DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
2 members and 554 guests
2blueyam, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > KTM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Represent
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Represent - August 28, 2009, 01:38 AM

After going through and tightening all the nuts and bolts that have vibrated loose over the past week--and there were in fact several, including a turn signal post--I slapped on the fork protectors that I received guides for today in the mail from Matto Cycle. Kept thinking it looked like they needed a lil somethin' somethin'. Then it occured to me,...

You may possibly notice the ultra-sturdy speedometer cable keeper off the back end of the fork protector guide. That's a little home fab job from a coat hanger. I forgot how much fun dirt bikes are to work on.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

August 28, 2009, 03:51 AM

Does that bike have a cush drive rear wheel? If so is it an 18inch rim? I am getting a ktm520 dual sport and wanted to find a cush drive for it. Thanks
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

August 28, 2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
After going through and tightening all the nuts and bolts that have vibrated loose over the past week--and there were in fact several, including a turn signal post--I slapped on the fork protectors that I received guides for today in the mail from Matto Cycle. Kept thinking it looked like they needed a lil somethin' somethin'. Then it occured to me,...

You may possibly notice the ultra-sturdy speedometer cable keeper off the back end of the fork protector guide. That's a little home fab job from a coat hanger. I forgot how much fun dirt bikes are to work on.
I need to paint these fork protectors black and get the red DCSBN sticker...

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#4)
fruta fresca

August 28, 2009, 08:27 AM

that thing is a beast.
Unread
  (#5)
starbucks ADV rider

August 28, 2009, 08:29 AM

+1 on painting the fork protectors... i wonder how it would look with gold forks and gold wheels
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

August 28, 2009, 08:43 AM

Yeah, the plan is to paint the new ones I ordered since they are pristine. I just haven't decided how to go about it yet so for now I'm rocking the old, scuffed up ones in white.

This bike indeed has a cush drive on the 18" rear wheel. Don't quote me on this, but I think all of the LC4-based bikes have cush drives. There's ongoing debate about how necessary a cush drive is on a supermoto bike. I tend to think that it's a good idea and should help avoid broken hubs and such. However, there are guys on KTMTalk and supermotojunkie who swear that it's not necessary.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#7)
It was me.

August 28, 2009, 08:49 AM

Westside mothahfukahs!!

Mohawk Ryderz Road Captain
www.MohawkRyderz.com

"We drop sukaz!"

-
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GwgOmlI0ht.../s400/byah.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Widow Maker  
Unread
  (#8)
Pleased to meet me

August 28, 2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
+1 on painting the fork protectors... i wonder how it would look with gold forks and gold wheels
terrible
Unread
  (#9)
Magic Carpet Ride

August 28, 2009, 08:58 AM

Put the knobbies back on and let's go off-roading!
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

August 28, 2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness View Post
terrible
I'm thinking black fork tubes and and black 17" rims, eventually, when I have the dollars. Once a 17" wheelset goes on, the giant front fender goes bye bye too. But before all that, I may need to put a new carburetor on it. Baby steps...

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#11)
GET SOME ! ! !

August 28, 2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
I think the gold forks would look good, and gold excel wheels would be a nice touch

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#12)
Pleased to meet me

August 28, 2009, 09:29 AM

What carb is on there now? BTS40?
Unread
  (#13)
Derpentine Dealer

August 28, 2009, 09:49 AM

It's the original Del'orto. The '95s had a good carb; it was in '96 that they put the garbage Eddlebrock on. Either way, I think the Del is just old, worn, and starting to give up. I think either the BST40 or the FCR is in order here. The bike runs pretty well once warm, but it's a PITA to start. That could be valve adjustment related too. Before it's really warm, it does something my old '96 bandit used to do. It would not return all the way to idle rpms but sit a few hundred above unless I let the clutch out a bit in first and put a brief load on the engine. Then it would settle down to idle. I assume this is a product of an old, tired carburetor.

Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

August 28, 2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
It's the original Del'orto. The '95s had a good carb; it was in '96 that they put the garbage Eddlebrock on. Either way, I think the Del is just old, worn, and starting to give up. I think either the BST40 or the FCR is in order here. The bike runs pretty well once warm, but it's a PITA to start. That could be valve adjustment related too. Before it's really warm, it does something my old '96 bandit used to do. It would not return all the way to idle rpms but sit a few hundred above unless I let the clutch out a bit in first and put a brief load on the engine. Then it would settle down to idle. I assume this is a product of an old, tired carburetor.
It sounds like a lean pilot circuit. Have you tried making some adjustments on the air/fuel mixture screw? It could also be valve related but usually that would also make the bike idle rough as well. Just my.02. I am just getting onto the ktm band wagon so I still have alot to learn about there older line up.
Unread
  (#15)
Derpentine Dealer

August 29, 2009, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the tip. I think you're probably correct here. I notice that a cold start requires many kick-throughs as if it takes a while for enough gas to make it's way into the combustion chamber. Once it starts, it idles very nicely, and it never dies when coming to a stop. The throttle response is extremely positive with no hesitation whatsoever. Overall, the bike seems to be running a little rich because the plug color is not visible under the soot. I haven't messed with mixture adjustments yet, but maybe I'll start making some small tweaks to see. Thanks!