DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 557
0 members and 557 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Supermotoz/Offroad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Touring Tard/Adv Project for Winter..
Unread
  (#1)
Republicans for Voldemort

Touring Tard/Adv Project for Winter.. - September 30, 2007, 01:34 PM

I wanted to find something to work on this winter to create and xcross between a SM and ADV bike... Something that with a quick change of rims - would allow me to do distance in either dirt/aspault, and could depending upon the rubber choice on the rims - I could do both..

There are a number of bikes that I could probably buy that wouldn't require TOO much work.... However, like many of us - I don't have $$ growing on trees, and I don't want to sell anything else (my dr350 was sold as with a ADV dirt bike - I wouldn't need it)..

I jsut got this from a friend of a friend - he and I have been on a motorcycle listserv for years - and is a friend to my friends... He is the original owner - it's got less than 6k miles and runs strong - the major detractor is that it spent all of it's life outside so comsmetically - it's rough.... Which for my purposes is great because to suit my needs I was going to mod it (rhino liner the plastic parts, add luggage bracket -etc...

The funny thing is that it's supposedly 1 of 50-60 low pipe KTM EGS-E Adventures ever brought into the US... I was going to bend em up ala a dakar style - but we shall se..

The cool thing is that it uses the same size rims as my KTM SXC motard... So i am going to swap the rim/tires for that set.. I will use the Orig hubs with new SM rims

I have to clean up an number of rusty bolts and pull what plastic I will still use, but this should be a fun project for the winter..

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

October 1, 2007, 11:40 AM

Very nice. Post some updates as you do it. You're gonna have to take it somewhere cool after you're done, too!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Largely Unsupervised....

October 1, 2007, 12:29 PM

Nice project. Keep us posted!

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#4)

October 1, 2007, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the comments... I will keep everyone updated, the plan is to take allot of pics and document the rebuild... More so, because it's far easier to show a picture than describe a issue/problem..

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#5)
Pleased to meet me

October 1, 2007, 01:13 PM

This I gotta see. Post up stuff.
exhaust question
Unread
  (#6)

exhaust question - October 1, 2007, 02:49 PM

looks like I can't do a easy swap from my SXc - the rear subframe is different on the 620Adv... So, I need to do something with the current pipes.... I want to get the headers jet hot coated silver... but I would like to do something with the low pipes ... As they are sort of rare - I would like to mount up some other style of slips on and use a mid pipe to raise the angle up slightly - like this...

I am sure I can get someone to bend me a pipe upwards.. However, as that the EGS dual pipe model wasn't out long - there isn't allot of after market stuff available... Does anyone know how specific slips are to each bike ... It would be easy enough to get my hands some exhaust of other displacement KTM - anyone know if that would work? or if I would have to use dual exhaust from a SMC or Duke LC4..... Also, if anyone knows of a set of 690SM stock pipes - I would be interested...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Unread
  (#7)
Pleased to meet me

October 1, 2007, 02:53 PM

Those low pipes look like supertrapps.
Unread
  (#8)
subUrban Warrior

October 1, 2007, 03:10 PM

ADVrider
Orange Crush (KTM) section & Flea Market

Touratech
all the Adv parts you could ever need

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar

Last edited by Newzpix; October 1, 2007 at 03:13 PM..
Unread
  (#9)

October 1, 2007, 07:32 PM

allready have both links newzpix - thanks tho...

The main prob is that the low pipes model (yes those are supertrapps - OEM pipes on the early KTM Adv's were supertrapps - just like the plastic is acerbis)....

already started work on the bike - pulled the bags

and here is the dash with rusty mirror (only one)

As MD requires two mirrors - I checked my part bin and I had tons of hand guard bolts and a pair of faux carbon fiber hand guards and DRz400sm/Vstrom mirrors - all of which are now on the bike

I will probably pull the bars in the future to clean it up more - but the 1st step is get it inspected and on the road.... So I can ride it to the deal/friends places to get some misc work done

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Unread
  (#10)

October 22, 2007, 10:06 PM

it's nekkid...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider