC and always treated it with kid gloves.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

March 29, 2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post

YouTube - MVI 1858

tarded people are just too much fun

Unread
  (#7)
Get Tarded!

March 29, 2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:

YouTube - MVI 1858
I value my life, so as long as I can see orange in the distance I am good. He is a mad man on any bike... and one heck of a fun/ fearless group leader.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#8)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 31, 2011, 12:07 PM

I see nothing wrong with the 625 but definitely put a little thought in to the SXV450 as well.

The 450's are a little less high strung compared to the 550 which in turn makes it less of a queen. I've seen lots of near-new 450's pop up for $6k and under (the guy I bought my 550 from is also selling an 08 450 for $6200, brand new).

The additional cylinder really transforms the bike.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#9)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

March 31, 2011, 03:45 PM

I'll do some research on the SXV, the twin set up does seem like it would be very nice since the only thing I've ridden are singles

Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

March 31, 2011, 05:25 PM

Maintenance, consider maintenance. If you want to put a lot of street miles on a bike, the LC4 bikes are really bomb proof and hard to top.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#11)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

March 31, 2011, 06:13 PM

Tons and tons of street miles, and yea the LC4 seems as close to the big 4 as you get from what I read

Hmm so maybe no ape, I'll still look into it a bit. Dodge's Duke is looking pretty good if I still like it after I check it out

PS. got some good video today when you can see through the rain, didn't do any trails since it was too wet but got video the whole way up the mountain on a fire road. I'm putting it up tonight haha

Unread
  (#12)
Derpentine Dealer

March 31, 2011, 06:17 PM

You won't be able to do much offroading with the Duke though. Even the 690 SM/SMR is somewhat handicapped offroad. The SMC is about the biggest bike you want for getting out into the dirt like we did last weekend.

Unread
  (#13)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

March 31, 2011, 06:22 PM

The the biggest thing holding me back. Ideally if I land the job I want this summer I could afford both, but I don't think I'd have the time or space for two bikes. Otherwise I'd love to have both a more streetable bike and a take-wherever-I-please bike. I'll keep my eyes peeled on smj for a deal on a 625 so we'll see

Unread
  (#14)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 31, 2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
You won't be able to do much offroading with the Duke though. Even the 690 SM/SMR is somewhat handicapped offroad. The SMC is about the biggest bike you want for getting out into the dirt like we did last weekend.
BULLSHIT! I did off road just like we did on the ride with my Duke. The Duke II was awesome at everything. It is just as light as yours and same travel/clearance.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#15)
Derpentine Dealer

March 31, 2011, 09:00 PM

I was thinking 690 Duke.