DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
1 members and 554 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
My XR400 into a supermoto???
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

My XR400 into a supermoto??? - September 17, 2007, 10:03 AM

Who has turned their XR400 into a Supermoto? Tell me what you did.

I have a 1999 XR400 that I want to do this to so I can ride it in Virginia.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Anyone who has one near Alexandria I would love to check it out.

So far all I have is an extra set of rims and the base bike.

1999 XR400 XR's Only Big Bore kit, Ported and Polished head with Ti vales and springs, HRC racing Cam
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Typical Stripper

September 17, 2007, 11:14 AM

Welcome!

I defer you to ADVRider and SuperMotoJunkie

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)

September 17, 2007, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the new site to look at. I have already posted on supermotojunkie.

Hopefully someone local has a XR400 supermoto that I can check out for ideas and lessons learned.

1999 XR400 XR's Only Big Bore kit, Ported and Polished head with Ti vales and springs, HRC racing Cam
Unread
  (#4)
Republicans for Voldemort

September 17, 2007, 05:01 PM

Actually, the xr400 is turned into a motard over seas - see

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/2050316.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...XR4_motard.jpg...

Also, it's heavy as crap with the extra stuff - but look for part #s from a honda falcon as well as it's got the same motor/suspension but has street wheels...

You will have less performance than a stock drz400sm - as it's an older air cooled motor, not as much HP - but it's bulletproof... However, go a google search for xrsonly - they have hopup parts available... With some tweaking and gearing you can make a pretty decent all purpose 'tard...

I would work on the wheels 1st - if you dont' want to give up the dirt tires - start looking for hubs to lace up some SM wheels to it ..... Also start thinking bout brake caliper re-location. SM will require a bigger disk (also if you are going to play switchies and use the dirt wheel - remember to get 2 rotors and put one on the dirt wheels - it sux going back and forth with the rotor.... IF you want really cheap - you should be able to use GS500 wheels with a little bit of machine work...

just my $.02

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#5)
One and Only

September 17, 2007, 07:08 PM

With the right gearing, anything can be a 'tard.

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#6)

September 18, 2007, 05:52 AM

Hondahawkrider thanks for the comments and the links. The motor on my bike has already been to XR's only for a healthy dose of their goodies.

My desire is to add some street tires and other electricals to the bike so I can ride it on the street. I will keep one set of rims with dirt tires and one with the street so I just swap the wheel sets. What I need is for someone who has done this type of conversion to show me what they have done and learned from the experiance.

Anyone have a XR400 Tard in the area that they want to show me?

Unread
  (#7)
( * )|( * )

September 18, 2007, 08:34 AM

try thumpertalk as well...tons of info on that site.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#8)
Republicans for Voldemort

September 18, 2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gunther1
Hondahawkrider thanks for the comments and the links. The motor on my bike has already been to XR's only for a healthy dose of their goodies.

My desire is to add some street tires and other electricals to the bike so I can ride it on the street. I will keep one set of rims with dirt tires and one with the street so I just swap the wheel sets. What I need is for someone who has done this type of conversion to show me what they have done and learned from the experiance.

Anyone have a XR400 Tard in the area that they want to show me?
You are lucky- in va you don't need turn signals - just brake and headlight.... Don't try and run too many other electral items - you will burn out yer rectifier...

THe cheapest route would be to get some OEM hubs off of ebay and then to get em laced to aftermarket rims.... Personally, I would relocate the caliper for the SM wheel with the bigger rotor and mod the dirt rim to take a bigger rotor so when you switch tires - you don't have to keep relocating it (pita)...

Every SM is a tad different, the DIY way will be cheaper - but you will have issues.. Everyone does it differently to suit themselves and their budget... Guy at SMJ (supermotojunkie) just sold and awesome one .. He could answer your questions...I have yet to see a xr400sm in person ... It's been mostly drz-e and xr650l's for me....

The one thing I caution folks on the diy - is that if you get carried away - you can wind upside down in it REAL easy... Look at what you have to spend initially to get started, total cost, and what your bike is worth.. I know allot of folks who bailed on the DIY way - sold the bike they had and got a OEM SM new instead.... It's quicker, easier, and you get a waranttee...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider