DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
3 members and 526 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929, davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Supermoto...does the future hold 2?
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

Supermoto...does the future hold 2? - November 26, 2007, 08:18 AM

Seems like more and more companies are venturing from the single cylinder motors to V-twins.

For instance Ducati's hypermotard (hyper because it's not actually a supermoto) and now KTM's 990 which is more of a supermoto than the hyper and far more powerful.

http://www.crash.net/motoring/roadbi..._updated_.html

So what do you all think? Is the world of supermoto going to be v-twins? Do you think AMA or the other orgs who race supermoto going to add in a v-twin class?

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Pleased to meet me

November 26, 2007, 08:54 AM

I think there will be both. The V config allows the bike to remain thin and ya gotta love the torque. The single is simple, light and it just belongs. In the grand scheme of things, I believe we will see more SM type bikes on the road. Most are probably tired of hearing it but they are just too functional and fun. Add a nice price point and it just makes sense.

Riding my ghettofighter (ratty gsxr600) in traffic last week reinforced the benefits of bike that have an upright seating position, wide bars and such. I laugh at the “Should I buy that abc1000 as my first bike” threads but then again I’m an ahole.

I’ve been staring at this for the past 10 minutes.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

November 26, 2007, 09:03 AM

They are already allowed to run in the AMA. The Aprilia is a v-twin.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#4)
Republicans for Voldemort

November 26, 2007, 09:29 AM

Some purists don't like the vtwins. Also, many other manufacturers have allot of $$ wrapped up in MX bike development and use/convert those bikes to SM and aren't looking to develop a totally different SM bike..

For a true SM race bike - personally you want a single - as it's light and super narrow.. However, not that many folks like SMs as their only bike - while great twisty road bikes - singles aren't the choice for longer distance rides... Thus, in order to get more on their street bikes - some bigger model do get produced in an attempt to make SM's more of a "do it all" bike...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#5)
( * )|( * )

November 26, 2007, 09:35 AM

Good point on the Aprillia...hum...wonder if they have some restrictions on it?
As far as SM as an only bike...it does have times where the SM just isn't fun...for instance long distance rides. The SM is great when you're working it in some turns but once you're riding straight roads the bike is the complete opposite.

You can find them cheap so it's a great addition to the garage. I think you can pick up a DRZ for around 3k with around 6k miles...if not cheaper! They are fun, reliable, and very capable as well...it's a bike that isn't fast but can do anything. If I had to do it all over again I would have gotten a husky though. The DRZ needs an extra 10hp to the wheels to become that perfect bike IMO.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#6)
got barrier?

November 26, 2007, 10:51 AM

I could see AMA imposing a size restriction against the V-twins possibly. Letting them run with singles (such as the Aprillia) until the v-twin market gets larger/more bikes ect. if it got to the point were there is enough V-twin supers i could see a new class. but not for several years

DUCATI MONSTER
rubber ducky?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dubplaya  
Unread
  (#7)
Firebreathing VTwin

November 26, 2007, 02:58 PM

watching the first last and only SM race I've ever seen on tv a few weeks ago I vaugely remember them mention something about a weight penalty imposed on the Aprillia. I forgot how much they added but they did it to make up for the extra cyl.

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

November 26, 2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieder
watching the first last and only SM race I've ever seen on tv a few weeks ago I vaugely remember them mention something about a weight penalty imposed on the Aprillia. I forgot how much they added but they did it to make up for the extra cyl.
yes they did mention that but they didn't elaborate. probably similar to what they used to do to twins in superbike.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#9)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

November 26, 2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness
<snip>
I’ve been staring at this for the past 10 minutes.
<snip>
That's probably going to be my next touring bike unles Honda or Yamaha step up to the plate. The singles might be OK for pure holiganism but for and type of distance I'll take a twin.

-Hugh

“I’ll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.”
http://www.twowheelsgood.net
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

November 26, 2007, 10:36 PM

I think the v-twin trend is just a function of supermotos becoming more popular and specialized. Kind of like how there are different sportbikes for different purposes. You have high speed tourers like the Busa and ZX-14, liter sport bikes, 600's, sport tourers, etc.

With supermotos there's the purist dirtbike with 17's and big brakes, and now there's the street supermoto that is a bit bigger, heavier, and more powerful for someone who wants to ride the bike daily and maybe wants to ride longer distances.
Unread
  (#11)
Republicans for Voldemort

November 27, 2007, 12:30 AM

Couple of things come to mind....

The first is the svx 550 gets a bad wrap.. It's basically a race bike - similiar to the Husky510 and KTM SMR series.. The sxv450 is supposed to be more reliable and better over all bike. However, allot of folks get caught up in the "more cc's are better" and don't buy the right bike.

KTM I think has the right idea for the future. Yes, I am a KTM whore, but I think having one platform - ie the 690 - and creating a street friendly Sm690 (it's not touring bike, but will not be much different than any other naked bike), PLUS a more race orientated SMC690 is a smart move.. The SMC will be leaner and meaner, yes it will be slightly more maintenance intensive, but it will be in a higher state of tune... The REALLY cool thing is that you are supposed to be really able tweak it out to rip if you want - rumor is to levels far beyond current SMR stats.... Thus, you should be able to select what hp or maintenance level you want to have, and there should be a readily supply of differnt parts available as it's all for one motor/platform...

I think a SM is a perfect 2nd bike - I found I couldn't deal as well as I would have liked without a long distance bike... I kept the KTM625 tard and sold the DRz to fund my bigger bike purchase.. This was probably a mistake in hindsight.. I parted with it because the KTM had a bit more punch and was more fun on the tight tracks wheras the Drz was just a tad too underpowered and you would get eaten/passed by everything (not so with the KTM). However, NASMOTO is supposedly going to be running a drz400sm series at Beaver, E-Town, Budd Creek - etc... So you would be racing against other drz (pipe jet carb, suspension only, no overbores or serious engine tweaks), ie a more even playing field. Supposedly, a 250 class is also in the works - which means the new yamaha 250x might have a class to itself like the drz.

I hope this kind of SM racing will be like the showroom stock class at allot of tracks... It's far cheaper - as you can't do too many mods and the initial cost is cheaper than a fully prepped race vehicle. Thus making a SM Twisty street legal bike a decent choice as it can reasonably serve as a (cheaper) track tool - without always having to work on em... Thus, encourages more folks to get SM bikes... They are truly the most fun I have had when riding...

That is all.....

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!

Last edited by hondahawkrider; November 27, 2007 at 12:35 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider