DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 522
1 members and 521 guests
nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Vintage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Need some place to start :)
Unread
  (#1)
need more knee down

Need some place to start :) - April 19, 2012, 01:15 PM

So my sister really wants to get back on 2 wheels, she got her license over a decade ago (15 years to be exact lol) and hasn't ridden since 2004. She and a previous ex-gf used to have some pos harley and then she shared my Yama FZr600 before i sold that. She really loves my CB1kr and wants a similar look (nekked but not a bobber/chopper since she hated the harley lol) but without the price tag and big motor so i pointed her to some old school cafe racer types and she is 100% go. Zx6rMatt mentioned a jalopy show in july, so we definitely going to that but I wanted to surprise her with a decent bike for her bday/grad present.

So where do I start? I poked around craigslist but outside the Honda CBs and the Yama XSs what else could I use as a solid base for a cafe racer? My only request is that the bike be semi-reliable simply cus she wants to ride it to and from the hospitals she'll be working at and I don't want her calling me every week stuck on 66/234 because something went up. I figure i can pour around $500 into the bike initially and we'll work on it through this year and have it ready for '13 riding season.

example of what she likes..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg another.jpg (54.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg i like the silver.jpg (467.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1194.jpg (163.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Old School Bikes.JPG (128.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg yamaha 1985.jpg (103.3 KB, 11 views)

~Lou
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr 
Unread
  (#2)
need more knee down

April 19, 2012, 01:16 PM

also, im so tempted to email this guy and offer a lower price since no one is bididng on his $4k asking.....

Honda : CB Honda : CB - eBay (item 170823832809 end time Apr-19-12 13:50:28 PDT)

ya or nay? What's it worth?

~Lou
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr 
Unread
  (#3)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 19, 2012, 02:15 PM

You're going to pay more for a converted bike than a factory one.

Better off finding a running bike in stock config.

-Ryan
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

April 19, 2012, 05:53 PM

If you're planning for '13 season, just forget about it right now. Now is a lousy time to buy as everyone is buying overpriced bikes. Wait a few months and keep your eyes open. Late summer and fall is when people start to lose interest and you have all winter to work on it.
Unread
  (#5)
need more knee down

April 19, 2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
You're going to pay more for a converted bike than a factory one.

Better off finding a running bike in stock config.
Well yeh, just happen to see that bike on ebay while i was posting the first message and wondered how much it was "worth".

I'll most likely look for something stock that at least runs, i just want some ideas on what i should be looking for.

~Lou
Unread
  (#6)
need more knee down

April 19, 2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
If you're planning for '13 season, just forget about it right now. Now is a lousy time to buy as everyone is buying overpriced bikes. Wait a few months and keep your eyes open. Late summer and fall is when people start to lose interest and you have all winter to work on it.
Yeh, obviously being almost mid-season people want more for their bikes. She graduates in Aug with her masters so I figure I'd spring for it around then or sept maybe if something good comes up.

~Lou
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

April 19, 2012, 09:11 PM

Just keep your eyes open... you're looking for something pretty rare. It may take months to find the right thing. Kinda cool that you will get to ride with your sister one day.
Unread
  (#8)
Groping is a skill...

April 19, 2012, 09:12 PM

^This

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Don't believe the hype...

April 20, 2012, 12:10 AM

Well, if you're looking to "build" a "cafe racer", look to spend about $1000 to $4000, bike not included. It all depends on what you want to do with it. Some people just buy a stock bike, put clubmans on it and a seat hump and call it a day. Some people go all out, and even get custom parts made. I personally have been building one since August of last year, and so far I've put well over $2k on it. But I'm also literally rebuilding the bike from the frame up. I've gotten all new parts for what needed to be replaced, and repainted what needed to be reused. I'm also rebuilding the engine. Overall I'm estimating about $3500 to have the bike the way I want it (might even end up more). But it'll be well worth it.

So if that's what she really wants, you can't go wrong with a Honda or a Yamaha for their reliability and parts availability. But make sure you know how to turn a wrench because trying to fit most parts can be a bit of a headache if you don't.

Try forums like dotheton.com and caferacer.net to look for some already built.

'11 Speedy
'72 CB450
Unread
  (#10)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 20, 2012, 06:53 AM

Honda CR750 Vintage Road Race Replica

-Ryan
Unread
  (#11)
need more knee down

April 20, 2012, 09:07 PM

RD350 cafe racer

found this gem.........

yeh, most likely we'll build something up like you're doing wobbles. I've done everything short of full engine rebuilds and welding when it comes to cars and bikes. Most likely i'll look for a decent chassis for $500-$1k, then strip it down and go to work. have someone local rebuild the motor/trans for us, fresh and "new" and then go into adding new suspension, brakes, wiring etc. through the winter into next spring. I've told her around $3k-4k and she is down with that since it will be "custom" and how she wants it to be so that's what we shooting for as well.

Witold - yeh, she's jelly when i go out west on rides and really wants to just head out there too lol. She was toying with the idea of a newer bike but she loves the 70s and 80s....just suits her better lol.

~Lou
Unread
  (#12)
RawkStar

April 20, 2012, 09:20 PM

If you are looking for something that is new and has that look I would recomment the Triumph Thruxton. Used they are pretty reasonable price, even new.
Unread
  (#13)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 20, 2012, 09:27 PM

Suzuki TU250 in the retro color scheme

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#14)
need more knee down

April 20, 2012, 11:20 PM

at this point, i think we full go on a old school build. She likes the idea of the price and "customized" aspect.

~Lou
Unread
  (#15)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 21, 2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVegaJr View Post
RD350 cafe racer

found this gem.........

yeh, most likely we'll build something up like you're doing wobbles. I've done everything short of full engine rebuilds and welding when it comes to cars and bikes. Most likely i'll look for a decent chassis for $500-$1k, then strip it down and go to work. have someone local rebuild the motor/trans for us, fresh and "new" and then go into adding new suspension, brakes, wiring etc. through the winter into next spring. I've told her around $3k-4k and she is down with that since it will be "custom" and how she wants it to be so that's what we shooting for as well.

Witold - yeh, she's jelly when i go out west on rides and really wants to just head out there too lol. She was toying with the idea of a newer bike but she loves the 70s and 80s....just suits her better lol.
I would stay away from a 2T bike if she wants to use it for long rides.

-Ryan