DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 609
2 members and 607 guests
nootherids, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Vintage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Project: CB750 commonly uncommon (wordy... one drawing)
Unread
  (#1)
Road Kill

Project: CB750 commonly uncommon (wordy... one drawing) - March 9, 2011, 07:32 AM

I purchased a 1973 CB750 in the summer of 2007. It was cheap ($250), in a million pieces (and boxes), and came with three non-running motors full of mystery oil. I loaded it up in my dads ranger and dragged it home.

Life was a little complicated... I blew up two motors in my street car, I just didnt have much money to work on the bike. I refused to sell it, though many people offered much more than I paid for it. In the 4 years of owning it i've only managed to complete a couple of things... Cut (not really done with that) the frame, and stripped/bondo/primer/POR15 my gas tank.

I'm dumb and want to build a cafe... you know like everyone else has. Its something i've wanted to do for 10 years... and i've been broke and lazy for the last 4. Just like everyone else... i wanted old, light weight (haha), home-made, and full of my personality. but thats everyones goal right?

I used to do metal work... every day. It's been a long time though. I basically left the trade because my boss was a jerk, i was tired of coming home dirty has hell every day, and the hours sucked. But it was an art... something i was pretty good at... and i want it to shine through on my bike.

that being said... and some of you might agree... a cafe is a cafe. If you dont have a really good eye you'll miss what makes it different. Some of you bitch about "kits" and shit... piss off, its what someone wanted to do and they did it. maybe they cant lay fiberglass, or dont have the space, or whatever... if someone posts something like that, keep your opinions to your self or look harder for something you like in it.

Cafe bikes are all about the details. you have to get past the rattle can paint, the buggered welds, and really look at the bike. speaking of... this is my drunken drawing of what it should look like... black, british racing green, and gold. yes its been done before... fuck off.

List of the crap i plan to do...
Front End:
-Clip ons (just like everyone else)
-Stock headlight bucket
-Stock headlight glass, with HID kit inside
-Joker Machine bar end mirrors
-Stock front wheel with fresh laces
-VFR calipers, double disk front end
-Single gauge set up, its a pimp'n electric tach/speedo i found and its small
-fork brace
-custom cut fender

Frame:
-mock up the gussets and weld them in... also make an internet friendly template to put them up online so other people dont have to suffer
-hoop the tail
-make a mount for the belly exhaust (600RR muffler)
-gusset mount the key/ignition (maybe the pushbutton start too)
- seat pan out of perferated metal, weld/tap so the seat can directly frame mount
-figure out how to mount the long/round oil can (ripped off from the chopper boys)
-weld in rearset tabs (600RR rear sets)
-Go with the longer swing arm for the fat tire... and try to use the old center stand to make a braced swing arm

Body:
-Carpy tail (oh noes!) or something... i'll make my own seat pan
-Ciricle 40 LED brake light
-LED turn signals front and rear
-billet gas cap, though i was thinking about cutting in a vortex gas cap... but my tank is pretty mint
-stock tank

Motor: (will wait a long time for this)
-836cc with low friction coating, "stock" compression
-mild cam
-velocity stacks with long oval filter
-ONE DAY... turbo kit... until then, a MAC short 4:1 header with belly muffler

Swing Arm:
-Stock long arm with bracing
-rear HD 16 inch rim, honda CB750 hub (like everyone else)
-maybe rear disk... maybe drum... who knows.

obviously there is a lot of stuff i'm leaving out. There will be a lot of tin work, custom battery tray, "stealthed" in frame side fender out back, etc. its all parts and detail. I move April 1st and the stock of parts will pile up. if you want to help... let me know

I plan on counting how many beers it takes to complete the build.

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 9, 2011, 07:36 AM

I sure hope you're better at metal work than you are at drawing!

Good Luck and have fun during the build process!

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.

Last edited by Nubbs; March 9, 2011 at 07:42 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)
The last urrbendah

March 9, 2011, 07:38 AM

You should send that drawing in to Maddox and let him rate it.

Good luck dude! Love me some chopped up CB

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
SUPERBITCHIN'

March 9, 2011, 07:54 AM

does the engine have a penis?

Good luck man, i think i can see through your "art" and see what you are going for and like it.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#5)
running on liquid crazy.

March 9, 2011, 08:30 AM

Ya'll are haters! Let's see YOUR artwork and put yo' money where your mouf is!

