DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 542
0 members and 542 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Vintage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Honda CB350 Cafe Hardtail DONE
Unread
  (#1)
I hate Hybrid drivers

Honda CB350 Cafe Hardtail DONE - March 7, 2011, 10:40 AM

This bike started as a complete Cb350. I wanted to put a mono shock on the rear of it that I had off of a SV650. The angle wouldn't work right and there just wasn't enough room around the front of the swing arm so I removed the shock and made it a hard tail.

I wanted the cafe look for this bike. I welded in a support bar to hold up the seat, smoothed out the frame seams and welded them up to give it a clean look. I welded the swing arm in place by welding braces to the frame and I also welded the uptubes from the frame directly to the swing arm.

I cut Styrofoam and shaped into a cafe style seat, covered the Styrofoam with tin foil and laid a few layers of fiberglass. Then applied a thin layer of bondo to smooth it all out and painted it. I chipped the Styrofoam out of the hump and mounted it on the bike. Under the bump is where the battery, voltage regulator, rectifier and starter solenoid are. I rewired the whole bike with just the wires needed and ran the wires where they could not be seen.

I mounted the clubman style handlebars under the top triple tree. I had to cut the handlebar, angle it to clear the forks. I welded in a bung to fill in the void I made when cutting and angling the bars. They are low. Might be uncomfortable but they look cool. I also customized the bracket that holds the speedometer and tachometer and welded the bracket to the handle bar under the top triple tree.

I mounted mufflers from a Harley Davidson Street Bob. They are long, heavy and sweet looking. Since the frame is a hard tail I made a bracket that holds the rear of the mufflers stable. They go through the rear axle and are secured to the muffler with a large hose clamp.

I finally got the last couple of parts I needed and put all of them on and took it for a spin today. It's awesome, feels good, handles good, has a very aggressive stance. It started on the 3rd kick and ran great, it even idled good. Chris (spiritnblk) and Phil (blushin) rode it. Chris rode it more than I did. By the time Phil got to ride it the petcock was clogged with debris and it stopped running. I need to seal the tank, I just ordered the kit to do so.

I posted it on dotheton.com and of course they hated it. Said the swing arm is going to break. I know the swing arm needs more support. I'll fix it one of these days. Seems sturdy to me, it supported Phil so it should be good for a while

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Elite Racing

March 7, 2011, 10:42 AM

Nice!!

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#3)
Owner & Creator

March 7, 2011, 10:55 AM

Why not use one of those 4cell or 8cell batteries for that bad boy. I can give you the # to my connection for one of those batteries. Who did the powder coating on that thing. Looks sick!
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 7, 2011, 10:57 AM

Looks good but does it come with a pry bar to get the seat out of your ass after rides?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
got barrier?

March 7, 2011, 10:58 AM

Bike looks good and nice fg work on the seat. I think some orange on the bottom section of the tank or something though might help the look flow more?

DUCATI MONSTER
rubber ducky?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dubplaya  
Unread
  (#6)
I hate Hybrid drivers

March 7, 2011, 11:12 AM

No powdercoat, I painted it. I painted it orange 3 times before I settled on this shade, now I can't remember which brand it was, ha ha. I like those little batteries but they are still too expensive for my crappy little project bikes.

I was surprised how nice it rode. It's a little bumpy but I didn't go far. Just have to remember to raise your butt off the seat a little when hitting big bumps.

When I weld on more support for the swing arm I'm going to have to repaint it. I might paint the frame flat black and keep the gas tank shiney black. I have 4 CB350s and all are black except this one.
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 7, 2011, 11:14 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but in your last thread, wasn't there more support on the swingarm? I seem to remember an angled piece going back up towards the tank?

Glad you're planning on shoring it up. Personally, I think it looks awesome. I would love to have something like this for the wife.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#8)
SUPERBITCHIN'

March 7, 2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitzvh View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but in your last thread, wasn't there more support on the swingarm? I seem to remember an angled piece going back up towards the tank?

Glad you're planning on shoring it up. Personally, I think it looks awesome. I would love to have something like this for the wife.
I think that's his other bike, Ball Breaker

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#9)
I hate Hybrid drivers

March 7, 2011, 11:48 AM

I think you are thinking of this one Another CB350 Project - Backbreaker
Unread
  (#10)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 7, 2011, 11:49 AM

Yeah, my bad.

You have lots of these. You should give me one. ROFL

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#11)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 7, 2011, 12:05 PM

Nice work Dave. When Ballbreaker is done I want to shoot all your Cafes at the same time.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#12)
Road Kill

March 7, 2011, 12:09 PM

FYI, i've been doing some research... you are more then welcome to borrow the idea.

if you strip the center stand of the excess metal all over it... all of the CBs had different ones so look on ebay to find one that might work... one should follow the arch of the swing arm. if not, you know how to do the cuts to make it flow better. but its an "easy" way to get the arch needed to do a swing arm brace.

i'm going to give it a try with one of the extra swing arms i have. center stands are cheap/free from some people

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

March 7, 2011, 01:27 PM

Awesome. Mechanical simplicity.

Yamaha FZ8
Husqvarna TE310R ---
Unread
  (#14)
B
It goes to 11.

March 7, 2011, 03:28 PM

Damn Dave. Your shit ain't pretty bit it looks pretty bad ass.

I'd rock that thing any day.

Mandrel bend a peice of pipe along the brake side swingarm, around in front of the tire, and up the seat stem! Problem solved.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#15)
I hate Hybrid drivers

March 11, 2011, 09:22 AM

It's a little small for Phil or maybe Phil is a little big for it.

Tags
cb350