DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 531
1 members and 530 guests
nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Vintage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bought a 1973 Honda CB350F
Unread
  (#1)
I use my turn signal

Bought a 1973 Honda CB350F - August 22, 2013, 10:39 PM

I've been looking for a cafe/vintage bike for a while now and finally bought one. One of my good friends bought this bike several years ago and it was going to be a project. I didn't even know he still had it till the other night and told him I wanted it. I bought it for $350 and got it last week. The owner before him had cut it up a little and made a bobber style bike out of it. Apparently it ran and had good compression. I picked it up and could tell it was going to be a huge project. The previous owner had bondo'd some stuff on the gas tank and painted it. My friend went to strip the paint for powder coat and saw it had body filler so attempted to weld in the dents and completely F'd it up. He ended up cutting out a big hole in the tank and was going to get it fixed but it sat forever. I had to order a new tank the other night. The bike also had the carbs removed and the carb assembly is at my friend's parents house so I still need to pick that up. They were removed to get rebuilt and cleaned because apparently they needed it badly. I'm still on the fence about just buying a used carb assembly already rebuilt off ebay. Here's some pics to start off how I bought it.

My friend is really tall and had to add those goofy handlebars but this is a picture he took when he first bought it with the flat bars.

So far I have completely stripped the bike down to just the frame/swingarm and motor.

I have a good friend who works at Sterling Hot Rods and paints/fabricates stuff. We are going to weld the frame back up to a cafe style and I am going to get a new seat, shocks, tail loop, and some other stuff to pull off the rear.

I guess we are going to weld the frame back up to something similar to this.

I'm on the fence about purchasing a cafe seat like this.
Legendary Motorcycles "Thruxton" Cafe Racer Seat | Cafe Racer Seat

Or this....

I guess the first plan is to pull the motor and get the frame welded up and the seat and shocks fitted up then paint the frame. I plan to repaint the exhaust, forks, wheels, and clean everything up that's been taken off. I am going to get new handlebars I just haven't decided between drag bars, clubman bars, and clipons. I may just order some drag bars for now until I get the bike back together and running and may eventually switch over to clip ons and add some rearsets to where the passenger pegs went.

The one main concern I have with this bike is the wiring. Right now I removed a birds nest of wiring and crap that is totally confusing to me. There was no headlight or tail light so I need to figure out wiring for that as well. It needs a new battery because I plugged it into my battery tender and the red light is flashing. I'm thinking of moving the battery to under the seat hump if I go that route with the seat but I'd have to extend the wires. There was also a metal box containing a bunch of wiring and shit that I'm lost on. I may need help when it comes to wiring.

You can see the black box with the wiring and stuff in it in this pic. You can also kinda see the small battery that was mounted underneath it. I'd like to relocate these and extend/clean up all the wiring but may need some help from someone who knows what they're doing. Only problem is I'd like to figure this out before I weld up the frame in case I need to weld tabs or anything to mount these.

Also the whole carb assembly thing is going to be difficult for me as well. The only carbed bike I ever had was my dirt bike and I never touched the carbs in the 2 years I owned it.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65

Last edited by pDubs; July 22, 2014 at 09:18 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I use my turn signal

August 22, 2013, 10:39 PM

edit: double post

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65

Last edited by pDubs; July 22, 2014 at 09:19 AM..
Unread
  (#3)
I use my turn signal

August 22, 2013, 10:39 PM

edit: triple post

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65

Last edited by pDubs; July 22, 2014 at 09:21 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

August 22, 2013, 10:47 PM

nice project

another source for parts/seats:

Benjie's Cafe Racers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#5)
I use my turn signal

August 22, 2013, 10:54 PM

Thanks. Has anyone ever heard of motohangar in Vienna? I may eventually bring the bike to him to have the carbs synced and anything else I can't figure out on my own. RnR is another option as well but not sure yet. I'm guessing I'm going to need help when it comes to wiring and carbs and that's it. For the most part everything else on this bike is extremely easy to work on.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

August 23, 2013, 09:31 AM

Bad assed project. Love the CBs. Good luck and keep us posted on the project.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Unread
  (#7)
I hate Hybrid drivers

August 23, 2013, 10:14 AM

I used Motohangar once on my tricky orange bike. They did a good job. Young guys. Fun time. I like the way your bike looks in the second pic. I can help you with the wiring. I rewire all my CBs from scratch.
Unread
  (#8)
isn't camping great?!?!