Good luck!! Will be a cool project

the one and only...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 9, 2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie
You should send that drawing in to Maddox and let him rate it.

Good luck dude! Love me some chopped up CB
VROOOOOOOM... F

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#7)
Give me the Ban Button!

March 9, 2011, 08:36 AM

These are the drawing he is more use to.

Now it is only a matter of time until the IT department is at my desk asking why I am searching for drawings of pipe bombs.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#8)
Road Kill

March 9, 2011, 08:51 AM

i was wasted out of my mind on midas touch (warm up) and PBR (finish the job)... i was drawing in pen... it was a fun evening.

the engine penis is actually going to change to stacks + one peice oval filter...

also my top secret rear shocks will drop the rear about 1/2 inch and i'm going to drop the front about an inch. i think.

EDIT: WTB stock 600RR rearsets... someone sell them too me

www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Last edited by JMURACN; March 9, 2011 at 09:00 AM..
Unread
  (#9)
Road Kill

March 9, 2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesasse1 View Post
Ya'll are haters! Let's see YOUR artwork and put yo' money where your mouf is!

Good luck!! Will be a cool project
*cough cough* you guys want to build me a CB750 motor? i'll assemble the parts

in other news... i traded two non running motors for a no title frame. vintage racer anyone?

www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

Unread
  (#10)
Road Kill

March 9, 2011, 01:30 PM

This is a rant from the SOHC forum... Its what i'm trying to avoid... maybe i'll just call it an old turd street rod

Cafe

As in: I just picked up an old, neglected sohc4 for a steal, and I think I'm gonna "cafe" it.

Definition: I'm very susceptible to popular trends and I don't have the time/money/patience to do a proper rebuild, so I'm gonna throw on a solo seat, some clubmans, and I'm gonna junk that ugly air box and put on some cheap pods because that air box is a pain in the ass when I have to keep pulling the carbs to figure out why my bike isn't running well instead of just doing a thorough clean and rebuild of them the first time, and then I'll get pissed at it because it runs even worse and I can never get those stupid carbs tuned right, and then I'll bolt on a ratty old 4-1 exhaust and ditch that useless, heavy center stand, and then I'll half-ass an attempt at converting to dual front discs but end up with two discs and only one working caliper instead, and then I'm gonna get rid of those ugly clocks because the needles just bounce around uselessy and put on a digital bicycle speedometer, and I'm gonna put on a super bright headlight and a Dyna-S because fukin' points are crappy, old technology and I don't want to learn how to adjust and set points anyway, and then I'm gonna curse this bike's old, anemic charging system because it can't keep the tiny battery I've installed in the seat hump charged, so then I'll change all the other bulbs to LED, and then I'll put on the fattest, cheapest tires I can find 'cuz I can't stand the look of those stock pizza-cutters and then #$%* about my bike not handling well but I don't care because it looks tits, and then I'll try to fix that with some cartridge emulators I heard about that will make your bike handle like a modern crotch rocket and put on these cheap, Chinese piggyback shocks I found on ebay because they make the bike look mean and fast but they're too long so I'll put on these lowering blocks while I'm at it but the shocks hit the chain guard making it rub the chain so I'll throw away that useless thing, and hey how do I hang this exhaust, I guess I'll just use some of this pipe strap, and how much exhaust wrap do I need, and I think the engine is overheating so I'll put on this oil cooler, and the valve cover keeps leaking so I'll just use this gasket sealer instead of shelling out for new gaskets, and why did my engine make a loud screeching sound followed by a louder PING and then die?

SCREW IT! I'm sick of trying to get this POS running well! I'll call it a cafe and try to sell it on ebay for $5,000 because I see that guy Carpy selling them for that much all the time, and hey, these things are rare, sought-after, vintage bikes, right?

www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

Unread
  (#11)
I hate Hybrid drivers

March 9, 2011, 04:54 PM

Sweet. that's a big project. Hurry up and get it done. I heard rumors of a vintage only motorcycle ride/gathering in early May so you maybe have 2 months to get it done... and go!
Unread
  (#12)
Road Kill

March 9, 2011, 05:14 PM

You have any running 750 motors? I have locked up one to mock up the build and break down for the big bore.... Nut I'd rather spend the money on getting it moving first... And swap in the big bore

www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs