DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 567
1 members and 566 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Single Cylinder Carb Source help....
Unread
  (#1)
Republicans for Voldemort

Single Cylinder Carb Source help.... - July 28, 2010, 07:27 PM

Ok.... not exactly SM related - but as most SM's are singles (except maybe for the Aprillia SVX - but it doesn't count - it's more sportsbike if you have a 2008 or later - otherwise it's a grenade) .

Anyhooooo... I just picked up a mid 80's Yamaha 600 single cyclinder that's been sitting for awhile.. The thing is... it's got carbs... Yep single cyclinder - but with a dual carb set up... WTF...

Yes, I checked the internet - but just about every site has a different idea - some say to replace it with a single carb from a Dr650 or Grizzly... Other talk full Keihn CR replacement (expensive - over $500) but the sizes range from 33, 35, 39mm.. Some suggest using 1/2 bank of ninja 250 carbs.. I am prepared to get different carbs - but don't know which way to go, and want to speak to someone who knows carbs, and can provide options.. Oh.. .and yeah.. the bike is kick start only.. So while I can pay to replace the carbs - I don't want to make it a bear to start either..

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#2)
Has an idiot exemption

July 28, 2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider View Post
Ok.... not exactly SM related - but as most SM's are singles (except maybe for the Aprillia SVX - but it doesn't count - it's more sportsbike if you have a 2008 or later - otherwise it's a grenade) .

Anyhooooo... I just picked up a mid 80's Yamaha 600 single cyclinder that's been sitting for awhile.. The thing is... it's got carbs... Yep single cyclinder - but with a dual carb set up... WTF...

Yes, I checked the internet - but just about every site has a different idea - some say to replace it with a single carb from a Dr650 or Grizzly... Other talk full Keihn CR replacement (expensive - over $500) but the sizes range from 33, 35, 39mm.. Some suggest using 1/2 bank of ninja 250 carbs.. I am prepared to get different carbs - but don't know which way to go, and want to speak to someone who knows carbs, and can provide options.. Oh.. .and yeah.. the bike is kick start only.. So while I can pay to replace the carbs - I don't want to make it a bear to start either..
What do you want to do with it?

I can offer better ideas if I know the type of riding you plan on doing.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)

July 28, 2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9 View Post
What do you want to do with it?

I can offer better ideas if I know the type of riding you plan on doing.
doh... uh street riding... this is what I just picked up on impulse for a lot less than a running one.. PO was decent guy - it's just been sitting for awhile...

it's a released to one year only in the US 1986 Yamaha SRX-6

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

July 28, 2010, 07:49 PM

Why not just clean the factory carbs? They will provide easy starting and smooth running.
Unread
  (#5)
Has an idiot exemption

July 28, 2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
Why not just clean the factory carbs? They will provide easy starting and smooth running.
I agree.

It has 2 carbs for a reason.

A big cylinder like that need a big carb.
But big carbs offer too much fuel and not enough venturi velocity and small throttle openings.

The dual carb set-up is a good compromise.

I had a friend race one of those back in 1987.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#6)
This Ain't My First Time!

July 28, 2010, 08:08 PM

The dual carbs are there for an engineering reason. I say clean them and get them working the way the engineers designed them to work. You should avoid a lot of trouble doing it that way. I know some bikes had two carbs because one carb did the low speed air fuel mixture and the second card handled the high speed air fuel mixture. Both of these combined gives the overall AF mixture for high speeds..

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Playing in the dirt

July 28, 2010, 09:40 PM

I'd just clean the stock carbs, fabricating a intake for a single would be some work to make better than the factory setup. not to mention you would possibly loose throttle response & low end depending on the size od the single you swapped over.

If you insist on a single you want a fcr, minium 41mm perferably one bored to 43-44mm

KTMs and Yamahas

Last edited by jar944; July 28, 2010 at 09:45 PM..
Unread
  (#8)

July 29, 2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
doh... uh street riding... this is what I just picked up on impulse for a lot less than a running one.. PO was decent guy - it's just been sitting for awhile...

it's a released to one year only in the US 1986 Yamaha SRX-6

Did you pick this up from a guy named Colby behind arlington Drafthouse and Cinema? If so I took a look at it and really wanted to buy it; but at the time I already had three bikes and purchasing a fourth had the potential to render me single. I posted an add for it on here in hopes somebody from .net would pick it up.

I did some extensive searching at the time and found that the best route to take is the full keihin setup. I know it is a bit $$$ but its the best way to get good power out of that engine. If you don't want to hand over the $$$ just yet, then clean the stock carbs and ride it till you can.

Glad to see someone from here picked it up
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to tweakland  
Unread
  (#9)
Playing in the dirt

July 29, 2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakland View Post
the best route to take is the full keihin setup. I know it is a bit $$$ but its the best way to get good power out of that engine.
I've been picking them (FCR) up for under $200, ebay has lots

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#10)
Pleased to meet me

July 29, 2010, 11:37 AM

Carbs are not expensive if you value your time. They do provide a great weight loss program when you are in the garage for hours and you sweat until you have rust marks on your bike.

Clean what ya got.

Watch made in china knock offs on eBay. I got a replacement carb for my CT70 a few years ago. May or may not be the real thing.

Unread
  (#11)

July 29, 2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakland View Post
Did you pick this up from a guy named Colby behind arlington Drafthouse and Cinema? If so I took a look at it and really wanted to buy it; but at the time I already had three bikes and purchasing a fourth had the potential to render me single. I posted an add for it on here in hopes somebody from .net would pick it up.

I did some extensive searching at the time and found that the best route to take is the full keihin setup. I know it is a bit $$$ but its the best way to get good power out of that engine. If you don't want to hand over the $$$ just yet, then clean the stock carbs and ride it till you can.

Glad to see someone from here picked it up
LOL.. Yep.. it's Colby's bike..

He told me several folks came by and wanted to buy it, but he ran into a snag when he realized he misplaced the title and had to order a new one... On the phone, we talked bikes - he originally wanted a hawk gt when he got it - which we talked about (see screenname, I had one), and I talked about owning several sr500's which was the 500cc kick start single percursor to the SRX... I am usually somewhat hesitant about buying non running bikes from folks - but he was a righteous guy and his explanation made sense - MX rider who broke a leg and couldn't kickstart the SRX for sometime - and didn't get back to it and time got away as he sort of gave up riding alltogether.

It was like a week to a week and half after the phone convo, that I picked it up on Saturday AM which was only a day or two after he got the replacement title.. He even said others were interested - but after talking to me it was mine .. well as long as I showed up at at the agreed time (which I did).. I remember the phone convo clearly - but I don't remember allot of the convo when I picked up the bike - I was kind of focused on it.. I think he had someone local ready to come by and pick it up the same day I did - if I didn't show... Part of the deal is that I need to send him pics when I get it back on the road..

Now that I have bored everyone completely to death... I am ok with cleaning the carbs and trying it out... This is what I call Plan A... However, the bike's been sitting a while - the carbs need cleaning and I'll be the gaskets are dry rotted - I am looking at a kit to fix.. However, if the carb is junk - I don't want to go thru allot of effort to rebuild em.. I know the hot setup is a set to Keihin setup ... They are offered thru Thumper Stuff - SRX Parts and Prices - but those are the 33 and 35 mm ... However, if you check out dynoman Keihin FCR Racing CArburetors at Dynoman Performance they have the 35 and 39.. and if you check out motorcyclecarbs.com they have a 37mm
CARBURETOR KIT: YAMAHA SRX600 DUAL CR37
which is apparently similiar or the same as a half a bank of ninja 250 carbs, and if you check out a another owner ala SRX Homepage he talks about a DR650/Grizzly carb - but with modifications ...

This is why I want to talk to a carb guy to get some ideas... I am not saying the OEM carb is junk - but most of the sources tell I read talk about getting rid of em as they can be problematic overall.. As far as the OEM goes - each side is different - I guess one side/carb for slow speed and another is for top end or something... Most folks talk about replacements for a bit better breathing and performance.. Which I would like - but I don't want to go too hot where it's a bear to start either... Better than OEM (which we all know jap stuff is waaaay too lean to pass USA emissions standard), but is still easy to start is my goal...

I have had a lot of bikes over the years, some I have regretted selling - but I always had my reasons.. It's too nice ride and risk a wreck, I REAALLLY want some "other" bike - etc... The SRX is a bike I have always wanted, but never wanted to pay the $$ for one, as I'd be back in the I don't want to mess it up range... This bike will never be my main/primary ride - but I want to make it that cool 2ndary - blast around town bike... I am prepared to pay $500 bucks for a good carb if need be - but I want to get something that doesn't require superman to kickstart either..

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Last edited by hondahawkrider; July 29, 2010 at 06:58 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Playing in the dirt

July 30, 2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
This is what I call Plan A... However, the bike's been sitting a while - the carbs need cleaning and I'll be the gaskets are dry rotted - I am looking at a kit to fix.. However, if the carb is junk - I don't want to go thru allot of effort to rebuild em.. I know the hot setup is a set to Keihin setup ... They are offered thru Thumper Stuff - SRX Parts and Prices - but those are the 33 and 35 mm ... However, if you check out dynoman Keihin FCR Racing CArburetors at Dynoman Performance they have the 35 and 39.. and if you check out motorcyclecarbs.com they have a 37mm
CARBURETOR KIT: YAMAHA SRX600 DUAL CR37
which is apparently similiar or the same as a half a bank of ninja 250 carbs, and if you check out a another owner ala SRX Homepage he talks about a DR650/Grizzly carb - but with modifications ...

This is why I want to talk to a carb guy to get some ideas... I am not saying the OEM carb is junk - but most of the sources tell I read talk about getting rid of em as they can be problematic overall.. As far as the OEM goes - each side is different - I guess one side/carb for slow speed and another is for top end or something... Most folks talk about replacements for a bit better breathing and performance.. Which I would like - but I don't want to go too hot where it's a bear to start either... Better than OEM (which we all know jap stuff is waaaay too lean to pass USA emissions standard), but is still easy to start is my goal...
I assume the right (throttle) side carb is a CV vacuum type with the left being a standard slide carb (just like the TT350 I used to own) not the best performance wise but acceptable.

In addition to researching the SRX swaps I would start looking at swaps for the tt600 and grizzly. since it appears that the TT600 shares a lot with the SRX and the grizzly has the same manifold bolt spacing (and likely is based off the same design).

Currently the highest performing carb is the Keihn FCR, it is the most commonly swapped carb for any single that didnt come from the factory with one, like the drz400, dr650 & others.

KTMs and Yamahas