August 23, 2013, 10:20 AM

awesome build. i was looking for a cb or a fzr about 6 years ago and just happened to luck into a nice fzr i couldn't refuse. still wanna do what you are doing with a cb, maybe even a 2 stroke for a cafe racer/bobber. good luck with it. looking forward to seeing your progress.

team promotion coach #957
'o4 r6 track only - old pig in new shoes!
'o8 ktm 25o xc-w(e) street legal
'99 ktm 64o enduro a.k.a. "bad betty"
s2ooo street & track duty: volk, brembo, wilwood, ohlins ttx (soon!)

Unread
  (#9)
I use my turn signal

August 23, 2013, 05:33 PM

Thanks guys. Dave I might just have to take you up on that. I could really use the help when it comes to rewiring everything.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#10)
I use my turn signal

August 28, 2013, 12:07 PM

Alright guys I did some photoshopping and am in between the 2 seats/tails.

Not the best photoshops but you get the picture. Brat style or cafe style?

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#11)
Typical Stripper

August 28, 2013, 12:09 PM

#2 IMO

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Eddie would go ...

August 28, 2013, 12:11 PM

2 with a thicker pad to have a better tank transition line

Quote:
Unread
  (#13)
I use my turn signal

August 28, 2013, 12:24 PM

Oh and I ordered a used tank off ebay. Needs to be repainted and needs new petcock gaskets and gas cap gasket but I am happy with it. I also need to order another Honda badge because its missing one on the right side.

I really would like to redo that pinstriping on the tank. I might end up getting them cut by somebody in vinyl and have them applied in between paint and clear coat. I am going to order some RED-KOTE to seal the inside of the tank and I'm going to order all the gaskets. I'm still trying to decide what color I should do the tank. I think I might go with with a pretty dark metallicy green. The frame and rest of the bike will be black with some chrome things here and there like the headlight ring, kick start, rear shocks, levers, and some other little things.

I need to decide on which seat route I want to go. If I'm doing the cafe I need to order the seat, cushions, and tail loop.

Legendary Motorcycles "Thruxton" Cafe Racer Seat | Cafe Racer Seat

Legendary Motorcycles Manx & Thruxton Seat Foam Kit | Cafe Racer Seat

DCC Originals "DIY Cafe Racer" CB350/CB450 Rear Steel Tail Hoop/Loop | Cafe Racer Rear Seat Tail Section

If I'm going the brat style route I need to order the seat (upswept) and the upswept tail loop.

The DCC Originals Upswept Leather Wrapped "Brat" Seat | Brat Style Motorcycle Seat

I also need to order 1 inch piping to redo the frame. Anybody know where I should order this from. Apparently I need like 10 or 11 gauge steel piping with 1" outer diameter.

Here's a list I put together of other stuff I need to order as well:

Headlight and mount for front forks.
Throttle tube, cable, and grips.
Rear shocks
Tail light
Fork gaiters
Wiring
Battery

There's definitely some other stuff missing. Mainly the fact that I'm still mising carburetors, haha.

Does anyone know if this bike has 2 throttle cables, 1 push 1 pull? On the handlebars that came with the bike there is a throttle tube and cable mounted on them with only one cable coming out of the little mount. Since I'm missing the carbs I don't know if that's right or not. It feels like garbage and I will be replacing the entire thing but I'm a little confused.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#14)
Eddie would go ...

August 28, 2013, 12:26 PM

nice, throw some flake into that paint if you go metallic - you won't regret it. Also go with real pin striping if you can - makes all the difference in the end

Quote:
Unread
  (#15)
I use my turn signal

August 28, 2013, 12:29 PM

Instead of spending over 200 on that seat I may end up making it myself.

The DCC Original "Brat" Seat Pan | Brat Style Motorcycle Seat

This is basically what the seat I posted above is made around. I'm thinking I might grab a skateboard deck and cut the nose off. The measurements will be almost exactly the same and I can add some cushion on top and then get it wrapped in leather or whatever.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65