DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 553
0 members and 553 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
On Road to Off Road Trails in Loudoun Area?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

On Road to Off Road Trails in Loudoun Area? - July 20, 2015, 02:44 PM

So was wondering if there were any beginner level trails close to the Loudoun Area. Im in South Riding.

I have a Wr450 SM that im looking to start doing some off road trails with, nothing to complicated cuz im a newb. The GF will be picking up a DR200 soon as her first bike, and it would probably be good to get her out on some easy trails as well.

Any suggestions? And how illegal/legal are these places?

EDIT - looking for something we could both ride to on the bikes themselves.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 20, 2015, 04:29 PM

Absolutely no legal off road places in Loudoun. Bunch of illegal places to go though. Or go to Taskers Gap down 81. About 100 miles away. Very rocky. Tough on 17's but doable.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

July 20, 2015, 05:33 PM

I really want to get a little more experience under my belt before i head out to taskers. All those rocks scare the sh!t out of me, and def will do the same to the gf too.
Unread
  (#4)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

July 20, 2015, 08:03 PM

Wicomico is your best bet for easy riding. Tomahawk is ok as well, but can be a bit more aggressive with other riders.

Just my $0.02.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 21, 2015, 09:15 AM

Are you looking for trails or just un-paved roads for now? In the area there is a fair amount of unpaved roads which vary from high traction well worn in gravel/dirt to more newly graveled stuff which feels a bit like riding on marbles at first. Dirt is arguably more fun and easier on tires. It would at least give you both the opportunity to get used to feeling the bikes move around under you on loose surfaces a bit. I think there may even be a stream crossing or two in the area if memory serves.

Taskers pretty much sucks for those new to being off-pavement. There are several here on this site that have left Taskers with broken bones and/or broken bikes. Rocks have a knack for finding vulnerable spots. Wicomico might be a good choice for getting a feel for the bikes and will be more enjoyable, then throw the bikes in the truck and head west for a weekend. Enjoy the mountain views while off pavement on two wheels.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

July 21, 2015, 12:39 PM

Lower fire road at taskers would be a good out and back. It is pretty smooth. Also the first mile or two of the Peters mill trail (leaving from the firetower) side is pretty friendlyfriendly.

Last edited by drt_Jumper; July 21, 2015 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Can't fucking spell with fat thumbs.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

July 21, 2015, 01:17 PM

Honestly, just looking for something unpaved/dirt. Something we can get to on the bikes themselves. If you have anything in specific let me know, so I can check it out.

Wicomico and Taskers are def on the list, just waiting for time to be able to get out there for a whole day.

Adam, whens the next time youre going out? The 450 needs to get dirty.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 21, 2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkhas View Post
Honestly, just looking for something unpaved/dirt. Something we can get to on the bikes themselves. If you have anything in specific let me know, so I can check it out.
Checkout NOVA Weekend Rides | Adventure Rider for ride ideas, route numbers ect. Lots of posts to weed through but I'm pretty sure just about every interesting off-pavement road in and around NOVA is mentioned in there somewhere.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#9)
Playing in the dirt

July 21, 2015, 01:59 PM

Nothing close to SR, short of running past Ticonderoga over and over.

Taskers makes new riders quit riding

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

July 21, 2015, 02:04 PM

Probably in two weeks when I get back from raping the trees and sand in Florida with Stillie!

Also just go ride any construction site near you. All they will do is ask you to leave if the cops show up.
Unread
  (#11)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

July 21, 2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
Probably in two weeks when I get back from raping the trees and Stillie in Florida sand! He likes the sand with his GoJo lube.

Fixerated it for ya!

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

July 21, 2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Checkout NOVA Weekend Rides | Adventure Rider for ride ideas, route numbers ect. Lots of posts to weed through but I'm pretty sure just about every interesting off-pavement road in and around NOVA is mentioned in there somewhere.

This thread is gold!

Thats pretty much what Ive been doing, just finding random construction sites and messing around. The gf on the other hand is a goodie two shoes, and is scared of the popo.

Hopefully ill be able to join in a few weeks Adam! Have fun in FL
Unread
  (#13)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 21, 2015, 07:05 PM

Be careful doing the construction site thing. I have had people try to run me over for riding in them. They can and will get very angry and try to kill you. It ain't worth it. Also you could try the Cove out in Gore, Va. They have a kiddie loop and the some harder stuff down to don't try it till you got some rides under your belt.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#14)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

July 27, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Be careful doing the construction site thing. I have had people try to run me over for riding in them. They can and will get very angry and try to kill you. It ain't worth it. Also you could try the Cove out in Gore, Va. They have a kiddie loop and the some harder stuff down to don't try it till you got some rides under your belt.

So I just did the cove today for the first time. I dont think its worth going all the way out there to hit up the beginner loop for 2 reasons. 1) its reallly short. 2) there are parts of the trail that mix with the "blue" trail, which is their intermediate trail. In fact, they are so close together, the first half the day i was riding the blue trail thinking it was the green trail. In the description, it said the green trail is "easy" for sportbikes, I was like got danggg, if this is hte green trail, then i dont even want to know what the next lvls are like. Turned out i was on the blue trail the whole time .

Im thinking about going back again to do the orange trail. I think that would be a good medium because the blue trail wore me out too much. Anyone know how taskers compares to the blue trail at the cove in terms of difficulty? Theres also rock run atv trail near harrisonburg which rider usa planet says is mostly novice and is free.
Unread
  (#15)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

July 27, 2015, 07:11 AM

Also, is the suspension setup from the factory dialed in to handle various trail types or do you have to setup everytime depending on what kind of trail u ride (e.g. rocks versus dirt)