DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
0 members and 523 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Vintage

LinkBack Thread Tools
XS 650 'project'
Unread
  (#1)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

XS 650 'project' - April 11, 2012, 10:40 AM

Well, I can't say this is actually a 'project' bike considering it's pretty much built with the exceptions of a few things to my liking.

I picked up this '75 Yamaha XS 650 last night and rode it home from WV, few things I noticed is:

-It wallows/sways from side to side a little when cruising under 40mph, guessing it's either the knobby front tire or modified ride height. I would like to replace the front tire with one that matches the rear...just not sure what size it should be (the knobby looks shorter so I don't want to match its size).

-It only has a rear brake (butt pucker riding is not my ultimate idea of fun) which is actuated via a master cylinder that would normally work the front brake.

-I experienced a somewhat high idle at stop lights, didn't bother adjusting the idle/air screws since it was dark. It would 'spit' every once in a while when accelerating...figured it could be due to the 40deg weather last night.

I'm looking for fork lowers (for 36mm tubes) that have caliper tabs so that I can get the front brakes situated and later address setting up a rear brake master in the original location.

Anyone with a decent grasp on carbs want to give me a quick hand with giving this one a once-over? It's a single carb (converted from 2) which I think is a Mikuni VM36.

Other than those items the bike is great, felt pretty stable around the corners considering the knobby tire and accelerated decently for something that should be putting down 40-50hp.

-Ryan
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

April 11, 2012, 11:04 AM

Nice! Doesn't look anything like the mid seventies XS650 I rode for a year or so back in the early 80's. LOL.

What I recall from that bike was that it had a fair amount of engine vibration. Never tried it with knobbies though.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#3)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 11, 2012, 11:25 AM

Lol. Yea, it has some vibrations but it doesn't seem much different when compared to the 1098.

It's a blast to ride, kind of beings me back to an age when I wasn't around, a nostalgic dream I suppose.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#4)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 11, 2012, 11:31 AM

Nice find, I've always wanted an early 70's XS650. Everything your describing is pretty normal for vintage motorcycles, lol. Seriously though, being it was converted to a single carb makes life a lot easier. These old vintage carbs are a cinch to work on, very very basic. Just make sure all the jets are clean and free of debris. A lot of times the old stale gasoline will corrode and eat through the carbs so look for signs of that. Don't forget to double-check the points gap and timing as that might cause some sputtering as well.
Unread
  (#5)
I'm a llama again!

April 11, 2012, 11:33 AM

If you get lowers you could have them anodized black or maybe powder coat flat black?
Unread
  (#6)
Knarly Adventurer

April 11, 2012, 11:46 AM

Congrats! I like it a lot!
Use the link in my signature to "like" the clubs facebook, then please join us for the kick-off ride on Sunday.

Dynomite Dave and few others from .net will be there.
We have too many Brits... we need more Japs!

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#7)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 11, 2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRacerboy View Post
Nice find, I've always wanted an early 70's XS650. Everything your describing is pretty normal for vintage motorcycles, lol. Seriously though, being it was converted to a single carb makes life a lot easier. These old vintage carbs are a cinch to work on, very very basic. Just make sure all the jets are clean and free of debris. A lot of times the old stale gasoline will corrode and eat through the carbs so look for signs of that. Don't forget to double-check the points gap and timing as that might cause some sputtering as well.
I'll swap out the fuel just in case, I'm not sure when the last time was that he rode it but it's super easy to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
If you get lowers you could have them anodized black or maybe powder coat flat black?
hrmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
Congrats! I like it a lot!
Use the link in my signature to "like" the clubs facebook, then please join us for the kick-off ride on Sunday.

Dynomite Dave and few others from .net will be there.
We have too many Brits... we need more Japs!
I'd love to but I'll be out of town this weekend and next. Count me in for the next one!

-Ryan
Unread
  (#8)
Knarly Adventurer

April 11, 2012, 12:07 PM

Sure thing!

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#9)
Window Licker

April 11, 2012, 01:41 PM

I'd be willing to help look in to the carb situation. Done my share of carb rebuilding and tuning with the old Hondas I have. I'm actually converting the Goldwing from a four carb setup to a single VW carb at the moment.

MARRC corner worker
I bleed racing fuel......
www.marrc.org

Several of you know me a "Junior" at the track due to me driving the crash truck at Summit.
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2015
Received MARRC Presidents Cup 2017
Received MARRC Cup 2018
1985 VT1100C Shadow (rebuilt it after 11 years in a shed) And now dead and locked up. Thanks Slider!
1983 G1100I Goldwing (rebuilt it after "only" 4 years in a barn)
1995 XR250R (got this one for free from a friend)
2003 GSXR600 track bike
2000 SV650 race bike
2000 TTR125/150 mini motard (another free one)
2000 CRF150F mini motard
1979 KDX400 (yup, this was free too)
1982 KLT200 (Kermit)
1984 KLT200 (Miss Piggy)
2004 Gas Gas SM450

Yes, they are all still mine and in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermizzle View Post
Dinky little rods that flop around make me sad
Dave T
Unread
  (#10)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 11, 2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
I'd be willing to help look in to the carb situation. Done my share of carb rebuilding and tuning with the old Hondas I have. I'm actually converting the Goldwing from a four carb setup to a single VW carb at the moment.
That would be awesome and much appreciated! The previous owner says that it should be good to go but being over an hour away it would be nice to get a second set of hands to play with it just in case. I'm gone this friday/sat/sun as well as next weekend, anytime you're available around those dates (or after) I will make sure to be available as well as offer lunch/dinner and alcohol

-Ryan
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

April 11, 2012, 02:10 PM

Nice pickup, should be fun to make it the way you want to. I am building a XS400 and its a pain since it sat for 20 some years
Unread
  (#12)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 11, 2012, 02:28 PM

I like the XS400's as well, great and popular bikes.

Wish I had the time/patients to try restoring one again, I had enough time back in the day and was able to pretty much knock out a '74 TX500 but it wasn't a rust bucket, thankfully.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#13)
Railing!

April 11, 2012, 02:42 PM

Yeah I dont really have the time or too much knowledge but it was my dads and he gave it to me so I figured here and there I would give it a go.
Unread
  (#14)
I hate Hybrid drivers

April 11, 2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
The guy I sold my CB350 Hard Tail Cafe bike to said he was putting a VW carb on it. Silly because the bike ran perfect. I hope he breaks it so I can buy it back, cheap. Interesting tho.
Unread
  (#15)
Licensed Rider

April 11, 2012, 06:48 PM

i have a set forks and brakes for a 75 that I would let go after I get my gsxr swap done. I'm in sterling and have a couple 650. Hit me up if you need any help I'm running two vm34's on the sidecar rig