DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
2 members and 532 guests
Heist, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > BMW

LinkBack Thread Tools
BMW R 1200 Adventure Motorcycle
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

BMW R 1200 Adventure Motorcycle - October 15, 2013, 07:50 AM

BMW R 1200 Adventure Motorcycle

A proper bike shouldn't be confined to just riding on the roads it should give you the kind of freedom your adventurous spirit needs. The BMW R 1200 Adventure Motorcycle ($15,000) has everything you need for excitement on the roads and off, with a flat-twin two-cylinder four-stroke engine producing 92 lb-ft of torque and 125 brake horsepower, rain and road drive modes, and a nearly eight-gallon fuel tank. Muscular styling, plenty of options to outfit it for nearly any excursion, and three available color versions (olive matte, racing blue metallic matte, and alpine white) let you go anywhere in absolute style.

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a llama again!

October 15, 2013, 08:00 AM

Amazing bikes, I have recently become very interested in it's little brother the GSA800.

Only downside I see with the new model is the radiators you would have to add protection for those.

Oh and one other question why does it require premium fuel? Are you really going to get 93OCT in the remote area's of the world? I am sure it runs just fine on other fuel I just find it funny. Like saying "Go anywhere in the world so long as it's not a second or third world country."

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

October 15, 2013, 08:16 AM

This may be unfair criticism, but I saw some shit happen to the BMWs that Ewan McGregor used in his big tour that made me doubt their durability. I consider these bikes great for 98% pavement and 1.9% gravel, and 0.1% dirt path to the campsites.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
Stand Collector

October 15, 2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
This may be unfair criticism, but I saw some shit happen to the BMWs that Ewan McGregor used in his big tour that made me doubt their durability. I consider these bikes great for 98% pavement and 1.9% gravel, and 0.1% dirt path to the campsites.
this, they were like falling over every 2 miles

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#5)
starbucks ADV rider

October 15, 2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Amazing bikes, I have recently become very interested in it's little brother the GSA800.

Only downside I see with the new model is the radiators you would have to add protection for those.

Oh and one other question why does it require premium fuel? Are you really going to get 93OCT in the remote area's of the world? I am sure it runs just fine on other fuel I just find it funny. Like saying "Go anywhere in the world so long as it's not a second or third world country."
most of south america has 90+ octane fuel...
good luck getting parts for it tho, id expect long wait times for parts to arrive. Specially in third world countries.

08 Yamaha WR450F/ SM
12 Yamaha SuperTenere
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

October 15, 2013, 08:52 AM

Didn't a swing arm or frame break on one of them? I could see breaking a frame on say a KTM 690 or 990 Enduro from sheer punishment. When that happens on a 1200 on gravel roads, what it tells me is that the bikes are too heavy and that the structural components are too weak so they are flexing too much.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#7)
I'm a llama again!

October 15, 2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Didn't a swing arm or frame break on one of them? I could see breaking a frame on say a KTM 690 or 990 Enduro from sheer punishment. When that happens on a 1200 on gravel roads, what it tells me is that the bikes are too heavy and that the structural components are too weak so they are flexing too much.

Yeah they did break one of the bikes. These bikes are not made for hardcore off road they are way to heavy, they would do great on light fire roads like the lower fire road at Peters Mill. The upper fire road would be to much for them. What they really excel in is they can carry a ton of weight, they are able to go really long distances and they can handle a good bit off off road abuse, also you can run everything you need that requires electricity, like heated gear and such. So as a world traveling bike they hard to beat.

Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 15, 2013, 10:04 AM

Very big, very tough kitchen sink transports. When you want to haul 350lbs of gear long distance over nasty mountain roads this is the bike to have. The water cooling help them achieve a bit more HP but took away from it's toughness a bit imho.

For remote sections of the world or a post apocalypse scenario I'd still take a older gen KLR or something like an air cooled DR.

But there is no denying the GS1200 is a beastly looking bike! If one appeared in my garage I wouldn't toss it out.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#9)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 15, 2013, 10:11 AM

I'd go with the KTM990's. I've see those punished on significantly more than dirt roads and do fine. Seriously. I've seen them go up trails that would leave most of this board crying on the side with typical dirtbikes.

That being said....i really do need to try one one for grins.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

October 15, 2013, 10:12 AM

Bike is too big for me. However it looks beast.

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
Unread
  (#11)
Toe Dragger

October 15, 2013, 10:44 AM

The subframes are the weak spot on them.. everyone thinks you can load them to the gills and just go wherever you want, but when you put that much strain on the subframe, they break. Dont carry a bunch of stuff, and they are fine..

I would personally go KTM... there is a reason they really wanted the KTM's to begin with..

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

October 15, 2013, 11:20 AM

The KTMs are hands down the better true dirt bike of the two. Things get a bit more cloudy when long range adventure riding come to mind - I reckon it depends on ones definition of adventure.

If you want to travel cross country and hit some dirt roads along the way either would be a fine choice. IMHO the BMW is the better all-weather ride though. Shafties are nice. I've owned two of them (an FJR and Concours) and must admit that when the weather turns soggy, snowy, and nasty in general it's sweet to not have to give a second thought to chain maintenance. I have bailed riding to work when it was forecast to rain on chain drive bikes simply because I didn't want my drive chain to be subjected to sitting still in a downpour all day.

The other item is that for whatever reason the KTMs tend to be a bit more prone to corrosion issues compared to he BMWs. At least there is a lot more discussion of corrosion issues on the KTM boards compared to the BMW boards. Maybe that's just because the KTM riders like playing in the dirt more.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

October 15, 2013, 11:31 AM

How much off-roading do people actually do on these? I know someone who has one of these - never takes if off the pavement. Really nice bikes; if they wern't so tall I would consider getting one. I really like the hard luggage, very pricy tho.
Unread
  (#14)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 15, 2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilingcat View Post
How much off-roading do people actually do on these? I know someone who has one of these - never takes if off the pavement. Really nice bikes; if they wern't so tall I would consider getting one. I really like the hard luggage, very pricy tho.

You should go to a KTM dual sport rally. I had one of the few true dirtbikes there. (300 two stroke) There were a bunch of four strokers as well. But bay far the most were the adventure bikes. It was kinda fun to watch them wrangle their big bikes up over the stupid shit. And then I would pass them and go merrily on my way.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#15)
I'm a llama again!

October 15, 2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilingcat View Post
That's kind of hard question to answer, way I see it you have your folks that never see dirt. Then you have the guy's that have done it a couple of times just to say they have. Then you have your hard core guys that would rather get turned around ten times because of obstacles then ever see pavement.