DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 528
0 members and 528 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rekluse EXP and clutch wear
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Rekluse EXP and clutch wear - October 10, 2013, 07:21 AM

So, I've got a Rekluse EXP in the KX now. I'm wondering if I ought to buy another set of clutch fibers and keep them in my tool box on the notion that these things accelerate clutch wear. Worth doing? Just how much extra wear do these clutches cause?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

October 10, 2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
So, I've got a Rekluse EXP in the KX now. I'm wondering if I ought to buy another set of clutch fibers and keep them in my tool box on the notion that these things accelerate clutch wear. Worth doing? Just how much extra wear do these clutches cause?
Depends on how lazy you become with shifting gears and how you ride. If you're always a gear high and prefer to lug the engine then get some spare fibers for the tool box.
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a llama again!

October 10, 2013, 07:29 AM

Can't see how it would hurt having spares around. Question is how do you soak them in oil over night or has something changed where you don't need to that anymore.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 10, 2013, 07:32 AM

I would soak them ahead of time and keep them in a ziplock bag.

I can't tell if I'm being lazy yet. I think I was kind of a clutch abuser before but never with a bike with as much power as this one.
Unread
  (#5)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 10, 2013, 08:01 AM

Doesn't the EXP core have a dyna-ring in it? If so, then that's the weak link.

The first trip to Hatfield I had a dyna-ring in my wr450 that Kayus was riding. He crushed the fibers on the dyna-ring itself. Of course I think he was riding around in 5th gear almost all of the time. So that might have something to do with it. The inability to just change out clutch fibers and keep going is why I don't like that design.

As for the Rekluse Pro - it uses the ball bearings / pressure plate / stock fibers. I've never burned one out despite lugging the crap out of it. I have changed out fibers as a preventative bit of maintenance. You should keep a few fibers around in case you burn the ones closest to the end of the pack. But as long as you are regular with maintenance you should be fine.

Just as an aside, add a fan to your radiator. The Rekluse puts more heat into the engine in my experience. This will offset it and keep ou chugging along happily.

Mud

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

October 10, 2013, 09:02 AM

Cooling fan, huh? Hmm...

Yep, the EXP (just plain EXP, not the Core EXP) is like the Dynaring. I sent an email to Rekluse asking what the replacements would cost for the outer friction parts, just to have some spares. Probably more than I want to spend but we'll see.
Unread
  (#7)

October 10, 2013, 11:40 AM

I think the idea is that you send it in, they send you a refurb. Under typical wear it shoudn't be too bad. Like a clutch fiber. But for races, enduros, etc....you will have more wear. That's why I went with the Pro version for competition. Stock fibers for wear items.

I do have to say that their support is excellent. I called looking for the o-ring anti-squeal inserts. They sent me a whole kit for free and fast. Yeah, I will have no issue buying from them again.

Mud

Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 10, 2013, 12:52 PM

It's $138 to replace the "bases" (the outer parts that are like friction plates). I'll probably buy a set of those down the road after I actually put some hours on it. There is only one type of Rekluse available for an old bike like mine and competitors don't seem to be making anything for it at all any more.
Unread
  (#9)

October 10, 2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
It's $138 to replace the "bases" (the outer parts that are like friction plates). I'll probably buy a set of those down the road after I actually put some hours on it. There is only one type of Rekluse available for an old bike like mine and competitors don't seem to be making anything for it at all any more.

Sounds like it's time to go orange!!

Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

October 10, 2013, 01:14 PM

Heh, if I switch bikes any time soon it would be for something easier to ride, not because of parts availability. I'd be just as likely to go red as to go orange (really liked James' crf250x although a ktm 200 would be tempting too). That said, the kx is working out pretty good for regular riding and I'm sure I'll do better with it as time passes and I stop treating it like it was a klx.