DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 533
2 members and 531 guests
Heist, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Cruisers & Choppers

LinkBack Thread Tools
chopper frames
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

chopper frames - March 13, 2008, 09:30 PM

i have been thinking about building a chopper for a while now and now that i am broke i think i am finally going to do it. i am going to fabricate as much as i can for this bike however i am going to need what i consider the two most important parts, the frame and the motor. i know i don't want to use a harley motor cause they tend to overheat in traffic around here so i was thinking about maybe a 1700cc Suzuki motor out of a boulivard like the M109R.

now for the real question, where the hell do i pick up a frame?!?! i want to be able to fit a 300 in the rear and i am thinking this is going to be an expensive part. does anyone have any idea where i can get a frame for cheap? i will post pics as soon as i have them!

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#2)
Meh

March 14, 2008, 12:50 AM

kansas kustoms with fabricate whatever you need up and hang the appropriate mounts on it for whatever engine you want to run. Their frames start at about 800.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

March 14, 2008, 03:28 PM

thanks i will look them up!

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#4)
I wanna ride my moorsicle

March 14, 2008, 04:19 PM

what style chop you gonna do? You gonna make one of the actual rideable ones, (Indian Larry style) or a low, stretched out look (OCC/ Bily Lane and the like)

BTW, I'm jealous as hell of you right now... building a chopper is one of my long term goals, and as of now I don't have the space, time, or cash. This is my shit right here.. ok, not a full chop, but I love the stylin of dem: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...=11112&page=19
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Prizontatt  
Unread
  (#5)
You meet the nicest

March 14, 2008, 06:14 PM

Redneck Engineering did my bud's RC51 frame.

RC51 Chopper Project

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

March 14, 2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKDBLD
Redneck Engineering did my bud's RC51 frame.

RC51 Chopper Project
i remember that project, do you have any idea how much they charged for the frame? also did he have to have the motor picked out and there when they manufactured the frame?

Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

March 14, 2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizontatt
what style chop you gonna do? You gonna make one of the actual rideable ones, (Indian Larry style) or a low, stretched out look (OCC/ Bily Lane and the like)

BTW, I'm jealous as hell of you right now... building a chopper is one of my long term goals, and as of now I don't have the space, time, or cash. This is my shit right here.. ok, not a full chop, but I love the stylin of dem: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...=11112&page=19
it is gonna be rideable one but it is gonna be kinda low but with an upright setup kinda like a harley, that way the ride is more comfortable and long distance. i am not going to make it too long but i have to figure out where to pickup the engine cause i can't seem to find the engine number on the suzuki boulevard M109R.

Unread
  (#8)
Pleased to meet me

March 15, 2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6speed
i have been thinking about building a chopper for a while now and now that i am broke i think i am finally going to do it. i am going to fabricate as much as i can for this bike however i am going to need what i consider the two most important parts, the frame and the motor. i know i don't want to use a harley motor cause they tend to overheat in traffic around here so i was thinking about maybe a 1700cc Suzuki motor out of a boulivard like the M109R.

now for the real question, where the hell do i pick up a frame?!?! i want to be able to fit a 300 in the rear and i am thinking this is going to be an expensive part. does anyone have any idea where i can get a frame for cheap? i will post pics as soon as i have them!
A few observations and advice.

If you build a bike with a 300 rear tire you immediately lose Ĺ your penis size. Said another way, a big tire will not make you bigger. If you are broke, you may be starting your wide-tire jap project out on the wrong foot.

Advice (if youíve read past the penis comment):

Start simple. Think about the xs650, cb750, or sporty platform. Thereís great support for them and you will significantly reduce fabrication time. A carbed and air cooled bike is the best way to go. When people ask me about doing a bike project I usually point them towards acquiring one of the many abandoned bike projects out there. Most of my friends started with a bike that was 75% there and did a ground up project after completing lost projects.

I know this one idiot on DCSB that got a chopper, changed a few things, rode it like a sportbike and totaled it. The good new is that he was forced to build one from the ground up.

A few other things to consider. Do you know how to weld? Do you have tools, a compressor, and such? Do you like standing in line at the DMV and dealing with the special construction process? I hear itís really fun. At the end of the day, you can do it but you better have the skills and/or tons of desire.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

March 15, 2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness
A few observations and advice.

If you build a bike with a 300 rear tire you immediately lose Ĺ your penis size. Said another way, a big tire will not make you bigger. If you are broke, you may be starting your wide-tire jap project out on the wrong foot.

Advice (if youíve read past the penis comment):

Start simple. Think about the xs650, cb750, or sporty platform. Thereís great support for them and you will significantly reduce fabrication time. A carbed and air cooled bike is the best way to go. When people ask me about doing a bike project I usually point them towards acquiring one of the many abandoned bike projects out there. Most of my friends started with a bike that was 75% there and did a ground up project after completing lost projects.

I know this one idiot on DCSB that got a chopper, changed a few things, rode it like a sportbike and totaled it. The good new is that he was forced to build one from the ground up.

A few other things to consider. Do you know how to weld? Do you have tools, a compressor, and such? Do you like standing in line at the DMV and dealing with the special construction process? I hear itís really fun. At the end of the day, you can do it but you better have the skills and/or tons of desire.
i like the look of the 300/250 tire, as for penis size, i could stand to loose a few inches.(my wife and every other woman i have been with has said i am too big) i don't have tools but i have friends that i can borrow a welder and a compresser from. i plan on using their shop to build my bike cause i am kinda limited at my house. the reason i want the M109R engine is that it is strong and fast enough to handle the way i want to ride. i have ridden harleys and i don't like them cause they are way too slow!

Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

March 15, 2008, 08:50 AM

ok i think i have picked out the frame, but i am having trouble locating an engine, does anyone know of a place i can go and find used motorcycle engines?

Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

March 20, 2008, 08:33 PM

here is the frame i want, it is a 250 softail for about $750

and here is the engine i would like, how ever it is really pricy so i am going to get as close as i can cause this engine is about 5k. just a little more than i want to spend!

so all in all right now i am doing my research into everything i am going to need to make this bike, i know i am going to need to weld and cut but i still need to figure out what other parts i want. i still don't know what i want for the front forks and i have no idea what i want to do for handle bars. i do know that they make kits where you can get a rolling chassis but that kinda seems like cheating.

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

March 20, 2008, 10:05 PM

does anyone know where i can find used HD engines or anything like that? all i keep getting is crap that is custom built and expensive as hell!

Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

March 21, 2008, 05:30 PM

a little help please!

Unread
  (#14)
Pleased to meet me

March 22, 2008, 07:51 AM

$750 for a slusshhhy tail frame? Make sure it's not stamped in china? Again, if you go cheap on the frame, you will have more problems.
I know several people that have gone this route with great results:
http://www.flyritechoppers.com/Pg/FRCFrameChassis.html

I spent twice as much for my frame but you get what you pay for. I've built two using Atlas. The motor went in easy. No spacers, no alignment issues and other shit.

They have some frames on sale now: http://www.atlasprecision.com/item.asp?ItemID=168&Category=&Placeholder=0
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

March 23, 2008, 05:03 PM

that is a nice frame! i think that the price was dropped cause people are taking a hit right now and aren't buying as many bikes as they used to. anyways i am looking for a evo motor because i can't seem to find an M109R so i am thinking i am going to have to go with a 103 ci and do some work to make it a little faster.... i am still making decisions and once i have a major idea i am going to start purchasing!