DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 566
1 members and 565 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Modifications to SM's
Unread
  (#1)
Republicans for Voldemort

Modifications to SM's - June 10, 2008, 09:45 AM

I guess Motard fever is amongst us... I know I have been hit up about what my setup is on my KTM and what it was on my DRZ quite a few times in the recent weeks... I thought it might be worthwhile to have a list of mods that have been done and who has done what in case other folks are interested in doing the same thing.

KTM SXC625 - Purchased Used with SM Wheel already on it.. Current Modification done by me
FCR41 Carb (flat slide) from a SMC vs the OEM BST40 (CV) (from Advrider at $350 prejetted by a SXC rider)
Wings Exhaust (Advrider $200)
18L tank (Advrider $250)
Future - Picked up a used Ohlins - will revalve it and get my forks done this winter...
The carb was a nice feature - made the throttle snappier and more responsive.. It's great on the track - power is immediate and it pulls hard.. However, it's a bit more of a handful on the street - it takes some getting use to when throwing it around - you have to be mindful of sudden throttle adjustments - it will take off like a rocket and a hard roll off gives you some serious engine breaking ... It's great for going full tilt boogie, but it's hard to remain calm on it, it's serious hooligan now

Drz400sm bought Brand New (sold to Dave/SteelRain in 07)
Following done by me
Heat wrapped Scorpion with FMF header - (Ebay and local for $250)
DJ jetkit ($50) done to Burned Specifications from Thumpertalk
FCR39 Carb (Flat slide) the OEM was a CV 36 I think.. (Ebay/Thumpertalk seller $300)
Protaper 1 /1/8 bar with Zeta Clamp ($150 from wheeling supply).

The carb was a HUUUUGE improvment and transforms the bike and give it some decent usable power - it's a perfect street SM - gave it some power - but gave it immediate response.. I could change lanes and pass with power on the slab at 75 + on the highway... Once done - only how light and wind was hte reason I wouldn't slab - but it would do it great.. Only place it just didn't hack it was on the track - on short tracks like Summit/jefferson, most sportbikes could still out power you just enough on the straights..

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!

Last edited by hondahawkrider; June 10, 2008 at 10:01 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#2)
Meh

June 10, 2008, 09:55 AM

I gotta get over there and see these tards in action. I am getting tard fever.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Pleased to meet me

June 10, 2008, 10:05 AM

Good post. I wish I had a dollar for every good thing said about the FCR 41.
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

June 10, 2008, 10:48 AM

The only thing I have (lets not say bad) about the fcr is it seems real temp sensitive... I move the needle 2 positions from riding in the 60s to riding in the 90+ temps... Otherwise I get the steady cruise stumble studder hiccup issue.

As for mods... Deristricted, JD kit, 18 litre, bar end mirrors, raised bars, tail/turn mod, airbox cover, 08 exc headlamp/mask and I'm on distanzias... Oh plus an extra set of behr wheels in black standing by.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ktmlamp2.jpg (189.5 KB, 5 views)

ZX7 sold!
SMC 625
SX 450 tarded
XR 100
JR 50

Last edited by 1chicken; June 10, 2008 at 10:52 AM..
Unread
  (#5)

June 10, 2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chicken
The only thing I have (lets not say bad) about the fcr is it seems real temp sensitive... I move the needle 2 positions from riding in the 60s to riding in the 90+ temps... Otherwise I get the steady cruise stumble studder hiccup issue.

As for mods... Deristricted, JD kit, 18 litre, bar end mirrors, raised bars, tail/turn mod, airbox cover, 08 exc headlamp/mask and I'm on distanzias... Oh plus an extra set of behr wheels in black standing by.
Which airbox mod - friend gave me an KTM airbox cover for a KTM lc4 - but it doesn't fit my SXC.. I keep meaning to check the differences between the sxc and smc airboxes...

FWIW - the SXC has the competition pipe OEM - it's a good pipe and USFS approved - etc... However, I had smiliar issue but it was very minor - UNTIL I went to the Wings Exhaust - the bike seems to breathe better and have since ridden in 50 degrees and was out this past weekend in the 90s and no problem... it's not even a loud pipe... Something sticks in my head about that issue with the later dual pipe issue and needing to uncork the exhausts - I would troll around on KTMTALK (Im a lifetime members with the 15% of parts and whatknot)..

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

June 10, 2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
Which airbox mod - friend gave me an KTM airbox cover for a KTM lc4 - but it doesn't fit my SXC.. I keep meaning to check the differences between the sxc and smc airboxes...

FWIW - the SXC has the competition pipe OEM - it's a good pipe and USFS approved - etc... However, I had smiliar issue but it was very minor - UNTIL I went to the Wings Exhaust - the bike seems to breathe better and have since ridden in 50 degrees and was out this past weekend in the 90s and no problem... it's not even a loud pipe... Something sticks in my head about that issue with the later dual pipe issue and needing to uncork the exhausts - I would troll around on KTMTALK (Im a lifetime members with the 15% of parts and whatknot)..
Yea just the airbox cover... Exhaust is pee shooter free.. but its funny the way it acts. I may have to peck around over there and see what I find. I hear guys on junkie from time to time having the stumble cruising issue and for no apparent reason it seems.. they dick with all sorts of things and finally lower the needle and its gone. The first time it happened to me, if I recall correctly, temp didn't bring it on... but a fresh tank of fuel seemd to clear it up for a while. Its really strange, but lowering the needle always takes care of it. Come to think of it I need to check my air filter... I hit dirt every now and then but its not too dusty, normally hardpack, but it may be getting dirty enough to cause an issue. Strange though WOT is fine and strong as ever... just effects mid-range.

ZX7 sold!
SMC 625
SX 450 tarded
XR 100
JR 50
Unread
  (#7)
( * )|( * )

June 10, 2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks hawk...I think I'm going to end up getting another DRZ (the 06 is now LadyK's) and putting the carb on both bikes.

Winter project!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#8)
Bug
Got my Permit

June 10, 2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chicken
I have the FCR stutter problem too. It happens with humidity and a drop in the barometric pressure. Moving the needle clip only seemed to change the rpm where it stutters and made the bike run less than optimal.

I tried widening the sparkplug gap from .024 to .032 with some luck when the humidity rolled in over the weekend. The problem isn't gone, but it is no longer a nuisance. When the stutter is really bad it feels like someone is pulling on the seat at constant throttle. That feeling was dimished drastically by changing the plug gap.
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

June 10, 2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug
I have the FCR stutter problem too. It happens with humidity and a drop in the barometric pressure. Moving the needle clip only seemed to change the rpm where it stutters and made the bike run less than optimal.

I tried widening the sparkplug gap from .024 to .032 with some luck when the humidity rolled in over the weekend. The problem isn't gone, but it is no longer a nuisance. When the stutter is really bad it feels like someone is pulling on the seat at constant throttle. That feeling was dimished drastically by changing the plug gap.
I'll give that a try... Thanks Bug!
Man it was real bad on the way home today.

ZX7 sold!
SMC 625
SX 450 tarded
XR 100
JR 50
Unread
  (#10)
mx racer for life!

June 19, 2008, 09:47 PM

my 2008 klx 450 has full fmf ti megabomb exhaust, factory connection suspension, twin air filter and cage, power now, jet kit,blue excel rims, buchanan spokes,renthal chain and sprockets,carbonfiber air box heat shield, renthal bars, asv levers,909 grips, mx bonz blue vent kit, decal works graphics, cycra-lite moto front fender, ceet stepped seat with blue gripper cover, blue aluminum gas cap, mx bonz coolant hose heat shields, engine ice coolant and the latest additon is the 320mm ebc rotor. love this bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 051908_06041[1].jpg (79.8 KB, 7 views)

works creations.....vintage mx and street bike restorations! mx and street bike maintenance, set up and tuning. 3019432259
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

June 19, 2008, 11:22 PM

and street legal...how?
Unread
  (#12)
mx racer for life!

June 20, 2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
and street legal...how?
baja designs daulsport kit and a maryland state insp....no problem.

works creations.....vintage mx and street bike restorations! mx and street bike maintenance, set up and tuning. 3019432259
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Meh

June 20, 2008, 09:11 AM

That looks sick.
Unread
  (#14)

June 20, 2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastator
baja designs daulsport kit and a maryland state insp....no problem.
Yeah, but did you say that you had to back to the dealer to get something that said they made a mistake about the title showing "off road use only" or something....

How did you get around that... I remember you saying the dealer faxed the MSO and crap to the MVA with it as a dirt bike - etc... How did you get around that....

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Unread
  (#15)
Signed up for Track Days!

June 20, 2008, 10:18 AM

On my DRZ, I'm running a Yosh Pipe and muffler... why did you wrap the pipe on yours? Did you change out your springs at all?