DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 545
5 members and 540 guests
CCS762ZX6, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > KTM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Say hello to my little friend
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Say hello to my little friend - December 12, 2008, 07:39 AM

Wait for it...

(Hint: I'm in the market for DOT-approved 21" front and 18" rear.)

UPDATE: I got a '95 KTM LC4 620. Yeah it's old and probably going to be some work, but I got a pretty good deal on it. Hey, it runs. Here's a photo of what it looked like before the previous owner painted it (I'm third owner):

Here's what it looks like now before any work:

This is what I want it to look like eventually (sort of):

I have a ways to go. Gotta start saving for the 17" wheelset.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; December 17, 2008 at 01:13 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Typical Stripper

December 12, 2008, 07:41 AM

Just get a 17" wheelset.... makes it much easier to find a wide variety of tires

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

December 12, 2008, 07:57 AM

I'm on a tight budget.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

December 12, 2008, 09:15 AM

Congrats? (should I withhold that until you post pics?)

Maybe talk to armadillo or hondahawkrider over on .com about the tires...
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

December 17, 2008, 01:15 AM

Photos added. I have my work cut out for me with the wiring. It's a mess. I'm contemplating paying out the rear for some new harnesses.

Unread
  (#6)
Pleased to meet me

December 17, 2008, 07:12 AM

Looks good. Congrats.
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

December 17, 2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness View Post
Looks good. Congrats.
Thanks. I'm reminded of some of the things you've posted as I tear into it. Started breaking it down last night to take care of some minor things like cable lubrication and adjustments. All cable s but the newer throttle cable ought to be replaced, but I'm going to save that for a later date and focus on getting it through MD inspection. Only the essential wiring for ignition is on the bike now, and the stuff taken off for the lights and whatnot is a jumbled mess with many cut wires not connected to anything. I'm not sure the stuff can be used at all, and I may just make it easy on myself and buy replacements.

Some people really ought not go near electrical systems. The first owner of this bike is clearly one of those people.

Here are some more photos. Have a plentiful box of extras, including all the lights and related brackets for street legal:

There are a few little things missing here and there, like the end cap on the subframe here on the right:

Subframe is straight, a good sign:

Things are dirty but in pretty good shape overall, but I found one not-so-unexpected discovery...

Radiator hose connection seeping. I'll probably drain the coolant and reseal all the hose connections before reassembly.

I forgot how much fun dirt bikes are. I can lean this thing all the way to the floor, hold it there for the gas to slosh over to the side of the tank with the petcock, and then bring it right back up without herniating any disks in my back. I can wrench on it without having to spend half a day getting to the spot. Ah, elegant simplicity! So far I'm happy with the KTM engineering too.

Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

December 17, 2008, 09:03 AM

Cool bike John!
Unread
  (#9)
GET SOME ! ! !

December 17, 2008, 09:31 AM

nice find, let me know if you need any extra parts, I have a couple extra renthal sprockets (only larger sized ones, you'll probably want to downsize in the rear, even though it already looks like it has been done)

I've got a few other odds and ends, ill check to see what they are, because most won't fit my RM-250 2-stoke, let me know if you need any help with the rewiring, or if you get stuck somewhere, i've been through it with a street legalized DRZ-400e, previous owner didn't do a great job, and I went through the bike from top to bottom double checking everything....Good Luck

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

December 17, 2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
nice find, let me know if you need any extra parts, I have a couple extra renthal sprockets (only larger sized ones, you'll probably want to downsize in the rear, even though it already looks like it has been done)

I've got a few other odds and ends, ill check to see what they are, because most won't fit my RM-250 2-stoke, let me know if you need any help with the rewiring, or if you get stuck somewhere, i've been through it with a street legalized DRZ-400e, previous owner didn't do a great job, and I went through the bike from top to bottom double checking everything....Good Luck
Thanks! I need to get my hands on a wiring diagram and search online for photos that happen to show harness placements. I may be contacting you when I'm ready to put it all on.

Unread
  (#11)
GET SOME ! ! !

December 17, 2008, 09:48 AM

^ for sure, just let me know, I wish I had taken pictures of my setup, but let me know if you've got trouble when the time comes

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#12)
Derpentine Dealer

June 5, 2009, 07:21 PM

Well, finally started the beast. What happened here is that I replaced the main wiring harness and did some extensive repair to the key switch harness. I ordered a new key switch harness months ago, and they told me it was backordered. I guess that shit's pretty much never coming because I never heard anything again on it. Oh well.

Anyway, I strapped on some leg armor and went after it when I got home from work. I really struggled with the decompression lever, jumping up in the air as high as I could, and coming down on the kicker. Nothing doing. I got tired and decided to bag it for the day. Then after rolling it into the garage, I pulled the plug on the right side that shows the top dead center mark and decided to play around with TDC and the decomp lever. I noticed that if I just left the decomp lever alone, I could put pressure on the kicker at TDC and have it leak down enough after a few seconds to go ahead and kick through. I figured I might as well turn on the key and kill switch in case some miracle happened. Wouldn't you know it, that sumbitch fired right up with a wimpy ass half kick. I was ecstatic.

Here's the bad news though. At first I had light on my speedometer. Then I checked the tail light, nothing. Then the speedo light didn't light up anymore. I don't have a headlight connected yet so couldn't test that. My horn works though, and both the key switch and kill switch do what they're supposed to do. I have a horn, I have ignition, but I have zero lights anywhere. Now I have to figure out what's going on.

So dodge, how busy are you these days?

I took it around some side streets here close to home. Ha ha ha, I can't wait to get the lights working, get the conti trail attacks mounted, get it legalized, and let the mayhem begin!

Unread
  (#13)
Derpentine Dealer

June 5, 2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
^ for sure, just let me know, I wish I had taken pictures of my setup, but let me know if you've got trouble when the time comes
I may have to entice you with food, spirits, and/or monetary rewards to come help me trace what's wrong with my lights. I have a multimeter, but I really don't know what I'm doing with it at all.

Unread
  (#14)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

June 5, 2009, 07:27 PM

I could make it up there for a night. Have you checked all the grounds? Let me know when.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#15)
Derpentine Dealer

June 5, 2009, 07:32 PM

Oooo, like after work some evening? I'll definitely make it worth your while. Let me do some checking to make sure it's not just something stupid first. I'm going on that deals gap trip next week so probably after I get back from that. I'm so stupid to have not tackled this a month ago or sooner because there's space on a trailer going down, and I could have this little guy down there to run the dragon on. Oh well, next time.

She's running like a dream otherwise, I am happy to say.