DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 546
2 members and 544 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ok...I've narrowed down to two
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

Ok...I've narrowed down to two - June 15, 2008, 10:53 PM

Ok, I've decided it's down between these two bikes.

Before I even say what they are YES...there is a big performance gap so I realize that. It's coming down to a variety of things such as reliability, maintenance, cost...etc...etc...

I'm still researching so if anyone knows anyone with an SXV 4.5 (2008 specifically) I would like to know how many miles, issues if any, mainteance items of concern..ie..anything that requires the motor or major parts to be replaced at short intervals such as 5K or lower...etc..etc...

The other bike is getting another DRZ (yes...I know I know) however, I would build it up similar to Craig's with the FCR carb, big bore kit...and all the other goodies.

So...if anyone has info on the 08 SXV 4.5 please let me know, I'm probably not going to get it until either fall or spring (probably spring).

As far as use, I'm looking to have something fun for the street and possibly running some supermoto trackdays (I mean the ones up at E-town with pavement/dirt/jumps) So the bike isn't going to be raced or beaten to horribly.

As far as cost, buying a DRZ and getting the mods will run close to the cost of the Aprilia so that factor is done. However, as far as performance I realize the Aprilia is far beyond the DRZ however, if it does not run...what's the point hence why I haven't decided on either one 100%.

Any help would be appreciated...although I'm not really in a rush at this point.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Pleased to meet me

June 16, 2008, 07:14 AM

I had another DRZ chat Saturday night. What you get in that bike is no guilt thrashing. It seems to be the universal conclusion. Aprilia rules but is it smart money?

Maybe buy a used DRZ in the fall/winter when they are a bit cheaper and spend the winter doing your mods. Take the money left over and buy your girl something nice.
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

June 16, 2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness
I had another DRZ chat Saturday night. What you get in that bike is no guilt thrashing. It seems to be the universal conclusion. Aprilia rules but is it smart money?

Maybe buy a used DRZ in the fall/winter when they are a bit cheaper and spend the winter doing your mods. Take the money left over and buy your girl something nice.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to find out. From what I hear the 4.5 has been reliable and I haven't seen much in the way of complaints.

I'm always buying her something nice...and pretty soon she's getting something real nice!

I do agree with what you said about the DRZ though...if I could find one with the mods that would be perfect so I guess we'll see.

This won't happen until the fall (unless my side project takes off in which case I'll have cash in hand for the DRZ or the Ape soon)

Chris
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 16, 2008, 08:25 AM

be different get the Ape. so's i can ride it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...m230260536653&

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#5)
Bug
Got my Permit

June 16, 2008, 10:00 AM

The 4.5 being more reliable is what everyone is saying, but when you finally look into it? It has all kinds of problems, but they seem less catastrophic than the 5.5. I know where there is a new 2007 in Western Maryland. I thought the dealer had it advertised for 6.6k, and you get a warranty.

The DRZ is a great bike. Gcab935 put a 440 kit in his with the FCR. He also got rid of some weight by going to lighter headlight, plastic tank, and kick start, no battery. The bike wheelies in third gear now. DRZ has far more reliability and less maintenance the Ape.

Man, you narrowed it down to two very different bikes.
Unread
  (#6)
Typical Stripper

June 16, 2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug
That was my thought.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

June 16, 2008, 10:27 AM

One thing to consider with the DRZ is riding comfort. For around town and short trips, Craig loves the bike, especially with all the mods (to up the bike from stock 34 to around 45-48 hp, if you believe the stats). But, for longer trips, the narrow seat is pretty uncomforable, making road trips extremely unpleasant!! He looked at some aftermarket seats with a little wider beam to improve comfort, but never actually committed to one. Its something to consider...
Unread
  (#8)
( * )|( * )

June 16, 2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug

I know...hence my dilema. I would get an 08...I hear the 5.5 and 4.5 has been improved.

I know the Aprilia will require more care VS the DRZ. That's pretty much why I'm digging up info. Although, if the 4.5 is a bike that will require me to tear the motor down every 100 hours than I won't go that route. In which case...it will most likely end up being the DRZ (maybe Nate's husky if it's still around)

Chris
Unread
  (#9)
( * )|( * )

June 16, 2008, 11:17 AM

Ok...so I spoke to a friend who knows aprilia's and although that bike is hands down "THE" supermoto to get, the maintenance is more than I'm willing to deal with.

So...I am now considering a Husky or DRZ...ugh...

Tony (RacerX) was kind enough to meet up with me and let me ride his. The motor was quite different than the DRZ. It had a very smooth delivery and quite a bit more grunt. Handling was far improved over the DRZ although, the way Tony's is set...it's too hard for my taste but the bike hand seemingly endless grip and within a few miles I began to feel a bit more comfortable. Last turn of the day, I was able to spin up the rear while getting the front off the ground and the bike was solid...

Nate's is now under consideration although the timing isn't ideal so I'm not sure if I can swing that right now.

Stay tuned...the saga continues!

Chris
Unread
  (#10)
Typical Stripper

June 16, 2008, 11:21 AM

You can take mine for a spin - I think you'll want to take out a loan or hussle for a payment plan... it's quite a bit different then stock.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
( * )|( * )

June 16, 2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
You can take mine for a spin - I think you'll want to take out a loan or hussle for a payment plan... it's quite a bit different then stock.
Your bike is #1 on my list right now to be honest. I trust your care with bikes which is why that is so. Problem is, with my schedule I'm not sure whether I can swing it financially.

I'm going to give my bank a call and see whether I can work anything out...right now I'm not sure so I'd have to hear the numbers and see if that's something that is "doable"

I rode Tony's so I know yours would be exactly what I want.

I'll PM you later today

Chris
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

June 17, 2008, 02:34 PM

Get a Husky!!! SMR510 Torque Moster.. wish i could have kept mine...

Thanks to my sponsors.

2up minis
Dayton Computer and Sign
AXO USA
Smith Optics
SixSixOne
Tag Metals
Sunline
Globe Shoes
Unread
  (#13)
( * )|( * )

June 17, 2008, 02:59 PM

I'm buying Nate's 610

Chris
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

June 17, 2008, 04:13 PM

ha i knew you liked it!

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#15)
( * )|( * )

June 26, 2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
So now I'm the proud owner of Nate's former SM610. I can now say I own a "Made my Nate bike" the bike blew away my expectations...WOW...as usual Nate performed his magic and turned the Husky into a two wheeled piece of art

Nate has been excellent to deal with...if he's ever selling something be sure that you can't go wrong.

I rode Tony (racerx) SM610 which is stock and Nate wasn't kidding...it's a HUGE difference, the bikes feel completely different...Tony if you're keeping your SM I'd highly recommend asking Nate what mods he did because Nate's SM is a beast.

I got to ride it home about 40 miles and got a feel for the bike and discovered the famous flat spot which honestly I just got used to and it wasn't a big deal. Bike has amazing power, sounds incredible, the handling so far feels great so I am very pleased.

I'll post some pics up tomorrow, I plan on taking a few when I get home but K and I will be riding to the spot so you can see it there...the bike really is the nicest SM I've seen in person

Thanks again Nate!

Chris