DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 582
6 members and 576 guests
amit, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, nootherids, Sal_the_man, Toecutter, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > BMW

LinkBack Thread Tools
BMW F800GS, any owners of opinions?
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

BMW F800GS, any owners of opinions? - September 26, 2009, 07:37 PM

Does anybody here have one and if so what are your opinions? I'm tossing around a few ideas for bikes including a plated Yamaha WR450F supermoto, KTM 690SMC and the BMW F800GS, basically supermoto or dualsports in the $10,000 range. I know that I went every which direction in that list but I'm just tossing around ideas and though I'd get a few opinions.

Charlie
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

September 26, 2009, 07:54 PM

I have an 08 KTM Duke, 2000 Duke II and put 12,000 miles on a 07 KTM SM. What kind of riding do you plan on doing? You picked three different bikes for 3 different riding styles. The yamaha and ktm are close but the yami would be a more raw sm that would suck on any highways. BMW is more of the sport tourer of the three. better for really long rides and highways. The SMC kinda falls right inbetween both. A very good bike for the twisties and can handle some highways. You can do some sumo races with it. I would go with the SMC but I am a KTM lover. Hey I know of a place that has on 07 SMR brand new.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

September 27, 2009, 09:43 AM

My father has a F800GS and a F800ST. He loves the GS. He says it has enough power and good enough suspension for twisty roads. It is light enough and with a 21" front wheel works on 2 tracks and is comfortable for all day rides. There is also a bunch of after market stuff available for it. Here are some F800 and KTM threads to review.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415604

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395040

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509808

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137643
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

September 27, 2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
What kind of riding do you plan on doing? You picked three different bikes for 3 different riding styles. The yamaha and ktm are close but the yami would be a more raw sm that would suck on any highways. BMW is more of the sport tourer of the three. better for really long rides and highways. The SMC kinda falls right inbetween both.
I think that I'm leaning to a BMW, I defiantly know what I'd be getting into with a plated WR450F and it would be fun (a lot of fun) but I think over time I'd wish I had gone with something more practical. So it's between the KTM 690SMC and the BMW F800GS. I think I'm leaning more towards the BMW as I think the dual sport, adventure, enduro type bike would open up more doors and be slightly more practical than the KTM for long distance dual sporting. Also for some reason I think that I'd be more inclined to put to hard bags on the BMW and use it for general commuting which would be a plus. But just when I think I have a decision made I keep thinking about the KTM and big wheelies and jumps on the forgotten roads and I smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
My father has a F800GS and a F800ST. He loves the GS. He says it has enough power and good enough suspension for twisty roads. It is light enough and with a 21" front wheel works on 2 tracks and is comfortable for all day rides. There is also a bunch of after market stuff available for it. Here are some F800 and KTM threads to review.
Thanks for that information, I spent the better part of my evening browsing that site. I think I'll be pulling the trigger on a BMW F800GS sometime in the near future.

Charlie
Unread
  (#5)

September 27, 2009, 09:43 PM

Why is the BMW G650GS ruled out? That looks like a fun bike - it is on my list of things to buy.
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

September 27, 2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRider View Post
Why is the BMW G650GS ruled out? That looks like a fun bike - it is on my list of things to buy.
The F800GS has about 14 more HP and 7 more lb/ft of torque out of the same engine as the F650GS. The suspension has proper upside-down forks (for those that come from a MX background) that are 4mm wider and a better rear shock (basically an upgraded suspension that makes it more endro/dual sport capable) with about 2' more suspension travel front and rear. It's also equipped with spoke wheels and tube tires, which are easier to deal with on the road or trail and double disk brakes up front. All this with only 16lbs more weight and about a $2,200 price increase. The F650GS is a great bike but the F800GS is a bit more beefed up and off-road capable. And the fact these bikes are bullet proof and will last for many years to come, it will be my one and only bike so in my opinion it is worth the extra cash for the increased capability, if it all goes according to plan this machine will see a lot of miles, dirt, mud and streams.

Charlie

Last edited by donniecs; September 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

September 28, 2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniecs View Post
The F800GS has about 14 more HP and 7 more lb/ft of torque out of the same engine as the F650GS. <snip>
The previous poster was talking about the 650 single. BMWs moronic naming scheme strikes again.

Ill believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
http://www.twowheelsgood.net
Unread
  (#8)
Knee Draggin!

September 28, 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughtwg View Post
The previous poster was talking about the 650 single. BMWs moronic naming scheme strikes again.
I didn't even notice, G650GS and F650GS. The G650GS is a nice bike but if I'd choose to go the thumper route I think I'd be more inclined to look at the KTM 690SMC. I think the KTM would pack a lot more punch and provide a more exciting ride. When I think BMW, I think more enduro, dual sport touring, with long miles and I think the F800GS would be much better suited for that than the G650GS.

Charlie

Last edited by donniecs; September 29, 2009 at 11:57 AM..
Unread
  (#9)
RIP Jeff Vega

September 29, 2009, 07:15 AM

I'm lurking, liking everyones input so far.

Charlie if you decided to go to Bob's BMW to test ride, shoot me a pm. I would like to go also.
Unread
  (#10)
Knee Draggin!

September 29, 2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
I'm lurking, liking everyones input so far.

Charlie if you decided to go to Bob's BMW to test ride, shoot me a pm. I would like to go also.
Some tough choices that I'm going to soon have to make in my life, pure supermotard excitement or versatility and adventure. I'm down for a trip to Bob's, shoot me a PM and we could figure out a time.

Charlie