DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
1 members and 522 guests
GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Some tips from Oolf
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

Thumbs up Some tips from Oolf - December 18, 2007, 05:44 PM

I was bummed out that I missed his school but if he hosts another school I'll post up.

Some tips from him...

Chatter is often a tire problem too, much more often than suspension! During my classes in the states I think I had to tell pretty much every rider to go up in tire pressure. You guys use too low tire pressures! (street tires should be around 29psi and race tires around 24psi)

About chopping the throttle, on a real race bike we have a very stiff chassie and the better setup the less important it is to watch how fast you shut off. It should never be like a light switch but it should take more than half a second either! Set the bike with little static sag and it will help in this manner.

I think the best way as a beginner is to allways brake in a straight line, as you steer the bike, open the throttle smooth, just enough to accelerate. Let the clutch out before you steer the bike. Using a slipper clutch will make this much easier. This will help you focus on one thing at a time and this is how pro's ride some corners too

When I teach someone about throttle control I take them out on a field of either grass or gravel. The best is if you've got a hill to practice on. Try at first to go up towards the hill and steer around a marker 180 degrees. If the front end lets go, try doing it again but open the throttle earlier. When you feel like you get the hang of it, do the same drill but down the hill instead. PS, dont put your foot down, its gonna suck to do it on the asphalt later on

*Edit, heres a great way to practice throttle control (this bike has stock throttle cam and on top of that it's rushing on throttle because of incorrect mapping):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4t1xW6i2Xs

Another very good reason to practice throttle control is that the best place to powerslide the bike is right after you steered it. Doing this will let you open the throttle harder during the exit of the corner. This is a very usefull skill in double apex turns, making it possible to enter with even more speed and exit with better acceleration! It is a advanced technique tho, nothing to do as a amature racer

*Edit, heres a vid with some mid corner power slides. As seen, they are very small, but they point the bike back on the line again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSkAvgcgwBQ

I'm not saying that you are wrong in anything you say, I'm just filling in

//Olof Eriksson
Swedish Championship for Aprilia, Bridgestone and Alice racing

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to